What's new

So Who Here Plays Guitar?

I have been really considering picking up an acoustic. Would love some suggestions/opinions.

Based on my budget and a few youtube videos, a yamaha FG830 or FS830 looks like a good option for a beginner.
But I am wondering if the Epiphone Hummingbird studio is a better option. Its 200$ more which takes it above what I had thought to spend. I will if some of you experienced folks think its worth the extra.
Yamaha is 470$ CDN
Epiphone is 650$ CDN

Thanks
Jay

FWIW, Jay, I have an FG830 and it's incredibly good for the price. I mean, it's staggeringly good.
Having said that, if I were starting over, I'd go with the FS model instead. The FG, being a dreadnaught, is pretty big and I like the sound from the smaller guitar just as well.
I can't speak to the Hummingbird but I know it's getting great reviews. I hope you pull the trigger on something. It can really add a lot to your life. :thumbsup:

FWIW, Jay, I have an FG830 and it's incredibly good for the price. I mean, it's staggeringly good.
Having said that, if I were starting over, I'd go with the FS model instead. The FG, being a dreadnaught, is pretty big and I like the sound from the smaller guitar just as well.
I can't speak to the Hummingbird but I know it's getting great reviews. I hope you pull the trigger on something. It can really add a lot to your life. :thumbsup:
Thanks man.

Collings makes outstanding guitars. I was supposed to visit someone in Austin a couple years ago and wanted to stop by there but it got canceled due to COVID.
Well, as I said, those are some terrific guitars and amps. Just beautiful! If I get motivated, I'll try to take some pics of my stuff. But your stuff compared to mine is like a Blackland compared to a Van Der Hagen. 🤣

I have a cousin that has a couple of Collings acoustics and they are wonderful for sure. They are pure CANNONS!!! Such volume and tone. So easy to play as well.

Again, thanks for the compliments on the instruments. And that's nonsense about your gear. I'd be lying if I said that I don't like to have nice guitars and amps. They are so much easier to play and to get nice tones out of, however look at what folks like Eddie Van Halen, Kurt Cobain, Jack White, etc. did with pawn shop and homemade guitars. Regardless if you are a fan of them or their music there is no denying that they created some of the greatest, most influential tones of music in history. It's definitely not all about the gear, but what you do with what you have. I would never ridicule or humiliate anyone that uses a certain piece of equipment. If it works for you, by all means, do it to it!!!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Sorry I’m late to the party. I play a lot. Professionally I prefer bass gigs. But I have been playing guitar a couple of years longer, and pick up some guitar gigs here and there. Been playing since around 12 years old. Mid fifties now. So a while. Never stopped. Never took a break when we had children. None of that stuff. I have done prog, metal, jazz, blues, every type of rock. Even played in a flamenco fusion band for a year.

After decades of playing in bands with the associated drama, I have taken a liking to being the fill-in guy. I have the ability to learn a lot of songs very quickly. So I can fill in with a band that need a player in a hurry, learn 20 or so songs in a week. It’s a blast. I get paid. And the appreciation is there for saving the gig and doing great with the parts. I especially enjoy playing in tribute bands. Lots of fun.

The guitar and musical equipment addictions are the reason I’m here. Yes, here at the B&B. Almost 10 years ago, my wife and I put a ten year plan in place to transition to a nomadic lifestyle. At the time, I had about 80 guitars, around 30 amps, and hundreds of pedals. All the pa and studio gear. It was ridiculous. That had to stop right then and there. And the massive downsizing has to begin for real. But as a type A+, and as serial collector, I need a passion to focus my attention. I need something to collect. I had been getting into wet shaving. And that became the focus. 80 vintage Gillette razors take up infinitely less room than 80 guitars. At least progress was made.

But yes, I am down to a more manageable amount of gear. Sold a lot. Gave away a lot. It’s hard, as guitars are very sentimental. Very emotional. Well, for me anyway. Two months away from going Nomad, and still have a bunch of downsizing work to do.

But I do play as often as possible. Fill in gigs. Jams. Open mic nights. It’s my thing.

