What's new

Soap Value vs Cost per Gram

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
The triple milled Razrock What-The-Puck soaps also provide some of the best value out there. Often sold on sale for under $3 for a 100 gram puck. Roughly 3 cents per shave at a one gram usage rate. Similar and even identical formulations to some pucks that are much more expensive. Look up my earlier posts/reviews of these soaps.
Yes you are correct with the What- The- Puck soaps I forgot to mention those also. I have a lot of soaps Razorock offers and they work well and the cost per shave can be rewarding for folks who like to save when it comes to shaving.

Whether it's MDC or Nuavia, or Williams, generally speaking, i use about 1 g of soap per shave, on average. Value though, I determine value against how much I like the soap, or not. For example, B&M is less per gram than MDC but I don't like most B&M soaps. I am not a fanboy of MDC either, but I like it more than B&M.
So there is no value in B&M for me. Sterling is the least per gram on that list, but I never got along with them either.
Wool Fat is in the middle of the road cost-wise I think, and it's a good soap but I don't love it, it works fine, I just don't bond with it.
In that list, D.R. Harris soaps would probably be my choice, based on personal preference...which is where the value of a soap is for me. If its price pre gram was twice as high, it would still be my choice.

Does MdC ($.35/g) last significantly longer than SV ($.21/g)? I understand they are similar in performance.

Also does Canada (CSS) ($.17/g) last as long as MdC? I've heard rumors that CSS is a copy of MdC.

A soap is a good value IF it provides the lather properties you need for your shave.

For my tough beard and sensitive skin, I have not found SV to provide what I require from a shave soap. Thus, for me, it is a poor value. I have not tried MdC as the ingredient list do not contain the things I look for in a suitable soap for my shave. For some shavers it might be wonderful.

Arko is very inexpensive base on cost per gram. However, I used it once and never used it again. Thus, for me, it was a very poor value.

There are some artisan soaps in your list that cost in the $25-30 range that I consider to be great values because they allow me to get a superb shave.

You cannot always go by the experience of others when determining what to purchase. You beard and skin may not be the same as those providing recommendations. Some people can use Arko and get a fine shave; but some cannot.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
So far I only have hard data on three of the soaps, but I figure my cost on what it would actually cost to use the soap every day for a year.

As I recall:
MdC - $45 a year (but I purchase two at a time, which lowers shipping cost).
SV - $135 a year.
WK - $75 a year.

Italian barber (Razorock)has some great soaps and I enjoy buying them on sale and they seem to work just as good as my high end soaps. Some of my favorites are RR XXX, RR Santa Maria del Fiore and RR The Dead sea are nice scented soap with excellent lather qualities.
I agree, Razorock really does a great job. When they go on sale, the value is amazing. That's how I wound up with a bunch of their soaps. As far as performance, I love the Dead Sea and SMdF. Zi Peppino is my favorite tobacco scent and I find the fragrance of One X to be a very uplifting. Mudder F. is a very unique soap and has excellent lather and post shave. These are my favorites, but I have not tried a Razorock soap that I dislike.

So far I only have hard data on three of the soaps, but I figure my cost on what it would actually cost to use the soap every day for a year.

As I recall:
MdC - $45 a year (but I purchase two at a time, which lowers shipping cost).
SV - $135 a year.
WK - $75 a year.
What price are you paying for SV? I am surprised that a soft soap, like WK, can wind up being less expensive.

Unless you are on very tight budget, buy the soap which you like and gives you the most wonderful shave. It might be the most expensive,but may be the cheapest. Here in uk, a tub of mdc costs less than a cup of coffee in a chain of coffee shops. Or 3 packs of cigarettes.

Unless you are on very tight budget, buy the soap which you like and gives you the most wonderful shave. It might be the most expensive,but may be the cheapest. Here in uk, a tub of mdc costs less than a cup of coffee in a chain of coffee shops. Or 3 packs of cigarettes.
How much is a coffee now in star crooks?

Top Bottom