What's new

Smart Shavers

No, not the users. :001_smile Had the opportunity to trial one of Philips Norelco's newest (relatively) 7000 Series “smart" rotary shavers, the s7940. The shaver is Bluetooth-enabled, with an accompanying app, Philips' GroomTribe, which appears to be in its fourth iteration since January 2020. Why would I need a Bluetooth shaver, you might ask? An excellent question. Everything seems to be Bluetooth capable these days, from thermostats to cars. Because, well, we can. Some are useful, some not so much. In the case of a shaver, it does have potential. Just like any learned skillset, shaving benefits from experienced instruction. You may have learned on your own, or on Grandpa’s knee, but it probably took awhile, and you are probably still learning.

Enter a shaving app. It connects with your shaver, and tracks both your shaving time and technique (I would guess some sort of accelerometer in the body of the shaver), and gives you an analysis of both. In the case of the Philips, the settings of the shaver are also controlled by the app, so over time, it adjusts the speed of the shaver to fit your style, and unlike any other rotary Philips of which I’m aware, the blades are also capable of adjusting for beard density. In the app, you can provide feedback on your most recent shave (irritation, ingrown hairs, etc.) and the app will adjust the shaver accordingly and provide ongoing recommendations and adjustments.

An outstanding idea and plan. However, no plan, as they say, survives contact with the enemy. In this case, the first enemy is the Bluetooth connectivity with the app. Similar to Philips' “smart” Sonicare toothbrushes, connectivity is spotty and not very stable across multiple phones and platforms (it works with both iOS and Android), and the newest version barely works at all (witness the 1-star ratings on Google), so I ended up using the previous version (6.3.0), which - mostly - seems to work, at least with an Android phone. You would think that behemoth companies like P&G and Philips Norelco could hire decent software developers, but apparently not. The other down side of this arrangement is that the shaver’s controls - as in speed adjustment - can only be done through the app. No connection, no controls. The second enemy is the app’s ability to actually track what you’re doing - in my case, I shave wet (a wet/dry shaver), with “passes" similar to my DE shaving, and my normal shave takes anywhere from 10-15 minutes. The app doesn’t completely recognize that, and advises “I have exceeded the recommended 4 minutes.” I'm not sure what sort of future recommendation I'll receive from that. It does seem to have accurately captured my rotary skills (71% efficient movement), and I agree with that. It provides helpful articles and keeps track of each shave so you can measure your progress, and you don’t actually need your phone beside you shaving - it stores your shave and transfers the next time you connect. The shaver itself is excellent, and the heads (SH70/72) resemble in feel and performance the heads of Philips' top-of-the-line 9000 Prestige models (SH98/72), providing a close and comfortable shave with or without Bluetooth.

So overall, great potential, and an interesting and potentially useful concept, not yet completely realized. It is technically possible to have a shaving app that controls the speed and sensitivity of your shaver on the fly, and instructs you in improving your shaving technique to give you a better shave - this one is almost there. Witness Braun's latest version of their ‘smart" toothbrushes (the iO), which uses the phone's camera and AI to track where you are brushing and how successfully, and provides real time feedback on whether you actually successfully brushed. But the brushes cost anywhere from $200 to $300, with replacement heads on the order of $15, needing replacement every 2-3 months. Cheaper than a trip to the dentist, but orders of magnitude more than a Walgreen's 50‐cent brush. Fortunately, this shaver is around $150-170, which is ballpark for a nice high-end rotary that provides a nice shave.

Still working with it, and I can see value in it, particularly with novice users new to rotary shavers, but once your shaving technique is down and you are comfortable with your daily shave, probably redundant. But cool. Pics and screenshots follow.

20200809_135109.jpg

20200809_134743.jpg
20200809_134630.jpg
20200809_134951.jpg
20200809_134917.jpg

20200809_134829.jpg
20200809_134709.jpg

Last edited:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I'm so sick of having interfaces to every electronic devices. Sorry @Scaramouche I don't mean to rain on your post, it is very good indeed. I'm just saying in general so many of them are a giant time suck to get basic connectivity working and staying working and then often times provides limited value anyway. I actually look for devices that have controls and such that don't require bluetooth or apps. I'm a curmudgeon.

