What's new

Soap Value vs Cost per Gram

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Unless you are on very tight budget, buy the soap which you like and gives you the most wonderful shave. It might be the most expensive,but may be the cheapest. Here in uk, a tub of mdc costs less than a cup of coffee in a chain of coffee shops. Or 3 packs of cigarettes.
MdC is 12 cents a day for me. I think that would be the equivalent of about 2 cups of coffee a month at Starbucks.

I am really sorry that I missed your thread, we have a had few of these and sometimes I think it is just a new poster digging up an old thread! My numbers are largely in line with yours, but haven't been updated for my newest brushes. I find Zingari Man and Barrister and Mann the most expensive artisan offerings based on cost per shave. I love me some hard soaps because I can load as heavy as I want without using much soap.

Edit: I am dumb, I thought those were cost per shave(but they kind of are).

If you brew coffee at home for 12¢ a day you're not drinking the good stuff. :cuppa:
I was curious about this and decided to calculate. The best coffee I have ever had is Edna's Mediterranean Coffee, which is basically Greek/ Turkish coffee. It sells for $13 per pound and 1 tsp of the very fine grind is sufficient for 1 expresso sized cup of coffee. If I estimate 1.5 tsp per serving, 1 lb would make approximately 75 servings. That's 17 cents per serving. If you drink 3 servings per day (most people would not be able to handle more), that would be about 50 cents per day.

One serving of the burnt Starbucks coffee that gives me stomach aches, is probably about $3.

The only really expensive coffee that I have made at home is cold brew. For that I buy organic beans from Costco which costs about $17 for about 2 pounds. The cold brew process uses a very large amount of coffee beans but is not that sensitive to the quality of the beans.

If you have suggestions for good coffee beans, please let me know.

Thanks for checcking that out.
To me, one tsp of fine grind per espresso cup would only yield a whispered hint of the dark liquid I consume. :cuppa:
The way that this type of coffee is prepared is different. You basically bring the coffee to a boil inside of a brass or copper cesve and let the grinds settle before pouring the coffee into a cup. In that sense it is unfiltered. It has more kick than just about any expresso. I do have an coffee/ expresso maker, but I don't really know how to use the expresso maker function.

You can usually feel an acceleration in your heartbeat after one or two shots, but the amazing thing is that it is not bitter. A Turkish guy told me that they mix the very fine grounds with chickpeas to help them settle. Perhaps, the nut oils balance out the bitterness of the coffee beans.

1686690056179.png

Last edited:
Hi @Feldgrun , curious as to where you wound up after digesting everyone's input on this thread? Did you make any new purchases as a result and if so did the new soaps work for you and was their value similar what you anticipated per the above comments?

Hi @Feldgrun , curious as to where you wound up after digesting everyone's input on this thread? Did you make any new purchases as a result and if so did the new soaps work for you and was their value similar what you anticipated per the above comments?
I bought a lot of samples, and a lot of soap, including more than what's below (Vitos, Proraso, Lea, more Stirling with samples, etc.). I found that like anything in life, everyone has their own taste and individual experiences. For this morning's shave I used Tabac (tallow) and loved it.

1713500794209.png

1713501233414.png

Last edited:
I bought a lot of samples, and a lot of soap, including more than what's below (Vitos, Proraso, Lea, more Stirling with samples, etc.). I found that like anything in life, everyone has their own taste and individual experiences. For this morning's shave I used Tabac (tallow) and loved it.

View attachment 1831841
View attachment 1831846
Thank you for posting. Really impressive assortment that covers the range from budget Arko/Williams to MdC and SV! I've tended to go narrower and deeper stocking some reserve pucks of my favorites.

Curious, I see that you have a number of soaps sold by Italian Barber including TFS Red Bowl and Razorock's latest version of P160. I found it interesting that their soft Italian soaps generally rely on a similar Stearic Acid/Coconut Oil base with various additional ingredients mostly focused on scent.

I've had the TFS Red Bowl for a while and have found that it works well so long as one scoops out plenty of product - couldn't load enough soap by just swirling the brush so I use it like a shaving cream instead. Its ingredients are a fairly basic:

TFS Red Bowl Ingredients: Stearic Acid, Aqua(Water), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Fragrance (Parfum), Potassium Carbonate

The Red Bowl formulation is part of the base used for most of the Razorock soft Italian soaps.

I threw in a Razorock P160 into a holiday order late last year to see if the added tallow and other ingredients make a material difference in soap performance even though these extra components are fairly well down the list as follows:

P160 Ingredients: Stearic Acid, Water(Eau), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Potassium, Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Tallow Acid, Hydrogenated Lanolin, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea)Butter,Fragrance(Parfum), Argania Spinosa (Argan)Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Extract(Aloe)

I've yet to try it as I'm working through some other soaps. Curious if you noticed any material difference in performance between the two? This gets me motivated to scoop out a dollop of my P160 to also find out for myself.

P.S. You are in for a treat when you get to your Cyril R. Salter shaving soap. One of my favorites.

Top Bottom