Rock on!

Sorry I’m late to the party. I play a lot. Professionally I prefer bass gigs. But I have been playing guitar a couple of years longer, and pick up some guitar gigs here and there. Been playing since around 12 years old. Mid fifties now. So a while. Never stopped. Never took a break when we had children. None of that stuff. I have done prog, metal, jazz, blues, every type of rock. Even played in a flamenco fusion band for a year.

After decades of playing in bands with the associated drama, I have taken a liking to being the fill-in guy. I have the ability to learn a lot of songs very quickly. So I can fill in with a band that need a player in a hurry, learn 20 or so songs in a week. It’s a blast. I get paid. And the appreciation is there for saving the gig and doing great with the parts. I especially enjoy playing in tribute bands. Lots of fun.

The guitar and musical equipment addictions are the reason I’m here. Yes, here at the B&B. Almost 10 years ago, my wife and I put a ten year plan in place to transition to a nomadic lifestyle. At the time, I had about 80 guitars, around 30 amps, and hundreds of pedals. All the pa and studio gear. It was ridiculous. That had to stop right then and there. And the massive downsizing has to begin for real. But as a type A+, and as serial collector, I need a passion to focus my attention. I need something to collect. I had been getting into wet shaving. And that became the focus. 80 vintage Gillette razors take up infinitely less room than 80 guitars. At least progress was made.

But yes, I am down to a more manageable amount of gear. Sold a lot. Gave away a lot. It’s hard, as guitars are very sentimental. Very emotional. Well, for me anyway. Two months away from going Nomad, and still have a bunch of downsizing work to do.

But I do play as often as possible. Fill in gigs. Jams. Open mic nights. It’s my thing.

Rock on!

Awesome!!! I couldn't imagine having that much gear. Good on you brother. Rock on!!! :thumbup1:

Rock on!
I get the emotional connection. It would be very hard for me to dump any of my guitars but I can never rule it out in the future. I think fill in gigs and open mic nights sound really cool ... altlhough I'm not at the level yet where I could do that. Maybe someday.

I have a cousin that has a couple of Collings acoustics and they are wonderful for sure. They are pure CANNONS!!! Such volume and tone. So easy to play as well.

Again, thanks for the compliments on the instruments. And that's nonsense about your gear. I'd be lying if I said that I don't like to have nice guitars and amps. They are so much easier to play and to get nice tones out of, however look at what folks like Eddie Van Halen, Kurt Cobain, Jack White, etc. did with pawn shop and homemade guitars. Regardless if you are a fan of them or their music there is no denying that they created some of the greatest, most influential tones of music in history. It's definitely not all about the gear, but what you do with what you have. I would never ridicule or humiliate anyone that uses a certain piece of equipment. If it works for you, by all means, do it to it!!!
I confess for the relatively little I've spent, I'm really impressed with what I can get out of them. Of course, I don't have a frame of reference like a '59 Gibson Les Paul through a Marshall 100-watt amp. But my Boss Katana sounds fine to my ears and my various guitars sound pretty doggone good through them. I have a couple of pedals to enhance the finished product (my favorite is the TC Electronics MojoMojo overdrive pedal, a cheap Beringer Wah and a TC Looper.
As I mentioned earlier, I'll try to post some pics of my modest gear in a day or two ...

Let’s see some more pics!

I own a bunch of nice basses and guitars, but this is my main gigging bass and amp. That sound in my head… nailed.

5BC9903F-7F87-4C29-82D4-837476197DFB.png

Beautiful bass!
I remember when Valenti was still working for Sadowsky and just starting out building his own basses and posting on Talkbass frequently.

