What's new

So I'm going to put on my helmet and armor and ask a ?

I'm going to admit a couple things: I don't drink much coffee, and when I do, it's instant.

I know, I get crap from anyone I know who knows that about me, but I'm kinda cheap and I like it. I drink Nescafe Clasico and Medaglia D'oro when I want espresso. Nothing fancy, a cream and a sugar and I'm usually happy. I've never been to a Starbucks, I don't drink more than a small cup (6oz) and I have no idea how people walk around with what seems like a 1/2 gallon of coffee.

I like my coffee kinda like I enjoy my beer/ladies: dark and tasty (ie: Guinness there is almost no other).

So: why should I improve my life when it comes to this? I really can't/don't want to spend $100+ on a coffee "system" for my one (maybe two with dinner) small cup a day. But....I think I could get into something if it's really good and not overdoing it.

What I mean is: Is it possible to do gourmet on a budget?

How about a French Press?

$image.jpg
I use one of these as I dont have a fancy coffee machine either. Not sure what the actual name is for one but I know it as the 'poor mans espresso maker' and it does the job perfectly. It makes real nice strong coffee and the stove and they are pretty cheap. I got mine from TK Max but not sure if you guys can get them in TJ Max.

Drink whatever you want and tell others to step off. It's your life.

Great advice! But, if you've never tried coffee any other way, maybe you just don't know what you're missing. Maybe give a Melita pour-over with some freshly ground beans a try. That's probably a small investment, as the Melita is only a few bucks (I think) and you can buy a small amount of some beans and have them ground at the store. Or just stick with what you like!

I'm going to admit a couple things: I don't drink much coffee, and when I do, it's instant.

I know, I get crap from anyone I know who knows that about me, but I'm kinda cheap and I like it. I drink Nescafe Clasico and Medaglia D'oro when I want espresso. Nothing fancy, a cream and a sugar and I'm usually happy. I've never been to a Starbucks, I don't drink more than a small cup (6oz) and I have no idea how people walk around with what seems like a 1/2 gallon of coffee.

I like my coffee kinda like I enjoy my beer/ladies: dark and tasty (ie: Guinness there is almost no other).

So: why should I improve my life when it comes to this? I really can't/don't want to spend $100+ on a coffee "system" for my one (maybe two with dinner) small cup a day. But....I think I could get into something if it's really good and not overdoing it.

There are two questions here. One is practical and the other is philosophical. Let's take the philosophy first as it's much more fun to answer.

"why should I improve my life when it comes to this"?

No reason that you "should" as most of the world moves on quite happily without knowing anything about fresh ground coffee, burr grinders, pour times, extraction, single origin coffees and blah, blah, blah. There's no "should" here. One "should" have a sound credo for how to treat others and it's immensely helpful to have a worldview that synthesizes the tsunami of information the world throws at you, but there's nothing about existence that requires one to have a meaningful relationship with dried coffee shrub cherry pits. You can choose to go down this bunny hole, but there's no reason you "should".

That said, the fact that you asked means you're at least curious. Possibly, and this is a worst case scenario, there's an inner barista struggling inside you trying to get out, get his eyebrow pierced, neck tattooed and a decent cup of espresso while reading "No Exit" for four hours at a local indie cafe. Fingers x'ed it's the former. If so, no reason you shouldn't try upping your coffee game just as by your presence here you're upping your shaving game. It's really a small cost after an initial expense and the increase in quality is dramatic. Really, really dramatic. I started roasting my own beans last summer and have shared at least 15 or 20lbs with friends and family. Some of them say thanks and just go drinking what they normally drink, but at least a third find it something of a revelation that coffee can taste so good.

As for the practical question, you can easily improve the quality of coffee you brew at home with the following items:

1. Fresh roasted beans. Without fresh beans, you're drinking stale coffee. That means beans no older than 2 weeks past their roast date. If you do nothing else, this will change everything. In fact, you can stop here with this single step and move on merrily with your life drinking monumentally better coffee for about an extra 8 bucks/week. You don't need to enter the discussion about flat burrs vs conicals, bimodal distribution of grind sizes, proper treatment of Reverse Osmosis water, wet processed vs dry processed coffee cherries and whether Starbucks is the devil's coffee shop or the tip of the spear for eventual coffee nirvana.

2. Decent grinder. This is more important than an expensive brewing product. Uniform grind size is essential to extraction. I know someone with a 2500 dollar grinder, but, just like I did, you can get started with a 35 dollar Hario Skerton hand grinder that does an excellent job for drip and pour over coffees. It also strengthens your upper body and provides an excellent early morning cardio. The Hario uses ceramic burrs and you'll want a burr grinder over a blade grinder. Again, you can stop here. A good grinder will noticeably improve the quality of any coffee you're drinking. From this point on, improvements in quality are more subjective. Past this point, you're dancing at the edge of the rabbit hole.

3. A variety of very good and affordable coffee brewing products are also out there. The Aeropress nearly guarantees a good cup of coffee as long as the beans are fresh. It's 25 dollars from Amazon. The Clever coffee dripper is in the same league and about the same price. You could toss a Bodum French Press into the mix as an excellent brewing choice, but it's less forgiving about poor grinds. Still far, far better than any instant coffee made anywhere at any point in history and there's something about that last sip of FP coffee with the silt in it that makes one feel manly. I may be imagining it, but I believe I've sprouted one new chest hair for every .5oz of FP sediment I've consumed.

So there you have it. Both questions answered. Good luck to you.

Last edited:
If you are a milk and sugar coffee drinker then anything should taste fine as milk and sugar will make even the worst coffee ever brewed taste acceptable.

