What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" May 25th - May 31st, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Memorial Day Shave, 2020
proxy.php

Williams~~Mondial~~Game Changer/Gillette Platinum~~Aqua Velva

Take a moment today to remember those who selflessly sacrificed everything for you and me,
especially
Reuben Bechtel, who perished in the Civil War.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MMMonday + GEMonday, some of the fellows are using ASR circa razors during Memorial day shaving tribute to the Huge sacrifices on US citizens and world wide citizens. 1st and 2nd pass I used the my 1912-15 Damaskeene (used in WW1)open comb followed by 3rd pass with my Micromatic 1945 (Peerless model) Clog Pruf. The regular Micromatic Clog Pruf (mfg 1949-43) & Damaskeene closed comb(mfg 1915-19) were razors that were used also by US soldiers on the battle fields & oceans during WW1 & WW2.
In Canada we take time to think about the fallen & wounded on Remembrance Day.(11th hr-11th day-11th month .)

1918-Damaskene-military-outfit.jpg

Razor: Gem Damaskeene open comb - Mfg 1912-15 getting very hard to find in the wild but they do come up.
Razor: Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf Peerless model -Mfg 1945 mid range razor that is well liked.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (7) great blade, very sharp,good longevity and does smooth out after a couple shaves.
Soap: Proraso red sandal wood.
Brush: Yaqi tuxedo knot 24mm synthetic- great brush for lathering, splaying and scrubbing with some back bone.
Pre-shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
Post shave : Proraso red sandal wood aftershave lotion with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 blemish weeper = :a17:great shave with my Gem razors.

MMMonday May 25th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

SOTD, Memorial Day, Monday, May 25th, 2020

Shower + Ach Brito Glyce face lather and rinse
Razorock Fine American Blend shave soap
Ever-Ready badger brush
Torrey 5/8" straight razor
Cool washcloth rinse
Fine American Blend aftershave

Background image "Barber Chairs" by Nancy McIntyre from Smithsonian Institute American Art collection.

proxy.php

L63IOk3VRt3wI.gif

Razor: Gem Junior The Parade Baton Handle
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Maurer and Wirtz 4711
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
L'Occitane Cedrat balm
Pinaud Finest powder
PSX_20200524_084526.jpg

Parker Variant razor
Wilkinson Sword blade MIG (1)
PAA Scentsless pre-shave
Zingari Man The Nomad soap
Envy Shave 25mm Black Wolf synthetic brush
Doug Smith Pottery shave mug
Osma alum block
Stirling Gin and Tonic aftershave balm
Barrister and Mann Seville aftershave

In honor of Memorial Day, I tried to stick to mostly American products, but I couldn't alter my blade testing so the razor and blade doesn't fit. Regardless, great shave!
IMG_20200525_124551443.jpg

87AE816A-9695-4C02-A663-84A1AECAA970.jpeg
EDB4837C-5DBE-4024-81FE-532EF5641760.jpeg

SOTD MONDAY, MAY 25, 2020

As my Gem journey continues, I am consistently reminded by the superb shaves delivered why I enjoy and have collected these razors. The MMOC shave yesterday was superb. Many have described the latter razor as aggressive, but I believe many of the problems people experience with it arise from a failure to rinse frequently enough. There are no lather drains other than the spaces between the teeth on the MMOC. Clogging can be a real problem with to uneven blade exposure leading to a tendency to apply pressure. The result can be nicking. Frequent rinsing avoids the issue.

ASR was clearly aware of the issue as evidenced by the redesign they named the Clog Pruf! Instead of an OC, the revised model, the MMCP, featured a safety bar and good-sized lather drains. See photo. I can’t tell much difference in the shave, but did have another excellent one with my MMCP this morning. The only change between yesterday’s shave and today’s was the brush selected.

For today’s shave I chose my Jayaruh Custom Boar #372. Jim’s brushes have never let me down, and today’s lather production maintained the trend. Nancy Boy Signature shave cream is a pleasure to shave with. As a shaver who enjoys a great deal of variety, I find myself reaching for this spectacular cream every morning. As a confirmed menth head, I do own many menthol soaps from Cryogen to Snake Bite to Obsidian Glacial. None of the latter delivers the great post shave feel as Nancy Boy enhanced with 6 drops of M-Bomb which seems to build with each consecutive shave.

The MMCP was a pleasure to shave with. I’m hand it has the same heft as its predecessor and shaves every bit as well. I loaded a fresh Pella blade and had at it. I find the quality of shave indistinguishable from the MMOC. Two passes (WTG, ATG) reopened the baby’s room and delivered a perfect VBBS! My mug and noggin are velveteen smooth! I feel clean, cool, smooth and ready for Our Memorial Day Zoom with old friends.

RAZOR: Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf (MMCP)
BLADE: Pella SS PTFE Gem
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: Jayaruh Custom Boar #372
CREAM: Nancy Boy Signature
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH and Krampert’s Frostbite AS Splash. Finished with A&E Post-Shave Serum.

Monday Morning Mixup:

Brush: Jefferson Magic Hour B8
Razor: Gillette English Flat Bottom Tech
Blade: Gillette Platinum (5)
Lather: Summer Break Soaps Field Day
Post Shave: CL 88 Chestnut Salve
Frag: Nuit D'lssey

This was an excellent shave. I had to rush this one a little bit as I had a meeting to get to: SBS soap lathers up quickly and makes a fantastic lather. I had no issues with the Tech gliding along my skin. The sweet grass scent of Field day went well 88 chestnut I thought. The scent was refreshing during the shave and 88 Chestnut hits again with bright citrus post-shave. Really good combination for a hot, humid day.

But then came the Nuit D'lssey - this has some citrus in the top notes but the 'darker' pepper and tobacco stick around> gave me a slight headache at the start too. It did not go well with the 88 Chestnut for me but I knew that it was not a good pairing. I just wanted to give this one a try.

Overall, loving the Tech - it's smooth and I'm getting the hang of it where I don't end up with scrapes. Really nice for a daily shaver (and quite the looker too)

proxy.php

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
MONDAY, 25 May 2020

Lather: Body Shop Maca Root cream
Bowl: Silicone dog feeder
Brush: Haircut & Shave synth
Razor: Oristo
Blade: Dorco Prime (7)
Balm: CeraVe
Frag: Vera Wang Men
A quiet commemoration here