What's new

Tatara Masaune vs Muramasa

I have a black Tatara Masaume (not Nodachi) and am wondering if anyone has experience with the adjustable and the fixed head razors. The gap and offset on the Masamura 1 or 2 seem to be very close to the Masaume, but wondering if they have different "feels" on the face or in the hand. Thoughts?

I have a black Tatara Masaume (not Nodachi) and am wondering if anyone has experience with the adjustable and the fixed head razors. The gap and offset on the Masamura 1 or 2 seem to be very close to the Masaume, but wondering if they have different "feels" on the face or in the hand. Thoughts?
I have both.
The only thing the Muramasa have in common is the design.
The Muramasa has a more flexible blade support.
The Muramasa settings below 2.5 is not usable for me, but I like to feel the blade cutting.
The Masamune with the Nodachi base plate is a really efficient and good combination in my opinion.

I have both of them and on specs the Muramasa on 1 it´s the same gap and exposure of the Masamune, but I find that the blade on the Muramasa has more rigidity, this makes it more efficient but less forgiving. Now putting on the Nodachi plate on the Masamune increases the gap but still maintain the exposure negative, this you cannot do on the Muramasa because the system increases the exposure as you increase the gap. So at setting 5 you have a .90 mm gap and a positive exposure of .17 mm, even more than the Nodachi.

Still I like them both have the Masamune on my sink, and my Muramasa as my travel razor.

IMG_20230921_125943921_Thota Vaikuntam.jpg

Cheers

The width of the top cap is identical on both razors. However, the Masamune base plate also have a wider blade support under the blade. This makes it stiffer.
The open comb baseplate is even stiffer, because this support is also along the full length, and not just at the ends. This is because the open comb does not need lather channels.

The Muramasa also curves the blade more, giving a steeper shaving angle.

They will shave completely different.

If the laws of physics had been different, this might be the opposite.
20240228_095353.jpg

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that the Muramasa head is longer, this makes the side tabs aren´t exposed like on the Masamune.
This won´t make a difference to me but I know to some guys it does
IMG_20240228_081916528_MFNR.jpg

About blade rigidity, this could be because the support area on the Muramasa is complete since the lather channels are under the plate, same full support as the OC Masamune, on the SB Masamune it just gives full support on the ends, but on the middle it´s mid supported.

One test that it´s easy to do is to mount a blade and with your fingernail (or with a clip point for safety sakes) push the blade down, there you can see how much it yields and so the rigidity.

Cheers

I forgot to mention that the Muramasa head is longer, this makes the side tabs aren´t exposed like on the Masamune.
This won´t make a difference to me but I know to some guys it does
View attachment 1803772

About blade rigidity, this could be because the support area on the Muramasa is complete since the lather channels are under the plate, same full support as the OC Masamune, on the SB Masamune it just gives full support on the ends, but on the middle it´s mid supported.

One test that it´s easy to do is to mount a blade and with your fingernail (or with a clip point for safety sakes) push the blade down, there you can see how much it yields and so the rigidity.

Cheers
You need to measure this to see it.
The Muramasa is not as wide.

This support length is raised to the power of 3. So, a small difference in this support length can makes a big difference to the stiffness.
1709135905815.png

20240228_164646.jpg
20240228_164627.jpg

Top Bottom