What's new

Some new stuff emerges from the wood storm in my garage! Wood Handled Brushes! [PICS]

Hi gents!

Been a while since my last update from the garage! I thought I'd share with you the latest stuff to emerge from the wood shavings :)

I've been experimenting with some new techniques, inspired here and there by some of the work of you fine folks here and elsewhere.

$05-21-2013_1.jpg

This first pic (from left to right) - some big handles I've been trying out

1. Big blood wood shown with TGN finest 22mm
2. Hickory - I scorched this on the lathe with a torch prior to a danish oil first 2 coats finish. I couldn't be happier with the results. It really brings out some character in certain lighter coloured woods like this.
3. Gabon ebony top, Canadian maple bottom. This brush was inspired by an old restore one of you guys did a while ago. I really liked the shape and thought I'd give it a go. Very nice. I'm thinking I may paint on the "Gillette" script logo in white on the ebony part to add some flair.

$05-21-2013_2.jpg

First three in progress (from left to right)
1. Mystery wood, but I believe it was birch. I torched it in similar fashion to #2 above, but experimented a bit more with highlighting regions. This is a neat technique that I expect will only get better with practice. I find using a nice oil base finish makes a huge difference in this. Both this brush and the previous #2 really were very lightly torched. It was the oil that brings out the darkness!
2. Another bloodwood. Happy with the shape.
3. Gabon ebony. This piece will be paired up with the matching ebony razor handle to see above #2 for a nice complete set!

As always, comments and feedback appreciated! Thanks a bunch guys!

Rpb

Love 'em! The mystery wood is my favorite, especially the "stouter" look ... but the shine on all of them is incredible. Quite the talent, sir!

Here's a closer shot of the stubbier "mystery" wood brush. This still needs several more coats of finish. This is after 2 layers of Danish oil.

$05-21-2013_3.jpg

Rob, I really like the Blood Wood!

Excellent work on all!

Thanks!!!

I really love the bloodwood too. I have a TON of it, so I'm actively trying to use some of the other wood I have floating around for variety. :)

I have an old friend who lives on the west coast of Canada who is a real master woodworker - makes larger scale stuff - beds, dressers, tables etc. etc.

He was nice enough to ship me about 40 lbs of his left over trimmings a few weeks ago. A mix of pen size and brush size blanks, but I basically only had to pay for the shipping - about $25 for easily at least $300-$400 worth of quality wood. I'm all stocked up for a while :)

Those are some nice handles you have made.

I am getting into larger handles after picking up a BRW long cocobolo handle brush from a B&B member about a month ago.

Keep it up and keep posting pics of your work!!!

Well, the wife is mad at me. Brand new shirt I was wearing and salivated all over it when I saw your creations! Holy cow! Those are beautiful! :drool::drool:

Thanks!!!

I really love the bloodwood too. I have a TON of it, so I'm actively trying to use some of the other wood I have floating around for variety. :)

I have an old friend who lives on the west coast of Canada who is a real master woodworker - makes larger scale stuff - beds, dressers, tables etc. etc.

He was nice enough to ship me about 40 lbs of his left over trimmings a few weeks ago. A mix of pen size and brush size blanks, but I basically only had to pay for the shipping - about $25 for easily at least $300-$400 worth of quality wood. I'm all stocked up for a while :)

On the blood wood, what is the composition like (heavy versus light)? How hard is it to turn? Is the wood hard or soft?

Top Bottom