What's new

Solo Trip To The Boundary Waters

The usual method of attaching a yolk is with a clamp to the gunwales, although there are some systems with permanent mounts on the canoe itself to attach the yolk to.

Get the yolk before the trip if you can. That way can practice lifting the canoe onto your shoulders. There's a method for doing that.

You want to stand with the canoe on your right side, facing it at about a 45 degree angle. Roll the canoe so that it is on it's side with the keel facing you. Then grab the yolk with your left hand on the low side and your right hand on the high side. Roll the canoe so that the top side is facing you and stand straight up, bringing the canoe as high as your waist. It is important that your back is straight before you put the canoe on your shoulders. Once straight, then lift the canoe onto your shoulders and grab the thwart in front of you for control. Then off you go down the trail.

Once you have mastered that, then do it with a pack on. And if you want to do your portages in a single trip, do it with both packs on by mounting your food pack on your front first. Then the backpack, and pick up the canoe.

For a solo canoe i greatly prefer a really long kayak paddle. That gives me much greater power and control over the canoe than a traditional single paddle. A long paddle makes it easier to clear the gunwales and paddle without banging into the boat.

The usual method of attaching a yolk is with a clamp to the gunwales, although there are some systems with permanent mounts on the canoe itself to attach the yolk to.

Get the yolk before the trip if you can. That way can practice lifting the canoe onto your shoulders. There's a method for doing that.

You want to stand with the canoe on your right side, facing it at about a 45 degree angle. Roll the canoe so that it is on it's side with the keel facing you. Then grab the yolk with your left hand on the low side and your right hand on the high side. Roll the canoe so that the top side is facing you and stand straight up, bringing the canoe as high as your waist. It is important that your back is straight before you put the canoe on your shoulders. Once straight, then lift the canoe onto your shoulders and grab the thwart in front of you for control. Then off you go down the trail.

Once you have mastered that, then do it with a pack on. And if you want to do your portages in a single trip, do it with both packs on by mounting your food pack on your front first. Then the backpack, and pick up the canoe.

For a solo canoe i greatly prefer a really long kayak paddle. That gives me much greater power and control over the canoe than a traditional single paddle. A long paddle makes it easier to clear the gunwales and paddle without banging into the boat.

Thanks for the advice! I plan on getting the canoe Friday and figured a yolk would be the next thing to worry about. Thanks again.

In my last canoe I mounted the yolk in the center thwart position, just swapped them out.

It's not critical that the canoe be balanced perfectly there,you can slide your paddles around to get the balance right, I like mine a little stern heavy. Adding some lines at each end of the thwarts as tie downs for your gear also is a good idea.

JP that is a well written description of picking up a canoe!:thumbup1:

Okay, here is the other little bonus for my trip. Typically, I carry a combat/hunting knife and a pocket knife. Depending on what I am planning on running into, I also carry a Kukri. But, I have never liked the pocket knife and always wanted something more secure. On this trip, I will still have a pocket folder as a back up. But, Thirdeye and I designed a custom knife together. Here is what we designed: Satin finished, stainless steel blade. It is cryogenically treated for edgeholding and is 10-1/4" overall. The blade length is 4-1/2" with partial false edge and thumb grooves. The handle is Silver Twill Carbon Fiber and raised stainless steel rivets. Ray has assured me this knife is Blake-proof. In about 3 weeks, we will see! He is mailing it to me tomorrow! :thumbup:

Another update. I got my canoe today! It is beautiful! I can't wait to take her out and give her a test run. :thumbup1:

Nice, so what do you think now that you have it in hand?

Oh and get yourself some canned air, Blake. Your keyboard is very, very dusty.

Nice, so what do you think now that you have it in hand?

Oh and get yourself some canned air, Blake. Your keyboard is very, very dusty.

It is a lot bigger than I had envisioned. It is rather heavy too, but that is not a bad thing. I really love it. It definitely feels like it will survive from Hades and back. :thumbup1:

And also NOT displaying the B&B homepage! :glare:

:001_tt2:

Update: I am drawing to the final countdaown before my trip. I almost have the sheath for my knife complete. It isn't fancy but will wok and is just getting thrown together really. I think I have all of my gear gathered. I just have to assemble it and get it packed. I have my clothes all treated with Permethrin. I have an eye bolt to install on the stern deck of my canoe. This will be primarily for trasportation purposes. Weather has not been cooperative so I still have not had it out yet. Hopefully, next weekend. Next is to get my food and last odds & ends purchased and packed.

So far I have:
  • clothing
  • canoe
  • partial med kit. Need a few things yet
  • two 12 X 12 tarps
  • Hammock
  • sleeping bag
  • cook set
  • alcohol stove
  • rope
  • cord
  • duct tape
  • sewing and leather repair kit
  • camera gear
  • knives
  • folding saw
  • matches
  • life vest
  • maps
  • 2 compasses
  • fishing pole
  • tackle
  • Water filter/pump
  • bungees
  • water jug

I am sure there is more but this is off the top of my head.

I usually take matches and several disposable butane lighters. I put the lighters in different parts of my kit. I'm OCD about having fire.

I also like to take a small piece of tyvek, about the size of a placemat. I have one I made by cutting open a FedEx large shipping envelope. I hate sitting on wet surfaces when hiking. It just galls my butt. :001_smile I use the little tyvek sheet to make a dry, clean surface to sit on. I use it directly on the ground to make a little food prep area at mealtimes. It weighs nearly nothing, takes up almost no space, and washes clean with a quick rinse in the water.

So far I have:
  • clothing
  • canoe
  • partial med kit. Need a few things yet
  • two 12 X 12 tarps
  • Hammock
  • sleeping bag
  • cook set
  • alcohol stove
  • rope
  • cord
  • duct tape
  • sewing and leather repair kit
  • camera gear
  • knives
  • folding saw
  • matches
  • life vest
  • maps
  • 2 compasses
  • fishing pole
  • tackle
  • Water filter/pump
  • bungees
  • water jug

I am sure there is more but this is off the top of my head.

Add on:

SuperGlue / cyanoacrylate (great for cuts!)

and

wait for it.............

Pants.

I usually take matches and several disposable butane lighters. I put the lighters in different parts of my kit. I'm OCD about having fire.

I also like to take a small piece of tyvek, about the size of a placemat. I have one I made by cutting open a FedEx large shipping envelope. I hate sitting on wet surfaces when hiking. It just galls my butt. :001_smile I use the little tyvek sheet to make a dry, clean surface to sit on. I use it directly on the ground to make a little food prep area at mealtimes. It weighs nearly nothing, takes up almost no space, and washes clean with a quick rinse in the water.

Ah, yes. I was going to buy some lighters. I also have a magnesium fire starter. The Tyvek idea isn't bad.

Add on:

SuperGlue / cyanoacrylate (great for cuts!)

and

wait for it.............

Pants.

Should have known. :001_rolle

You'll need rope to hang your dedicated food pack from a tree. If you don't keep all of your in one pack and hang it, you'll run the real risk of bear ending your trip when it rips trough your gear. Happens every year up there.

Top Bottom