What's new

Smokin' in your vehicle

Here's a pic. of my old, neglected 1972 Yamaha 250 DS7 that needs some carb. work...among a few other things.

View attachment 772487

Glad I found a few places that carry OEM parts.

1972 Yamaha DS7 OEM Parts, Babbitts Yamaha Partshouse

I saw that thread in the Great Outdoors...too bad it didn't get much traction. Maybe a motorscooter section would do good...maybe.

I was at the local Suzuki shop today to raid some of the little screw "inserts" that go into the battery terminals for the motorcycles/lawnmower batteries that fall out and get lost real easy when you take the battery out. They said they are going to order some 2017 models in a bit. I'm really interested in the DR-Z400S.

Oh...and you're not a REAL motorcycle rider until you've earned one of these. Member of...

proxy.php

DR-Z400 is a nice bike, ridden a few. I would say though that the CRF 250L is a better bargain with roughly the same power. Just a thought.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
DR-Z400 is a nice bike, ridden a few. I would say though that the CRF 250L is a better bargain with roughly the same power. Just a thought.

Yeah, the Honda CRF 250 looks nice, but the DR-Z400 has the bigger motor, a higher compression ratio, and would probably be better for a ride in to town 20 miles away and the 50 mile ride to a recreation area. And the Honda 250 weights about the same as the Suzuki 400 for the pasture playing on my place where nimble is good.

I've also thought about the two stroke Yamaha YZ250 for just a pasture track toy, but then I can't ride it in to town since it's not street legal. I like two stroke dirt bikes, but haven't ridden one of the newer four stroke dirt players. Thumpers weren't my thing unless they were bigger street bikes.

Your thoughts on my thoughts?

Yeah, the Honda CRF 250 looks nice, but the DR-Z400 has the bigger motor, a higher compression ratio, and would probably be better for a ride in to town 20 miles away and the 50 mile ride to a recreation area. And the Honda 250 weights about the same as the Suzuki 400 for the pasture playing on my place where nimble is good.

I've also thought about the two stroke Yamaha YZ250 for just a pasture track toy, but then I can't ride it in to town since it's not street legal. I like two stroke dirt bikes, but haven't ridden one of the newer four stroke dirt players. Thumpers weren't my thing unless they were bigger street bikes.

Your thoughts on my thoughts?

I thought for some reason they were in the 30HP range on the Honda, but I hadn't googled it. I know the WR250 is, but it costs more than both bikes you mentioned, and if you're going to spend that you're better off buying a KTM.

Just keep in mind with the DRZ as a play bike, they are heavy. On paper 340Lbs doesn't sound like much, but that's a fat bike to wrestle off road, and after dropping it a few times, which is inevitable, you will be tired. Depending on which state you live in, 2 Strokes can be plated for the street. There are a number of factory legal 2 strokes available too, though not at a reasonable price.

Depending on your budget, keep an eye on the used stuff too. The European stuff is not as maintenance intensive as the internet troll's would have you believe.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I thought for some reason they were in the 30HP range on the Honda, but I hadn't googled it. I know the WR250 is, but it costs more than both bikes you mentioned, and if you're going to spend that you're better off buying a KTM.

Just keep in mind with the DRZ as a play bike, they are heavy. On paper 340Lbs doesn't sound like much, but that's a fat bike to wrestle off road, and after dropping it a few times, which is inevitable, you will be tired. Depending on which state you live in, 2 Strokes can be plated for the street. There are a number of factory legal 2 strokes available too, though not at a reasonable price.

Depending on your budget, keep an eye on the used stuff too. The European stuff is not as maintenance intensive as the internet troll's would have you believe.

From what I've seen the CRF250L pulls about 25 hp and the DRZ400S pulls about 35 hp. in stock form. From what I've heard from people that own the 400S they have real good low end torque. I believe the stock sprocket gearing on them is about 14/48 or something like that.

Yeah, a bit over 300 pounds is heavier than 230 lbs. for a little MX bike, but the spec. sheets show the CRF250L at 317.5 lbs. and the DRZ400S at 317.0 lbs. Besides, the curb weight on my DS7 250 shows spot on 320 lbs. and believe me, I picked that thing up many a time with no problem.

I looked at KTM and it looks like what I want is between $8,000 and $12,000. And the closest dealer is 100 miles away...that would be quite a trip to take it in for any warranty service. I don't know why the Yamaha two stroke is so high when two strokes are easier to manufacture and work on than a four stroke.

From what I've seen the CRF250L pulls about 25 hp and the DRZ400S pulls about 35 hp. in stock form. From what I've heard from people that own the 400S they have real good low end torque. I believe the stock sprocket gearing on them is about 14/48 or something like that.

Yeah, a bit over 300 pounds is heavier than 230 lbs. for a little MX bike, but the spec. sheets show the CRF250L at 317.5 lbs. and the DRZ400S at 317.0 lbs. Besides, the curb weight on my DS7 250 shows spot on 320 lbs. and believe me, I picked that thing up many a time with no problem.

I looked at KTM and it looks like what I want is between $8,000 and $12,000. And the closest dealer is 100 miles away...that would be quite a trip to take it in for any warranty service. I don't know why the Yamaha two stroke is so high when two strokes are easier to manufacture and work on than a four stroke.

Keep in mind those numbers are at the crank, not the wheel, and those weights are dry. Any dual sport bike that is manufactured as such will always weigh 300plus pounds. Anything lighter and they are twitchy on the road.

As with any bike though, I would recommend you work on it yourself vice taking it to the stealership. All of these bikes are easy to work on, and there is nothing you can't learn from youtube. My KTM hasn't seen a dealer in 10 years and that was only because I wanted stuff done while I was in Afghanistan so I could ride when I got back.

I would personally buy used in that market (DR-Z) as that bike hasn't changed since it came out.

Top Bottom