What's new

Slim vs Fat

I was wondering is anyone here uses both the slim adjustable and the fat boy. Anyone have a preference of one over the other? Do the settings on the razors (1-9) equate with each other?

I have 2 of each and while the slim is about 10 grams lighter and has a slightly flatter head I don't find any difference in how they shave. Some prefer the feel of one handle over the other but I like both equally.

I'd say the settings are similar.

I like the Slim more. Can't put a finger on why other than I've been getting the best shaves of my life with the Slim. Perhaps it's the handle.

All I know is that the combination of the Slim and a Feather blade is tough to beat. :biggrin:

I also have both and prefer the slim. The weight is more in the head and the head itself seems less bulky and cumbersome. Settings seem similar on both, but my choice of settings varies widely by blade: two with Feathers or Swedish and four to five with Derby's. Good luck!

-Casey

I have 2 of each and while the slim is about 10 grams lighter and has a slightly flatter head I don't find any difference in how they shave. Some prefer the feel of one handle over the other but I like both equally.

I have one of each, and they are side-by-side as my "go-to" razors. :thumbup1:

I just purchased a Slim Adjustable to go with my Merkur Classic. I tried out the Slim for the first time tonight. The Classic is like a sports car. Very agile and agressive. The Slim is like driving a big Caddy. A bit bulky and you don't get the feedback from the handle like you do on the Classic but Oh what a ride!This thing just seems to float over the surface of your face. I used a Feather blade with a setting of 3 or 4. I tried setting it a bit higher but the sweet spot of this razor seems to be around 3. A great shave. :thumbup:

All I know is that the combination of the Slim and a Feather blade is tough to beat. :biggrin:

I agree. For some reason, I can use sharper blades with the slims (I have a shorty and a long handle) than I can with either my Fat Boy or Super Speed. I think it has to do with the flatter head. I generally use the same settings on the Fat Boy as I do on the Slims, but I can't say for sure that they are exactly equal.

I've got a Fat Boy, a Slim Adjustable, and both Super Adjustables (with the long and short handles). I prefer shaving with the Slim or Super Adjustables and believe it has something to do with the lower profile head design. YMMV.

I just got my first shave with my new Fat Boy. As I said before the Slim Adjustable compared to my Merkur classic is like comparing a Cadillac to sports car. Well, if the SA is like Caddy, the Fat Boy is like a tank. Boy is this thing heavy. Once I got used to the additional heft, I got a great shave. There is almost no vibration in this razor asit plowsthrough your beard. Overall, it's a great razor.

So which one is better Fat or Slim? To me, it's a tossup. Although it feels much longer, the Slim is only about 1/8 of an inch taller. The head is the same. If you liketo grasp the razor on the lower part of the handle, then the Slim is probably the right tool for you.If you like to choke up a bit, then you'll probably like the Fat Boy. If I were forced to pick one, it would probably be the Slim. Although it wins by only the slimest of margins.:biggrin:

I can't say for sure, because I don't have either. But I have seen side by side pictures of the heads, and I'm pretty sure they are different. Anybody remember where those pictures are?

-Mo

You're right. The head on the FatBoy is slightly narrower and steeper in the middle where the Slim head is wider and flatter. I couldn't tell much difference in the shaves though.

Top Bottom