What's new

Soaps that perform in hard water

As many of you are aware, I travel extensively for work which requires many over night stays in hotels. At home I have a water softener, and thus have little to no problem making good lather. However; when I travel, some of the products that work well at home perform poorly. With that in mind, I'm looking for recommendations on soaps or creams that perform well with hard water.

Yes; I know I can use distilled water, but I'm usually only in a hotel three or four nights and a full gallon would be a waste.

La Toja shaving stick works well with hard water. It's in my travel bag.

I have not tried La Toja. I do have an Arko stick as well as Lea. I've used Arko while traveling, but it really dries out my skin with hard water.

I'm going to have to pick up some La Toja.

You can look for creams that have Tetrasodium EDTA. It is a chelating agent. It softens water. Proraso and C. O. Bigelow creams have it.

You can look for creams that have Tetrasodium EDTA. It is a chelating agent. It softens water. Proraso and C. O. Bigelow creams have it.

I do have a small tub of Proraso Green cream. I have Green soap, and have used it a few times while traveling.

Tabac seems to do well in hard water.

I do have Tabac on my list of soaps to try.

I'm on well water and switching to blooming my soaps and face lathering made all the difference. If I can get a good lather at home with a soap, I can take it anywhere (in the US anyway). Harris, Captain's Choice, Stirling, and SRD all work for me. Tabac also lathers good, but it causes some extra redness to my old mug so I don't use it as often as I'd like.

Reef Point Soaps and Barrister and Mann are two I have used that work extremely well in hard water. Stirling soaps from my experience are also top notch in the hard water department.

My go-to travel soap is the Palmolive stick. It performs flawlessly in hard water IMO and it's cheap as well.

I tried to use the La Toja stick in hard water and couldn't get a lather. Could be user error--I'll bring it along next time and give it another go. I know for a fact that La Toja is excellent in soft water, though.

Edit: I've had good success with Barrister & Mann soaps in hard water too.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Martin de Candre

That stuff would lather if you rubbed a rock on it. Make some into a shave stick and you have what is probably the best travel shave soap ever. Some would argue the best soap period.

Arko, Palmolive, Derby sticks, anything Haslinger. I have very hard water and have no trouble making lather with anything, including Williams. Col Conk soaps do well too for me.

I have hard water. I have had excellent results with Spieck soap and all Haslingers soaps. In fact, I find these to be very similar products.

I think any soap will work with hard water, you just need to load more of it. Rocks come out of the faucet where I live so I have learned to load heavy but haslinger seems to require the least loading time. It’s a pretty small puck to begin with so it would travel well and people have formed it into a stick for this purpose. Added bonus is it’s really awesome too.

My solution for hard water.... 96A429C3-F5BB-45F9-8A20-867594167E26.png EACB81C1-D153-42BE-AC06-DC29AE5328B9.jpeg BF057276-EFE1-42FD-9722-25233D065AAB.jpeg

Cheap, easy to pop on a faucet, and lasts on my sink 3 months. I put one in my dopp, filtered water wherever I go.

So most of the soaps that I see listed here (Haslinger excepted) do not have much of a reputation of having good post-shave feelings. I'd love to minimize the need of AS when travelling. Any other suggestions of good travel soaps with great post-shave?

I'm thinking of the Barrister & Mann Reserve line as a possible solution.

The one soap that has worked the best in the hard water at my GF house is Cooper & French. Very surprising since it doesnt get much mention, but this soap deserves a medal IMO. Sandalwood & Amber is intoxicating as well.

Top Bottom