I have no interest in "smart" products, because they aren't.

I'm so sick of having interfaces to every electronic devices. Sorry @Scaramouche I don't mean to rain on your post, it is very good indeed. I'm just saying in general so many of them are a giant time suck to get basic connectivity working and staying working and then often times provides limited value anyway. I actually look for devices that have controls and such that don't require bluetooth or apps. I'm a curmudgeon.

I have no interest in "smart" products, because they aren't.

No worries, completely agree! :001_smile As noted, Bluetooth seems to be in everything now - maybe to our social detriment. I'm of the Curmudgeon Clan myself, so understand. But sometimes it's actually useful. Whether in a shaver remains to be seen (I'm not sure how successful this particular product is in Philips Norelco's overall shaving line). An interesting concept, and as noted, could be useful as a teaching tool for novice shavers, or just to clear up persistent skin problems. Shaving is a messy business, so a useful feature is memory storage in the shaver itself for future transfer. I'd say at this point that the technology is in the embryonic stage as far as shaving utility.

My Android Auto, on the other hand, is very useful, and a very robust concept. I'd miss it. Bluetooth speakers - yeah, bring it. Remote file transfer - 'kay. Wireless connectivity for printers - okey dokey. But as with anything requiring coding, and technologically complex, it needs good developers and a good concept to begin with, which seems to be missing in many of these hardware/software pairings (pun intended). We shall see. Meanwhile, let the dreamers dream, and let's see where that leads us. :biggrin1:

Last edited:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
No worries, completely agree! :001_smile As noted, Bluetooth seems to be in everything now - maybe to our social detriment. I'm of the Curmudgeon Clan myself, so understand. But sometimes it's actually useful. Whether in a shaver remains to be seen (I'm not sure how successful this particular product is in Philips Norelco's overall shaving line). An interesting concept, and as noted, could be useful as a teaching tool for novice shavers, or just to clear up persistent skin problems. Shaving is a messy business, so a useful feature is memory storage in the shaver itself for future transfer. I'd say at this point that the technology is in the embryonic stage as far as shaving utility.

My Android Auto, on the other hand, is very useful, and a very robust concept. I'd miss it. Bluetooth speakers - yeah, bring it. Remote file transfer - 'kay. Wireless connectivity for printers - okey dokey. But as with anything requiring coding, and technologically complex, it needs good developers and a good concept to begin with, which seems to be missing in many of these hardware/software pairings (pun intended). We shall see. Meanwhile, let the dreamers dream, and let's see where that leads us. :biggrin1:

Speakers are good. Android auto I've used. It was good, but it assumed I always wanted my phone connected and would resume streaming if I left something playing. I could have tweaked that in settings somewhere I'm guessing. Have an apple now. My truck is old enough that it has built in GPS. I live near a city, but also enjoy driving in out in the sticks. For that, unless you pick where you are going on your phone when you have good connectivity and it caches all the maps, your SOL when your connectivity drops. I much prefer good old GPS off a satellite any day of the week compared to smart phones if I'm outside of city limits. In the big city, the phone rules because it has traffic and other info which you need to pay extra for on the built in and the maps are updated as often as they are updated.
But, yeah. At one point somebody had to dream of GPS so I guess I need to let them dream.

How 'bout a Bluetooth SR? Would be great to learn how to shave with a straight with an app....
they have gone too far. Bic releasing an "AI bluetooth cart"... Gillette releasing that silly monstrosity "the heated razor"... now philips witn a bluetooth connected electric shaver.... Do they really think we're incapable to shave by ourselves??? Don't you think they are bullspitting us? Our grand-grandfathers are turning in their graves.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the concept is like most other things when it comes to 'advancements' in technology, it follows the trends of society. In this case, Bluetooth connectivity and an associated app.