I used to be this way. I thought coffee needed to be strong and bitter as I did not know what coffee really tasted like as I hid it behind milk, sugar, flavorings, even flavored booze in it to hide the taste.

It is like getting a steak and smothering it with some form of ketchup based sauce. That does a great job of hiding the taste of meat to the point that a vegetarian can eat it and not notice that there is meat there.

You will find very few who are into good single malt who use it as a just the booze content in a mixed drink. Scotch and air in a glass is my drink of choice just like a straight double shot of espresso in a cup is my coffee of choice.

There will always be those who appreciate taste for what it is and there will be those who have never tasted through the add ons applied to their food/drink to know what they are eating or drinking.

If you are satisfied with your sweet milky breakfast drink, stick with it and don't apologize. Maybe try Ovaltine with milk and sugar next time and see if it taste about the same (it does to me).

Last edited:
So: why should I improve my life when it comes to this?
We can't tell you that. You have to determine that by trying the options. If you're happy with what you're drinking that's all that matters regardless of whatever it is. Maybe it's not worth putting any more money or effort into it for you. Maybe you will find a solution that meets your definition of "good" without being your definition of "expensive". The first step is to look at the options and find out how you can try what they produce.

I've never been to a Starbucks
A lot of people love Starbucks and they've introduced many to specialty coffee but Starbucks really isn't the standard for quality coffee. IMO they're really more like McDonald's of specialty coffee. Again, it all comes down to what the individual prefers. Many people love McDonald's as well.

Absolutely but are you really looking for "gourmet" and what does that really mean anyway? If you want quality coffee you just need fresh beans properly ground and properly brewed. Brewing can be done with all sorts of inexpensive options. It's the grinder that will require some outlay but if you're doing a pourover, French press or other such methods you don't need to invest anywhere near as much as you would with espresso.

It's a possibility but you should probably see if you like what a French press produces. Are there no coffee shops in your area that offer coffee made with FP, pour overs, etc?

If you are a milk and sugar coffee drinker then anything should taste fine as milk and sugar will make even the worst coffee ever brewed taste acceptable.
I am and I don't find that to be true. Taste and preference will vary among any within a group. Awful coffee with milk and sugar is still awful coffee to me.

Last edited:

I am and I don't find that to be true. Taste and preference will vary among any within a group. Awful coffee with milk and sugar is still awful coffee to me.

Ah... You obviously did not eat as many mud pies made by your sister as I did as a child

I'm gonna go a different direction here. If you aren't sure you'd like brewed coffee, go to a local coffee shop and try a cup! I personally HATE Starbucks, and would suggest a mom and pop shop. Try a decent cup of brewed...non-flavored.

If that's not an option, and if fresh-roasted is out of your reach, get a small can of Folger's or other name brand. Get a French press and a tea pot...or check out a stove/fire top perculator pot from the camp section. Both are relatively cheap compared to even a drip pot.

Wow, thanks for the info guys. I'll definitely consider going the Aeropress route. I just want something that's not too expensive, and I don't need anything that makes more than a single cup. I really refuse to go the Kerug (sp?) route, so maybe the Aero is a good place to begin.

hit the grocery store and pick up a #4 Melita for around $14 +/- including filters.

I have a Melita and a ceramic BeeHouse that uses the #4 Melita filters.

I brew into a thermal carafe and make 4 cups at a shot which lasts us a few minutes in the morning

proxy.php

Nescafe can be quite good, especially from a fresh jar and if it is all one is drinking... it seems my taste buds become more in tune with it after drinking a few consecutive cups/days.

Going "gourmet" implies getting freshly roasted beans. I also think it is a good idea to visit your local coffee shop (even if that is Starbucks) to try all their varieties of drip coffee; from their light to dark roasts...and different single origins and blends, so that you get a better understanding of what you like best before buying a bag. Since at your current consumption level, a small bag would likely last two weeks.

There are two questions here. One is practical and the other is philosophical. Let's take the philosophy first as it's much more fun to answer.

Thanks Mark. Lots of stuff to consider and I appreciate your thoughtful answer.

So.....question about grinders. I looked at the Hario Skerton on amazon. I saw basically two types: one is kinda small, but looks perfect for a single cup, and the other seems to be one that stores the grind in a jar for later usages. Any real difference? Is it ok to grind 3-4 days worth or should I do it fresh each time?

So.....question about grinders. I looked at the Hario Skerton on amazon. I saw basically two types: one is kinda small, but looks perfect for a single cup, and the other seems to be one that stores the grind in a jar for later usages. Any real difference? Is it ok to grind 3-4 days worth or should I do it fresh each time?

Bahnzo,
Both grinders, I'm fairly sure, use the same set of burrs so the output should be the same or very close to the same. The slim is better suited for travel and simply takes up less space. There may be an ergonomic difference in how easy one is to hold over the other one when grinding, but I've only owned the bigger, pot bellied one. I've given my Hario to a friend, but in retrospect, if I'd bought the slim, then I probably would have kept it for travel purposes.

You do not want to store the grinds. The point of buying whole fresh roasted beans is that you can grind them right before brewing. There's a widely believed "rule of 15" about coffee. Depending a great deal on storage, coffee greens will last about 15 months. Fresh roasted coffee beans last about 15 days before becoming stale and coffee grounds last about 15 minutes before they're no longer good.

I've never tested the 15 minute assertion against 20 or 25 minutes, but I have personally tested 15 minutes vs 24 hours and the difference was obvious. On the Skerton, it took approximately 2 to 2:30 to grind enough coffee for two 12 oz mugs of coffee from a chemex. You'll want a grind setting much finer than that for an aeropress, but you're only making a single cup, so it's probably about the same length of grinding time.

Make sure to post pics of whatever you end up with.

Top Bottom