What's new

So I'm going to put on my helmet and armor and ask a ?

I do not own either Hario, but I believe you will find that the main difference is the hand grip, whether the bigger jar will be easier to hold (or not) when grinding hard beans.

I also think the burrs are the same, but there must be some mechanical difference in how the burrs are mounted as at one point Orphan Espresso sold a lower bearing mod kit (and I believe there is also a similar DYI idea posted somewhere) to better stabilize the burr gap when grinding for French Press. So if you drank FP that model may have a bigger appeal, otherwise the small model has advantage easy storage in a drawer and portability.

If I was starting out again, I would get a Melitta pour over, a box of #2 filters and a Krups blade "grinder". Go to my local roaster and buy some 1/4 lb batches of whatever they just roasted to learn what kind of coffee I like.

That is as easy and as cheap as you can get to make an easy breezy quality cup of coffee. I would avoid the manual grinders at the point of just starting out. They aren't cheap but they are annoying.

My progression was slightly different. I started out buying good cups of fresh made coffee from a place called Santa Cruz Coffee Roasting (pre Loma Prieta). They made the coffee using a pour over. So I got a Melitta and had SC grind the beans. Then I bought a Krups blade grinder and bought whole roasted beans from them. Then I bought a pot and roasted my own beans. Many years later I bought a hand grinder.

My point being, if your moving from instant to making a cup of real joe - start easy. Easy cash, easy making.

-jim

So.....question about grinders. I looked at the Hario Skerton on amazon. I saw basically two types: one is kinda small, but looks perfect for a single cup, and the other seems to be one that stores the grind in a jar for later usages. Any real difference? Is it ok to grind 3-4 days worth or should I do it fresh each time?

There is a difference in the operation of the 2 sizes.

The smaller one was designed as an espresso grinder of either 7 or 14 grams of coffee (they jar is marked 1 or 2 cups).

The larger one was designed as a pour over grinder where you would be grinding 30 + grams at a time.

Regardless of which one you decide on (and either will be fine to grind "just coffee") grind just before you brew and only grind what you will brew (no excess). Ground coffee goes "off" after about 15 minutes of being ground so start your water boiling then grind then brew.

When I travel and can't be near an electric grinder I take the larger grinder with me along with fresh beans. I have a salsa cup that holds 32 grams of beans (give or take a bean or two) that I fill to get close to the amount of coffee I need for my 4 cup Chemex (which I also take). If you don't have a scale or don't want to invest in one, find a cup that will hold approx the weight of beans you want to brew and use that as your pseudo scale to get started

proxy.php

yep. It is what I used every day before I got my Rocky and that is the one that my wife still uses every day for her decaf. One we had for years finally broke (plastic cracked) and I bought her exactly that one in the link a few weeks ago. Same as the old one as near as I can tell. If you go to estate sales, you can often find them for a few bucks. Which I did after I had bought her the new one. doh!

-jim

I agree with the Melitta suggestion. I've never understood the popularity of the Aeropress which I have brewed with several times. If you're only doing one cup a day and don't mind a minute of easy labor grinding the hand grinder is your best bet. I have a Porlex and it grinds as well as my Solis Maestro.

I kinda like the idea of the Aeropress, because it seems to allow me to let the water steep for a little (or a lot). Nothing against the Melitta, and it's pretty cheap to boot....kinda like razor/soaps/brushes, will prolly have both at some point.

If you're not a connoisseur, this thread might be overkill! I buy a bag of good quality beans at Costco, grind a week's worth at a time in my blender, and eyeball it all in a French Press every morning.

Gives a perfectly fine cup of coffee each time, and while it may not stand up to everyone here's standards it's a darn sight better than most restaurants will serve you.

I like Good McDonald's Coffee. I use Community with a 1970's stove top pour through that belonged to my folks. I use it on the weekends only cause my time is too valuable to spend it making coffee. I know most here take coffee more seriously but I stay a football field away from the rabbit hole on this area of my life.

On whim I jumped into a Bed Bath Beyond. I was looking for a Mellita pour over (surprisingly, no one carries these it seems), but instead I found an Aeropress. And it was same price as Amazon so I couldn't resist buying it.

I bought a Hamilton Beech electric grinder the other day, so I just needed some coffee. I'm not going to worry myself too much with overly expensive coffee until I learn to grind and what type I might like, so I just bought some 8 o'clock Columbian.

Tomorrow will be my first cup of real brewed coffee for quite some time. Have to jump on google and see what methods people use for the Aeropress, seems like there are numerous ways.

On whim I jumped into a Bed Bath Beyond. I was looking for a Mellita pour over (surprisingly, no one carries these it seems), but instead I found an Aeropress. And it was same price as Amazon so I couldn't resist buying it.

I bought a Hamilton Beech electric grinder the other day, so I just needed some coffee. I'm not going to worry myself too much with overly expensive coffee until I learn to grind and what type I might like, so I just bought some 8 o'clock Columbian.

