What's new

SOC Badger

I just ordered this brush for less than $60 thinking it was a great deal on a Two Band Silvertip brush by a reputable company. Since ordering it, I've read some reviewers say that it is not silvertip, but closer to a Simpsons best hair? I already have a den full of Simpsons brushes and do not need to replicate what I already have (except the handle). My question: Is this brush just a glorified Duke 3 or does it offer something different. Nick Shaves gave it a rave review referring to it as a Silvertip brush. To those who have it and also Simpsons best brushes; should I just return it unused to Amazon and save my money?

I own two SOC badgers and while I never used them, I never expected them to be a "two band silvertip".
As a matter of fact they are advertised as stuffed with a Finest knot. This is what I got anyway.

Here is an excerpt from the Vintage Scent page describing SOC badger:
"This brush is the first Semogue that is stuffed with the very exclusive 2 band Finest badger hair."

So I don't know where this Silvertip idea comes from. In my opinion, fear not, you will get a different experience than using a Best by Simpson. I say that because I used quite a few Finest and Best brushes and consider them different.

If you have buyer's remorse that is another story.

I'm looking for a badger brush that will have more backbone than Simpsons Chubbies and Dukes. Sometimes they feel floppy when loading soaps, but fine for applying cream to my face. I want backbone in a badger hair brush. I know I could always return it to Amazon if it doesn't meet my expectations, but I'm curious about the two-band hair that I thought was silvertip. All my Simpsons brushes, either best or super are three-band.

What I can say is that their latest 2-band knot is pretty soft. The one I have since 2013 is a bit scratchy but I love it. Actually, it's the only "expensive" badger I own. I am not a badger fan, but the SOC 2Band is a truly great brush. The size of the knot, which is 24mm, is the ideal if you ask me.
No need for a bigger size, except if your face is huge...

What I can say is that their latest 2-band knot is pretty soft. The one I have since 2013 is a bit scratchy but I love it. Actually, it's the only "expensive" badger I own. I am not a badger fan, but the SOC 2Band is a truly great brush. The size of the knot, which is 24mm, is the ideal if you ask me.
No need for a bigger size, except if your face is huge...
Thanks for the reply!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'm looking for a badger brush that will have more backbone than Simpsons Chubbies and Dukes. Sometimes they feel floppy when loading soaps, but fine for applying cream to my face. I want backbone in a badger hair brush. I know I could always return it to Amazon if it doesn't meet my expectations, but I'm curious about the two-band hair that I thought was silvertip. All my Simpsons brushes, either best or super are three-band.

I don't own the Simpsons you reference, but I find the SOC badger has plenty of backbone. I don't think you'll be disappointed. The tips are pretty face friendly. I think it's a really nice brush for face lathering. Best handle in the business for my hand.

I don't own the Simpsons you reference, but I find the SOC badger has plenty of backbone. I don't think you'll be disappointed. The tips are pretty face friendly. I think it's a really nice brush for face lathering. Best handle in the business for my hand.
Thanks, I have the SOC boar so I’m familiar with the handle. I’d like to be able to sell some of my other badgers and use the boars and a couple of badgers with more scrub and backbone.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Thanks, I have the SOC boar so I’m familiar with the handle. I’d like to be able to sell some of my other badgers and use the boars and a couple of badgers with more scrub and backbone.

You will find the SOC badger is smaller with both more scrub and backbone.

I used this brush this morning for the first time. I started it out with a T&H Trafalgar cream. I was very happy with it, good backbone, held plenty of lather for 3 passes and touch-up. I think this brush is definitely a keeper. I'm hoping the wood handle will last. I also have the SOC boar bristle brush that has less than 10 lathers on it, so my only concern is the wood handles. BTW, both are cherry wood. Has anyone had experience with these handles long term?

I used this brush this morning for the first time. I started it out with a T&H Trafalgar cream. I was very happy with it, good backbone, held plenty of lather for 3 passes and touch-up. I think this brush is definitely a keeper. I'm hoping the wood handle will last. I also have the SOC boar bristle brush that has less than 10 lathers on it, so my only concern is the wood handles. BTW, both are cherry wood. Has anyone had experience with these handles long term?
Enjoy it!

Don't worry about the handle. I have mine since 2014 and it's still in like new condition.

Enjoy it!

Like with any wood handle:
- soak knot only, while keeping handle above water
- don't hit the bowl or mug since that would mar the finish.

I have the same and my handle is like new also, even though I have had only a year. I just dry the handle off with my towel after washing it out. Agree with the others that you should have no problems.

Top Bottom