What's new

Socks... Which color?

I own two pairs of white socks. Almost never use them. Unsightly in most circumstances in my opinion. They show dirt easily too.

I like the quote about a gentleman choosing socks based on mood, really like it. I think the "trick" here though is "match OR compliment." Just do one or the other and you're fine.

I occasionally wear nice, brown dress socks with more casual black dress shoes. Looks awesome. With grey, loads of things work. Maroon, green, brown, grey, tan if you're wearing brown shoes, black..

And what do you go by when wearing shorts? In Summer, for example. The colour of your shorts? Compliment your skin tone? What? I have blue suede shoes (yeah!) and I'm looking forward to them, khaki shorts plus maroon socks this summer.

Not what I said, was it? I own plenty of white socks, I just choose not to wear them except in the most casual circumstances, for instance if I don't plan on putting on shoes at all. Chances are, if you see me wearing white socks with jeans, it is only because I am not wearing any shoes at all and I am just hanging around the house.

No it wasn't but you match socks to pants and have white socks it means you probably own white pants, which makes me shudder a bit. :biggrin1:

I am not sure about matching tan socks to khakis. I do not see that done very often if ever, and I went to Virginia, where there is a log of khaki wearing going on.

I would try not to wear black socks with a blue suit, but I do not see folks even botherinig to wear gray socks with a gray suit, although I often do.

I would generally wear white socks only with athletic shoes, which I might wear with jeans. But I generally go sockless with jeans. That may be just me.

Patterns and colors are okay with casual stuff as far as I am concerned, I would say that patterned socks work well with Weejuns (penny loafers) and khakis.

I would say that what one really ought to do if they are concerned about it is watch the comments in these threads. If a certain number of folks think something is not "correct," and you want to be sure no one around you thinks you do not know what you are doing when it comes to dressing, do not do whatever even a minority of folks do not like! I am not always correct myself, but I generally try to do that conciously! And I feel confident enough to know what the "rules" are, at least among the prep school types. I did not go to prep school, but I generally dress that way. Saves keeping up with fashion!

One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art. ~Oscar Wilde

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I always match my sock color with my pants, maybe the sock a little bit darker than the pants, but never lighter! Often when wearing khakis, I wear argyle patterns, but with the matching color to the pants as the main color.
I do see, however, a lot of my colleagues wearing dark socks, even black with khakis, but for me that is a "nono", same for white socks, I don't think I even own a pair of white socks. Another "nono" are long dark socks with shorts.....:w00t:

But then, I Germany I had a colleague who only wore one sock color, with any clothing, dress-up, khakis or jeans: bright red, hand knitted cotton socks!!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The rules of socks:

Epic Fail: white tube socks.

Semi-epic Fail: non-white tube socks.

Basic: the socks should be the same colour as the pants, but perhaps a touch darker in shade.

Slightly more advanced: the socks should be in a colour which compliments the pants.

Advanced: the socks should be in a colour which not only compliments the pants, but also harmonises with the rest of the outfit.

We all :ouch1::ouch1:: the socks 'match' nothing at all in the outfilt, but still somehow 'fit' with the overall appearance.

"The businessman matches his socks to his pants, the gentleman matches his socks to his mood."

Argyle all the time!

I do have some plain black ones as well, but mainly a bunch of different argyles. Usually match to the pant, but sometimes to other parts of clothing. For example, cousin had a spring wedding last year, wore black suit with purple shirt, black and purple tie and purple pocket square. I went with purple argyle sock, with the diamond shapes being a darker purple and grey.

I am going to take another shot at what to wear with khakis. I do not quite advise it--I would wear oxblood as a first choice or Topsiders without socks--but I think it is acceptable if the shoes are casual enough--I see folks wear black shoes, say, penny loafers, with khakis. My gut reaction is that tan socks, or even rather dark tan socks with black shoes, just are not going to look right, at least to me. Maybe my taste is off. Like I said, I do not like black shoes with kahkis anyway.

White socks for work. Black socks for everything else.

Hanes brand, all the way. Makes it real easy to sort them out when I do laundry.

Jeans, if I'm wearing Nike type shoe I wear a natual wool colored sock. not white more dirty cream colored. If I'm wearing boat shoes/loafters then no socks. When the snow and ice are nasty I wear warm socks with boots.

I saw a really good slideshow on GQ about style rebels in the fashion community and one of the slides was about socks. I believe it said to match your socks with your shirt instead of pants because well, thats boring!

Top Bottom