Tomorrow will be my first cup of real brewed coffee for quite some time. Have to jump on google and see what methods people use for the Aeropress, seems like there are numerous ways.

Google aeropress championship and you will find a bunch of creative recipes for the aeropress. Also, PM me your address and I'll send you a few ozs of fresh roasted beans that I'll be roasting tomorrow. By the time they get to you, they'll be ready to brew and you can see what the difference is like over store bought.

Is it possible to do coffee on a budget???

I'm a coffee fanatic. I use a French Press, and Santo Domingo beans...$6 for a full lb. I'll put my brew up against almost anything out there. Fresh ground beans, water just a bit below boiling, just time the brew...4 minutes 20 seconds...

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Google aeropress championship and you will find a bunch of creative recipes for the aeropress. Also, PM me your address and I'll send you a few ozs of fresh roasted beans that I'll be roasting tomorrow. By the time they get to you, they'll be ready to brew and you can see what the difference is like over store bought.

Good show, Mark.

Well thanks, I guess I'd be a fool to turn down an offer like that.

I actually ran across that aeropress championship site the other day, and plenty other's with ideas about this and that.

I no longer have a scale, I used to have one for baking bread, but it went **** up a few months back so I've kinda just been winging it. Any ideas on eyeing the amount of beans needed...ie: 1Tbsp = x grams?

Also, I'm assuming it's ok to store beans in a glass airtight jar?

The scoop that comes with the Aeropress is about right for a mug of coffee. My memory is very weak on this point but i believe it holds roughly 18 grams of whole beans.

Yes, you should store your beans in an airtight container to keep them fresher longer.

Glad you jumped on board with the aeropress! Let us all know how it works out, especially if you're having any trouble with it. It may take you a few brews to figure out what size to grind the beans. I've had some grinds come out too large and got a weak cup, and some too fine which made it nearly impossible to press through. Once I got it dialed in I was able to get some good consistency going.

Been a coffee addict for 5 decades--for the last couple of years I've been drinking original roast Maxwell House. It's a fine coffee, and affordable. My quota is 32 oz per day, and I can drink that without it causing any digestive issues, thanks to the smoothness of the coffee. As for coffee makers, when my last electric one died a couple of years ago I vowed never to replace it. I use a $1.49 Melitta #2 cone filter brewer on weekdays, and on weekends I pull out my trusty Aeropress ($25-30 at most fine coffee establishments or online). The Aeropress makes very smooth coffee. If you are making a single cup, just be sure to put only a couple of ounces of hot water in the brewer. This further reduces the amount of acid in the cup.

Having my first cup now. Was easy to fix up, made only a small mess. I used two scoops of beans into the grinder, which now seems like it was too much. Ground for 10secs, it still had a few large pieces here and there, so gave it a few quick pulses and that seemed to do the trick. I did some reading and saw that many people recommended a grind like "coarse table salt" so that came out pretty well.

Let the kettle heat until it whistled, and stuck in a meat thermometer, it only registered a tick under 200F so not sure if that's accurate, but I let it sit for a min until it got down to 190. I used the Aero upside down to let the coffee stew. Put in two scoops of the ladle that came with the Aero and just enough water to cover them. Gave a couple stirs and waited ~30secs and then poured more water to fill to the 3rd mark (upside down, so #2). A couple easy stirs and waited 30secs again before I put the cap on and flipped it upside down to plunge it.

I bit of a mess here, because it seemed flipping it caused the Aero to "burp". It wasn't massive, but a little splatter that didn't seem should happen. I'm guessing I need to put a bit of pressure on the unit to keep it together?

But plunged easily enough into a glass, about 30 secs. Poured that into my usual cup and added hot water. I was surprised at how little coffee it actually made; I was sure I had a full 6oz or so, but if it was half that I'd be surprised.

So hows it taste? I made sure to take a few sips before my usual cream/sugar and it's very smooth. It's maybe a bit strong (due to using too many beans?) and I think it's maybe a tad "mellow" (I bought a medium roast) but overall it's pretty good. With the one cream/sugar it's very good and I think it's maybe too much, maybe 1/2 of each would be better.

Overall, it's a keeper. I'll have to try a few different beans in the coming weeks/months to see what I like. But in the end it's much tastier than what I've been drinking and not too much extra trouble.

I had two cups today....I had to!

This morning, the damn thing "burped" on me again and this time sent me scurrying for a new shirt. Not a bad cup, but had me thinking all day. So tonight I had another....

Using the inverted method, after I added the water I capped it and still upside down, I started the press. It's very easy to plunge it until it's ready to press out, and then flip it and press it into the cup. This keeps it from burping (and ruining my shirt). I also used a lower temp water (180F). The result was a very nice cup that I felt was much smoother than anything I've had the previous few times.

Can't wait to try some different beans. Question: do local coffee shops generally sell roasted beans? I've never been a coffee shop guy, so I have no idea.

Top Bottom