I have been a gigging bassist for over 45 years but hung up my performers spurs a few years ago. Now I only work on my own and friends' original music projects in their own studios.
I have a lot of basses, amps, effects and other music related gear, nothing vintage or particularly interesting. At some point I really need to start thinning the herd.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
In addition to playing actively, I also build effects pedals. I started out as a hobby builder for many years. Then I acquired a legacy pedal brand and it became a real thing. Booths at NAMM, artists, manufacturers, the whole deal. It’s still a side hustle, but at some point it will transition into my main hustle. It will be my semi-retirement gig I think. 😎

expandora vintage reissue - premium silver powder coated - box view.jpeg

In addition to playing actively, I also build effects pedals. I started out as a hobby builder for many years. Then I acquired a legacy pedal brand and it became a real thing. Booths at NAMM, artists, manufacturers, the whole deal. It’s still a side hustle, but at some point it will transition into my main hustle. It will be my semi-retirement gig I think. 😎

View attachment 1703034
See, that's why I love threads like this. Who knew?? I sure didn't.
Good onya. That's so cool!

Beautiful bass!
I remember when Valenti was still working for Sadowsky and just starting out building his own basses and posting on Talkbass frequently.

I have been a gigging bassist for over 45 years but hung up my performers spurs a few years ago. Now I only work on my own and friends' original music projects in their own studios.
I have a lot of basses, amps, effects and other music related gear, nothing vintage or particularly interesting. At some point I really need to start thinning the herd.
Thanks!

Talkbass was how I first heard of Valenti. Nino makes some great basses for sure. They are getting pricy now though.

I also have a custom Fodera, but it might have to go soon. Too much $$$ tied up in one bass and it just isn’t getting played enough.

Rock on!

It's funny, but at least half of the good guitarists I know have drifted toward bass over the years, even guys that don't gig.

I've been playing over 35 years, and I haven't caught the bass bug yet... then again, I don't consider myself good. Many of my friends and former bandmates went on to play for a living, and while I'm not embarrassed to play around them, I know the difference in their abilities and mine.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
It's funny, but at least half of the good guitarists I know have drifted toward bass over the years, even guys that don't gig.

I didnt "drift" over to bass. I made a deliberate decision back in the mid 80's that I wanted to be a bassist. With Geddy, Chris Squire, Steve Harris, Stanley Clarke, Jaco, and all the other amazing bassists running around at that time, it was clear to me where i wanted to be. However, I still play the guitar a lot. I typically play the bass professionally. And I play the guitar for fun. But the lines do cross all the time. Regardless, i play both Bass and Guitar.

@SharpieB I never get tired of looking at your bass collection!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
This is my current stage rig. USA Fender P-Bass. Carvin BX500 head. Avatar 2x12 with Delta-lite speakers. And of course a board full of my own pedals! :) I used to travel with stacks of speakers and heavy Ampeg heads, but my back thanks the improvements in bass amp technology every show!

2023-03-18 20.40.59.jpg

I have been playing since the early sixties. Several dreadnoughts, electrics, and twelve strings have come and gone. Two remain, a Martin D-18 modern deluxe and an 1885 1-21 that my great aunt bought new.
Wow.
Words fail me. Does it still play well or do you not attempt that with such a treasure?

I've been playing over 35 years, and I haven't caught the bass bug yet... then again, I don't consider myself good. Many of my friends and former bandmates went on to play for a living, and while I'm not embarrassed to play around them, I know the difference in their abilities and mine.
I can relate. 😁

I didnt "drift" over to bass. I made a deliberate decision back in the mid 80's that I wanted to be a bassist. With Geddy, Chris Squire, Steve Harris, Stanley Clarke, Jaco, and all the other amazing bassists running around at that time, it was clear to me where i wanted to be. However, I still play the guitar a lot. I typically play the bass professionally. And I play the guitar for fun. But the lines do cross all the time. Regardless, i play both Bass and Guitar.

@SharpieB I never get tired of looking at your bass collection!
You're right about that era of bass players: it was stunning.
I loved Pastorius' work on Joni Mitchell's albums. I still listen to Hejira and Don Juan's Reckless Daughter frequently and his work still blows me away. I also loved his stuff on Weather Report.
And, of course, Geddy Lee and Squire with Yes also set a high bar. Harris I'm not terribly familiar with and Stanley Clarke's material was not in my particular sphere but I know he's at the top of the field.

Top Bottom