What's new

Soaps that perform in hard water

Does hard water affect slickness as well? I have hard water, and generally don't have a problem making a good lather with any soaps or creams, but I've found that a lot of the creams I've sampled, and even some tallow-based soaps, don't have much slickness.

The calcium and magnesium in hard water precipitate fatty acids (the soap scum you get on the sink and razor), and that can reduce slickness. The cure is to use a little more soap or maybe add a drop or two of glycerine.

The calcium and magnesium in hard water precipitate fatty acids (the soap scum you get on the sink and razor), and that can reduce slickness. The cure is to use a little more soap or maybe add a drop or two of glycerine.

Thanks...I'll give that a try.

As mentioned already, Haslinger.

If you would like to try Mitchell’s Wool Fat, but the stories about poor lathering qualities when lathering with hard wate have put you off, try Haslinger Schafsmilch (ewe’s milk).

It feels similar and gives similar results, copes much better with hard water, and is also available in a small metal container with screw cap that makes it perfect for travelling.

B.

I was a water plant operator for a long time and did some experiments with our raw water (well) and 3 shaving soaps. The well water was around 21-22 grains of total hardness. The soaps I tried were Harris, Tabac and MWF. I was expecting to have some issues but to my surprise I had none with the exception of MWF which just took a little longer but it still produced a good lather. Hardly definitive but those were my results. With our treated water (5-6 grains) I've only had issues with 2 soaps I've ever purchased and no Williams isn't one of them.

I am in a hard water area and have never had a problem, even with MWF.

In fact, I never notice any difference with soft water.

I experimented with distilled water a few times to see if there would be a big difference
from my hard sink water, I didn't see a difference. I'm sure that there probably is as my
experiment was just some distilled water out of a cup a few times. I think most of my lather
issues were due to not loading heavy enough.

Tallow never failed to produce protective lather for me. And my water is as hard as a hammer.

I can get TOBS soap to lather up in water over 300 Mg/l CaCo3.
I do it in a mug rather than on my face, if that makes any difference.

All soaps and creams lather great in hard water. I have just tried Saponificio varesino, manna Sicilian and it produces lather in bucket loads .
Shaving soap seems to be unlike bath soap which does not perform as well in hard water areas.

Top Bottom