One could argue the same about DE safety razors.... "Straight razors work just fine and disposable blades are a gimmick to take our money!!" In 1908 people probably also said, "my grandfather would be rolling in his grave to know I buy new blades monthly!" Wireless phones, heck... Phones in general! Automatic transmissions, clothes washing machines, etc.

@catshaver65, do you own a cell phone or do you use carrier pigeon? Do you own a washing machine or do you have a washboard and tub? Do you use a crank on the front of your car engine to wind it up? Bet you've got a data plan, bet you've got WiFi, bet you use email. But why!!!!! Fax and phone call work 'just fine' lol. Yes those are extreme examples but it's all the same principal.

All of that said, I personally wouldn't use this style of device. I don't even like foil shavers that pivot haha, that's why I stick with the Braun series 3. I still own a typewriter if that says anything.

Last edited:
they have gone too far. Bic releasing an "AI bluetooth cart"... Gillette releasing that silly monstrosity "the heated razor"... now philips witn a bluetooth connected electric shaver.... Do they really think we're incapable to shave by ourselves??? Don't you think they are bullshitting us? Our grand-grandfathers are turning in their graves.

It's good to have an opinion. My grandfather would have jumped right in and tried it, and probably tried to add some bells and whistles. 1752 was a pretty good year, but, well, we have electricity coming through the walls now, and don't have to go outside and fly a kite to get some. :001_smile Maybe everything new isn't a bad thing?

Thanks for sharing your findings from the trial. I have question not related to the smart feature but the cutting heads. I see that they have removed the inner "cutting ring" from the S7000 series shavers. I think I remember you said you have tried the earlier iteration of S7000 series so wonder if you miss that there are gone? Do you even notice? I see you say the shave is good so that should be all good of course. Ask because I am contemplating changing cutting heads on my older s7710.

As long as they are not providing a perfect shaving robot in the shape of a beautiful woman I am pretty sure i will do it myself no electronics needed.

ok if they make a Perfect fit laser mask doing that without contact. And 1 time in week enough. hmmmm I might make an exception

Thanks for sharing your findings from the trial. I have question not related to the smart feature but the cutting heads. I see that they have removed the inner "cutting ring" from the S7000 series shavers. I think I remember you said you have tried the earlier iteration of S7000 series so wonder if you miss that there are gone? Do you even notice? I see you say the shave is good so that should be all good of course. Ask because I am contemplating changing cutting heads on my older s7710.

You're welcome - not a constant rotary user (I find it takes a week or two at least with a rotary to adapt again), but willing to give it a fair shot. Among the other rotaries I use are the standard 7000 Series with the SH70/52 heads, the 9000 Series and the Prestige from Norelco with the SH98/72 heads. All of them have slightly different characteristics, and all provide - for me - a good shave. The heads for the Smart Series, the SH70/72, are missing the inner cutting ring of the 70/52 heads, and as far as I can tell right now only come in a replacement version as the entire head assembly.

The heads of the earlier 7000 Series are the most comfortable rotary heads I've used, again, for me, and I honestly can't say whether its because of that inner ring, but they do work, and I believe the "comfort rings" help as well. The newer "Smart Series" heads are closer in design to the Prestige heads - one cutting ring, and metal inner retaining rings. They provide a slightly closer shave, but to me are not quite as comfortable as the earlier 7000 Series or the 9000 Series (which falls somewhere in between the earlier 7000 Series and the Prestige on the comfort scale for me). All will provide a comfortable enough, close enough shave, but I suppose it depends on where one falls on the comfort/closeness spectrum, because I find for me, usually, you trade one for the other slightly. The older 7000 Series heads are cheaper (especially since you don't need to replace the whole head), and certainly provide a great shave, so I'm not sure I'd swap out the original numbered heads for the newer version just for the sake of change without the smart features.

