What's new

Solo Trip To The Boundary Waters

Blake... I'm seriously starting to question this whole "solo trip" to the "boundry waters" thing.... I'm pretty sure I just saw you in Vegas. :batman:

(Why you were posing with Black Elvis and White Michael Jackson was more than confusing, btw.)

I usually take matches and several disposable butane lighters. I put the lighters in different parts of my kit. I'm OCD about having fire.

We have a word for that I believe, my friend. Pyromaniac comes to mind. :tongue_sm

All joking aside, though I do the same. Knives too. I can never have too many knives on a trip. :blush:

You'll need rope to hang your dedicated food pack from a tree. If you don't keep all of your in one pack and hang it, you'll run the real risk of bear ending your trip when it rips trough your gear. Happens every year up there.

Excellent point. Bring rope Blake, you'll need it.

Last edited:
You'll need rope to hang your dedicated food pack from a tree. If you don't keep all of your in one pack and hang it, you'll run the real risk of bear ending your trip when it rips trough your gear. Happens every year up there.

I have a couple of different ropes I am bringing. Wanting to bring a pulley too. I am thinking of rigging up some homemade bear hooks.

Blake... I'm seriously starting to question this whole "solo trip" to the "boundry waters" thing.... I'm pretty sure I just saw you in Vegas. :batman:

(Why you were posing with Black Elvis and White Michael Jackson was more than confusing, btw.)

:lol::lol:

I have a couple of different ropes I am bringing. Wanting to bring a pulley too. I am thinking of rigging up some homemade bear hooks.

:lol::lol:

A carabiner works almost as well instead of a pulley. If you need the pulley to assist with the canoe, that's great. Otherwise consider a carabiner or two for levering your pack into the air.

If you do hook a bear, what are you going to do with it? Throw it back? Do you have a bear license?

A carabiner works almost as well instead of a pulley. If you need the pulley to assist with the canoe, that's great. Otherwise consider a carabiner or two for levering your pack into the air.

If you do hook a bear, what are you going to do with it? Throw it back? Do you have a bear license?

That isn't a bad idea actually. And as for bears, I only practice catch & release.....unless it is cold and I need the fur. :lol:

Heck, I want to know how he plans on getting it off the hook in the first place. :lol:

A really big one of these? :lol:

proxy.php

Alright, today was an eventful day! I took my boat out for her maiden voyage, at least maiden for me. She did great! I did get caught in a thunderstorm but was able to get in safely before the lightning started. I took my pack so I could see how she did loaded. It is a lot less stable than I am used to but she glides through the water like an eagle soaring on the wind. I found the kayak paddle works great for this boat too. I am quite happy with her. She has been christened "Maya"!

Alright, today was an eventful day! I took my boat out for her maiden voyage, at least maiden for me. She did great! I did get caught in a thunderstorm but was able to get in safely before the lightning started. I took my pack so I could see how she did loaded. It is a lot less stable than I am used to but she glides through the water like an eagle soaring on the wind. I found the kayak paddle works great for this boat too. I am quite happy with her. She has been christened "Maya"!

So.... you're storm attracting abilities aren't limited to motorcycles. Good to know. :biggrin:

Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

Nice pics Blake, and wonderful looking boat, you got a great deal on it.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Nice can-you. :thumbup1:

I'm getting jealous reading this thread. I could see myself doing this. I'm not sure about Mrs. T though. Even though she loves kayaking, I think she would have a problem with the portage thing, maybe the bugs, lack of texting...

Nice can-you. :thumbup1:

I'm getting jealous reading this thread. I could see myself doing this. I'm not sure about Mrs. T though. Even though she loves kayaking, I think she would have a problem with the portage thing, maybe the bugs, lack of texting...

Yes, those are problems. Also, being alone with my own thoughts is scary too My mind isn't a place you want to find yourself alone. A dark alley in New York City may be safer. :lol:

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.

Do you have some dry bags for keeping your gear dry when you tip-over? :blink:

I hope he didn't have the same experience I had in the Boundary Waters....but that is another story

Chances are unlikely unless you too had an experience with a near drowning, beating a guy with a canoe paddle, and sunburning your bum b/c you packed only chaps.

Top Bottom