What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" August 17th - August 23rd, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Date:- 17 August 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Whispers from the Woods (Australian made) ~ All Things Nice "Spiced Sandalwood & Honey" :001_wub:
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34C / Gillette Nacet #10
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (5) / The Stray Whisker Aftershave Balm (Australian made)

Pre: Hot Shower
Soap: Arko
Razor: DE89 head on WCS handle
Blade: Gillette Nacet
Brush: Omega Pro 49
Bowl: Timeless Black
A/S: Gillette Cool Wave
AE6ED170-972B-4ECB-888B-57D3FE1AFDC5.jpeg

MacaRoot Mon 17 SOTD
Cream MacaRoot & Aloe
Bowl Timeless
Brush Yaqi 24mm Aqua Tuxedo
Razor Gillette Super Adjustable U-1
Blade Wizamet Iridium Super 5th
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + MacaRoot Aloe Gel
Good creamy lather with nice scent and slickness.
Shave with razor paired with blade at setting 9 for 3+1 multiple passes was good. Smooth, comfortable and almost no blade feel. This razor has been long ignored. Am pleased with the performance and the bbs to dfs result.
Icy water rinse followed by Thayers then Hyaluronic and MacaRoot Aloe Gel felt great. Rating 9.3/10
20200817_131802.jpg

20200817_132351.jpg

Today's shave

Atlas 888 13/16" Japanese straight razor. This thing has a great edge. It was NOS when I got it. All I had to do was run it on the Naniwa 8k then Naniwa 12k. I didn't even have to stay on either stone long. I do want to see if I can get a good JNAT edge on it.

Pelican Japanese strop. I really love Japanese strops. The leather feels softer than most other strops. This strop is a bit worn but still feels great.

Paladin Malachite PK-47 24mm 2CLND3 knot. Thank you @Hannah's Dad so I've always wondered why these brushes cost so much. You can get amazing brushes for a lot less. Now my experience with Paladin brushes is one shave so I'm far from an expert on these. I love this knot. It has tons of backbone and really soft tips.the best way I can describe it is the best part of a silvertip knot and the backbone of a good 2band knot combined. Are all of Paladin's knot like this?I really like it. I'm sure I will get a couple more.

Flowers In The Dark soap. I really love the scent of this soap. It's the first lavender soap I've truly loved the scent of. It's a great soap as well. I had to have it once I saw the label. I mean come on look at it. LOL.

Clubman Pinaud Whiskey Woods aftershave.

20200817_065241_compress10.jpg

SOTD MONDAY MORNING, AUGUST 17, 2020

Today will be an auspicious day! My new Tradere arrives along with a freshly cut jasper hone. But the best part of my day was my head shave! A good Japanese friend, Toshi, who I used to work with, and is also actively involved in our hobby, sent me a magazine of Schick Twinjector blades when he heard I owned a Supply V2 SS razor. He recommended my trying it for a head shave. Now these blades are much thicker than regular injector blades and were designed with their own blade holder in mind. They can be problematic to load into the traditional models preceding the Type L. He claimed they wouldn’t work with the Hydromagic, but I was able to load a blade in mine with the key.

A head shaver himself, he recommended using the 3 Dot plate on the Supply and manually loading a twinjector blade. I did as he suggested, but did notice that the attachment screw wouldn’t Tighten all the way. In any case, the head shave was every bit as good as my AC razor shaves loaded with a Feather Super. He claims he’s gotten up to 40 shaves on one of these blades. All I know is that the VBBS on my head feels great! Every bit the equivalent of an AC razor shave. There was no difference in feel at all that I could pinpoint.

Ben was over quite early today and honed my Lord straight razor with his barber hone sized jasper stone and water to a gleaming cutting edge. What I found curious was his killing the edge on the face of the stone before beginning. He explained that it removed accumulated chaff from the honing process. Regardless, the shave with the touched up razor was different than I have experienced before. I felt like I was just brushing the lather away. The resulting face shave was the best I’ve experienced with a straight razor. VBBS above the jawline, and just about a VBBS- below that I easily cleaned up With the Twinjector loaded Supply razor. Unbelievably close! I feel cool, very clean and exquisitely velveteen!

RAZOR: Lord 6/8 (Mug), SS Supply V2 (Dome)
BLADE: Schick InjectorII (Dome)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Rabid Banana Preshave Cube
BRUSH: Omega Pro48 Boar
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat w/ 6 drops of M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Osage Rub. Finished with Cremo Cooling Post Shave Balm.

7DE32CF8-E5EC-428F-9344-47F99DE052E2.jpeg

Razor: Gem Featherweight Deluxe
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Cremo Brushless Shaving Cream
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
PSX_20200816_084324.jpg

Status