What's new

So I have this old belt lying around… Which paste?

As you may have guessed it, I’m looking to start straight shaving on the cheap. My plan is to get a decent shave-ready razor and TM’s starter strop. For the first couple of months, I’ll use the straight only 2 times a week, maybe 3 tops – I don’t want to cut myself just before leaving for work. As I’m experimenting, I just don’t want to compromise myself with an expensive honing setup, especially that I’m buying a condo and blah blah blah…

But sooner or later the edge will need some refreshing due to my coarse beard. I’ve thought about pasting the rough side of an old leather belt I no longer use for its original purpose. Does that sound even semi-realistic for a newbie? And what about particle size? I’ve been thinking about Thiers-Issard’s sharpening paste because it is inexpensive and (apparently) easy to use.

Any suggestions?

I think you'll need a smoother surface. The backside of the belt is generally like suede. You need something smoother.

A good paste would be the CromOxide .05 micron, which is the usually a green paste.

You can also get a cheep strop off of ebay for ten bucks. Those work great because IMO there's no need to buy a quality strop if your gonna rub grit all over in anyway. I'd recomend .5 micron diamond paste, but the chromum oxide works great too.

I think you'll need a smoother surface. The backside of the belt is generally like suede. You need something smoother.

Actually, a 12-inch section in the middle has smoothed out with time, and that convinced me this belt had some potential.

You can also get a cheep strop off of ebay for ten bucks. Those work great because IMO there's no need to buy a quality strop if your gonna rub grit all over in anyway. I'd recomend .5 micron diamond paste, but the chromum oxide works great too.

You mean like this?http://cgi.ebay.com/Zeepk-Leather-Canvas-RAZOR-Strop-Strap-Barber-shop_W0QQitemZ120243437783QQihZ002QQcategoryZ35990QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Can you, for instance, put a coarser paste on the canvas part? Now that would be cost-effective.

It will be fine. I have many strops, including a 10.00 dollar Kmart belt I have used and loved for 10 years. However, you have to prep it first. When camping I have stropped on a leather boot. If you want a true piece of work go to Tony!

I piece of leather does not cost much eiterh, I was at an local knivesmith/leatherguy (well, I'm not sure what to call them:) ), and they gave me an nice strip of leather, very good for pasting and such.
I have some paddles etc in order from Tony, and they are going to be the proper ones, but for experimenting, the leatherstrip is just fine. does not look so nice ofcourse :)

Top Bottom