What's new

So I'm the next new guy

Thank you all for the welcoming.

great job... don't fall into the trap of too confident, that is when i got my first nick (gouge) and I wasn't even really shaving, i was just moving (slight swing motion, since i was so confident) the razor from cheek to chin (or other cheek, i can't remember) and bam, bloody nick right on my chin. I didn't even know how to explain it to myself.... nor my family... i went from proud to embarrassed in less than a second...oh and by the way after some really great progress over a couple of months, my lather started to suffer and it was a tumultuous affair of whether it was me, razor, brush, cream, soap, lather, skin condition...

my point in all of this is, you are off to a great start, keep your head up even if the shave quality falls off a bit... it'll come right back with some focus...

I'll try my best to keep a cool head.

I just reread your post, and perhaps I'm misreading it, but the way you describe your angle makes me think you might be going 30 degrees too far. You want 30 degrees between face and blade, not between face and razor handle. The pictures in this thread helped me out a lot:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=130110

I looked at the link and that's not how I did it. I kept the razor handle perpendicular to my face, so the razor inside the head of the shaver was parrallel with my skin. I then rolled it down to 45 degrees, so that the business end of the razor was not touching my skin but closer to it. I then slowly, and I mean slowly began my stroke while slowly closing the angle of the handle closer to my skin to acheive aproximately 30 degrees. That way I was already in a stroke so the blade wouldn't catch skin from a dead stop and skin my face. Also I didn't concern myself with the angle so much as the feel of the shave. I did that the entire first shave. By the third pass I was more comfortable with bringing the razor up to my skin at around 45 then closing slowly till the blade touched and shaved.

Just an update in case people are still reading this thread, as well as a question.

The update: Third shave, silky smooth, no burns, no rash, but I did manage to nick myself. It stopped bleeding before I noticed it and washing my face with cold water after the shave didn't cuase it to bleed again, which I thought it might. It left no mark or scab or even a shinny spot of skin so it was very small I suppose.

My question is this. I am lathering my entire face and then shaving. By the time I get half my face done, the lather on the other half is translucent/clear/not foamy at all. It's more like a clear cream on my face. Is that normal or is my lather not thick enough? I'm getting the valleys and peaks that I'm striving for. I can touch the side of my bowl with my brush and the lather left on the bowl defies gravity. The "peaks" stick out a good half inch and don't fall toward the bottom of the bowl which I thought was a proper lather.

. By the time I get half my face done, the lather on the other half is translucent/clear/not foamy at all. It's more like a clear cream on my face. Is that normal or is my lather not thick enough?
no, that's not typical of a good lather IMO, it may be a case of not enough product and it's sufficient hydration. i have heard people say the consistency of yogurt, but that doesn't make sense to me as there different consistencies of yogurt and i don't think i would enjoy any of them slathered on my face...

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Just an update in case people are still reading this thread, as well as a question.

The update: Third shave, silky smooth, no burns, no rash, but I did manage to nick myself. It stopped bleeding before I noticed it and washing my face with cold water after the shave didn't cuase it to bleed again, which I thought it might. It left no mark or scab or even a shinny spot of skin so it was very small I suppose.

My question is this. I am lathering my entire face and then shaving. By the time I get half my face done, the lather on the other half is translucent/clear/not foamy at all. It's more like a clear cream on my face. Is that normal or is my lather not thick enough? I'm getting the valleys and peaks that I'm striving for. I can touch the side of my bowl with my brush and the lather left on the bowl defies gravity. The "peaks" stick out a good half inch and don't fall toward the bottom of the bowl which I thought was a proper lather.

Yes still reading... For your lather, you would need to charge your brush more or use more shaving cream.

no, that's not typical of a good lather IMO, it may be a case of not enough product and it's sufficient hydration. i have heard people say the consistency of yogurt, but that doesn't make sense to me as there different consistencies of yogurt and i don't think i would enjoy any of them slathered on my face...

Think Greek Yogurt...

I'll thicken it up tomorrow morning. I'm going to try squeezing some more water out of the brush. I'm suprised at how much water is really in the brush after the heating soak.

Welcome to B&B. You are now part of a great group of folks that are eager to help you get the most out of your shaves. Make sure you read the tutorials to pick up some great tips.

Enjoy your shaves,

Doug

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
nice post, sure beats my intro to DE which was "order cheap knock-off from eBay and shower after shaving to wash away the blood" :blush:

i just reread your first post. it was good for a chuckle since i could so relate to wanting a closer shave and being able to save money in so doing. i actually was able to return my money spent on my starter kit after a few months. then i got really brave and started to explore the never ending supply of great scents recommended by some of the folks on this site. i've found it's not really about saving money any longer but about the "art of shaving"............enjoy your creation

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Welcome and best of luck on your shaving adventure. I've now got a new line to use with my wife "take off your shirt I want to snuggle". Being a gentleman I'd hate to ruin clothing accidentally

Mike.

Top Bottom