What's new

Small pocket knife recommendations?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
i picked up an older 1970's model Buck 305, made in the USA. it's small enough to fit in the 5th pocket of my jeans (you know the really small useless pocket?) without preventing me from getting things in and out of the bigger pocket, but it stays sharp enough to take care of anything I'd use a pocket knife to do.

It's not useless...it's for a pocket watch. Been using them since I was a kid.

I'm a little late to the party (by about 11 years) but I've been carrying a Case Mini Stockman for years.

1686517474907.png

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I am not a knife guru, but I work in a mechanics shop, as well as work in lawncare, a knife is a necessary tool in my EDC! I have two quality pockets knifes in my EDC. These knifes are................

Schrade SCH911DBS Knife
1686524921340.png

8.3" total length, 3.5" 4034 High Carbon Stainless Steel blade.
Nylon Fiber Handle Lockable Spring assisted opening pocket knife.
5.5 oz

Wenger 16822 S 585 Evolution Lock
Swiss Army Knife
1686525175891.png

12 implements 18 functions, with safety locking 2.5" stainless steel main
blade. 2.75" double-cut wood saw, adj. jaw pliers with wire crimper & cutter
2.4" springless scissor with serrated self sharpening design
locking straight blade screwdriver, cap lifter, wire stripper, can opener,
nail file, nail cleaner
Phillips head screwdriver, reamer, awl, toothpick, tweezer, key ring
4.1 oz

PS: I also have that pocket knife sharpener shown in previous posters photo.

1000000623.jpg
1000000459.jpg

On top is the Al Mar "Osprey" and below, a Wiseman "Sodbuster". Both are small, easily carried pocket knives. The Al Mar is tiny, with a 1.65" blade. OAL 3.95" when open. I also have a Case #6220 with Jigged Bone scales. No image.

b/r

ON_1

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I carry a little Case physician's knife. In addition to being short, it is thin, having only one blade. It almost disappears along the seam of my right front pocket. It serves for small but important jobs, like eating barbecue.

I see what you did there.

For an EDC traditional folder at a far east price point, Rough Ryder's offerings are worth a look. You won't cry or curse if one goes missing.
I second that recommendation. I have two, a trapper from their Wasp series with VG10 steel and G10 scales and a half hawk with T10 steel and blue denim Micarta scales. Less than $20 each from Smoky Mountain Knife Works, both are an awful lot of knife for the money.
IMG_8216.jpeg

Victorinox Alox Cadet is the finest gentleman's knife every made. It's killer app is the nail file which get extraordinary leverage with the alox scales.

If you miss the scissors, pick up an Alox Classic (good and almost invisible) or Alox Minichamp (best but a little bulkier) to round things out on your keychain.

Alox Bantam with Alox Classic or Alox Minichamp gets you there as well, but the nail file on the Cadet is luxury.

Victorinox Alox Cadet is the finest gentleman's knife every made. It's killer app is the nail file which get extraordinary leverage with the alox scales.

If you miss the scissors, pick up an Alox Classic (good and almost invisible) or Alox Minichamp (best but a little bulkier) to round things out on your keychain.

Alox Bantam with Alox Classic or Alox Minichamp gets you there as well, but the nail file on the Cadet is luxury.
I'm a fan of the Alox Classic. Its nail file is pretty darn good too.

Alox Classic is so small and has lots of utility with the scissors and nail file. Goes great with something like a Pioneer which has neither.

If you can swing it, try to pick up an Alox Minichamp. It is literally amazing. I also have a custom Alox Rambler, and while it has optimal thickness, the Minichamp is only a tad thicker and has much more utility. The celidor Minichamp is much too thick with the pen scales, alox is the way to go!

Swiss Army knife is like most multi-tools. Does many things, nothing well.

If you want 20 buck knife, hit Wal-Mart for a special.
Swiss Army Knives and other multitools aren't meant to replace your toolbox or any tool within. They're meant to be handy when you come across a small job...so you don't have to go to your car/truck, shed, closet or wherever else you may keep your tools. Chose one with the tools you'll most likely need in your day-to-day life/leisure activities, and you'll not have an issue.

Top Bottom