A brief update - app updated itself to 6.4.0, and seems now to connect better (and contacting Philips they advise another update is pending). I generally shave and update later, downloading my latest session. Based on results, it gave me another survey after a week, and actually did adjust the shaver slightly - and I have improved my time (below 10 minutes), but I think I'm close to the limit wet shaving with a brush and lather for complete coverage and a close shave. I'm actually getting a better shave, so I'm gradually changing my opinion on the utility of the app. First, it's not necessary to have the shaver beside you while shaving - it stores the information and transfers it when you next connect. And I haven't used the "guided shave" option, which actually coaches you while you shave, and may never, but the app does provide useful feedback. Second, tracking the time and motion has allowed me to adjust my technique - and measure it on subsequent shaves. And I find that this has improved my shave, both comfort and closeness, so there may really be something to this "smart" stuff. Still in its infancy, both hardware and software in my opinion (although the shaver is a great rotary as a stand-alone), but I'm actually looking forward to Mark II, III and IV. :001_smile

..."it's not necessary to have the shaver beside you while shaving"... Meant the phone of course...duh! :blush: I usually have the shaver beside me while shaving. Close beside me....

You're welcome - not a constant rotary user (I find it takes a week or two at least with a rotary to adapt again), but willing to give it a fair shot. Among the other rotaries I use are the standard 7000 Series with the SH70/52 heads, the 9000 Series and the Prestige from Norelco with the SH98/72 heads. All of them have slightly different characteristics, and all provide - for me - a good shave. The heads for the Smart Series, the SH70/72, are missing the inner cutting ring of the 70/52 heads, and as far as I can tell right now only come in a replacement version as the entire head assembly.

The heads of the earlier 7000 Series are the most comfortable rotary heads I've used, again, for me, and I honestly can't say whether its because of that inner ring, but they do work, and I believe the "comfort rings" help as well. The newer "Smart Series" heads are closer in design to the Prestige heads - one cutting ring, and metal inner retaining rings. They provide a slightly closer shave, but to me are not quite as comfortable as the earlier 7000 Series or the 9000 Series (which falls somewhere in between the earlier 7000 Series and the Prestige on the comfort scale for me). All will provide a comfortable enough, close enough shave, but I suppose it depends on where one falls on the comfort/closeness spectrum, because I find for me, usually, you trade one for the other slightly. The older 7000 Series heads are cheaper (especially since you don't need to replace the whole head), and certainly provide a great shave, so I'm not sure I'd swap out the original numbered heads for the newer version just for the sake of change without the smart features.
Thank you for a good explanation on the differences. Think I will stick with the SH70/52 heads for now and will see what is on the market in a few years. Agree with you on the tradeoff of close shave or comfort do also have an older and cheaper Philips with Lift and Cut and it shaves closer but is the only shaving device that have ever given me an ingrown hair. Just one though :)

maybe it's even possible to use the sh 98/72 , the attachment is the same. Philips obviously doesn't confirm it (otherwise nobody would buy the Prestige) but a friend confirmed it's working perfectly. He bought a pair of SH98/72 for his old sensotouch (from 2010...) and for his series 7000

Sometimes I think the technology doesn’t really fit the task, but it’s just another useless selling point. We recently moved into a home where the previous owner was an IT guy and had installed a lot of technology. The house has Nest thermostats, which work very well not connected to the WiFi. The garage door opener is also WiFi capable, but not connected and I have RING video doorbell. Why would I need to adjust my thermostats, open or close the garage door, or see who’s at the front door remotely from my phone? Just because it’s technically possible doesn’t mean it’s really useful. I’ve lived here a month and no one has come to the door so spending $3 a month to have the RING doorbell connected is silly. There’s always someone home to adjust the thermostats and closing my garage door from the phone is also silly. If I leave it open my wife can close the door after sending her a text. So far I can’t see any reason to connect these things.

Why do I need an app on my phone to know how effective, how long of time to shave or to determine the comfort level of my shave? I can easily feel my face with my fingers and determine the closeness, feel the irritation and determine which part of my face I may have missed. Bluetooth connectivity to an electric shaver is just another gimmick like cleaning stations to get you to buy a new shaver. My Braun seven series shaver has adjustable speeds which I can’t tell any difference which speed I select. The newer models adjust that setting automatically which is also useless.

Top Bottom