What's new

Slickest Shaving Soap (or Cream)?

Just ordered my first Arko! ;)

w.jpg

By the way... Williams Mug Soap is ahead of the entire field in this category but it is seldom mentioned because it doesn't cost you lot enough money. Even those of you who are somehow incapable of making a lather with it will discover Williams' slickness simply by running your wet fingers over the area where there would be lather and then shaving said area. Williams is Number One on my list of The Top 100 Soaps for Residual Slickness.

Just wanted to let you know that your post had me rummaging through the "isle of misfit soaps" under the sink for my Williams. Initially I purchased it because it was cheap and I was just trying different things. At the time I didn't care for it. As time wears on we learn more and more about what we like in a shave and how various soaps react with various amounts of water.

My shave today was near perfect, I really enjoyed the shave and can see myself working Williams into the rotation and possibly being my "everyday soap". I have others that I'm equally happy with so I don't see it being a replacement, just an addition to.

Glad you mentioned it and I'm glad I pulled it out of storage. Now hopefully some day I figure out how to make Gentleman Floris work. Love that scent but the lather dissipates before the blade even hits my skin!

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Just wanted to let you know that your post had me rummaging through the "isle of misfit soaps" under the sink for my Williams. Initially I purchased it because it was cheap and I was just trying different things. At the time I didn't care for it. As time wears on we learn more and more about what we like in a shave and how various soaps react with various amounts of water.

My shave today was near perfect, I really enjoyed the shave and can see myself working Williams into the rotation and possibly being my "everyday soap". I have others that I'm equally happy with so I don't see it being a replacement, just an addition to.

Glad you mentioned it and I'm glad I pulled it out of storage. Now hopefully some day I figure out how to make Gentleman Floris work. Love that scent but the lather dissipates before the blade even hits my skin!
BoSox15? Which #15 inspired that name? Dustin Pedroia? Kevin Millar? Galen Cisco?

The slickest soap I've shaved with, has comprised of all sorts of left over bits of shaving soap, and hand soap whipped up in a shaving bowl. -If I could only market this concoction, it would beat ANY shaving soap in terms of cushioning and slickness !!

So don't throw those tiny bits of soap away.

Definitely going to order some...Do you know if the green is better for sensitive skin? Thanks.

I just emailed Cella in Italy 🇮🇹

Some people react to the red (tallow) almond/cherry Cella. Some people react to the green (bio) vegan Cella. It's performance I find almost as good but I can't use it because of the scent so I'm pretty disappointed because I'd prefer a lighter vegan soap and am ok compromising some performance for that.

I think the red Cella performs better and smells better. The bio Cella smells like cologne, and sort of doesn't match the product if that makes sense.

The two different pics of the red Cella are simply the old and new packaging. The old being just letters and the new being the prettier one with Santa.

I think sickness up to a point facilitates a good shave but beyond that you need a blade that can keep up and a razor that isn't too mild or is right for you, etc. Point being you could have the slickest stuff from the space program and get a shave equal to an average soap or cream.

Also, if you get too much at once you're going to be racking your brains trying to figure out which is "slickest" because the amount of hydration required varies so each soap will vary use by use until you know it and you may never best use each one. Besides, at the end of the day I suspect most people use the scent they like most and the rest falls into place. Because there isn't a night and day difference between any of them- ie the degree of differences are relatively minute because they're all made of essentially the same stuff and they all rely on water.

I think a lot of the YMMV thing regarding soaps and creams comes down to what people WANT to work due to scent, subconscious bias, they like the packaging, whatever. Besides, part of the pleasure is savoring the discovery. A process which evolves over time. So take it step by step and let your preferences evolve too.

Enjoy!

Allow me to say that a soap’s Slickness is generally overrated.

Master Italian barbers (plenty of videos available on YouTube) load very little product and use a lot of water when face lathering

I have recently done an experiment shaving a full week with 7 different soaps (Cella red and green, Proraso, Cade, La Toja, MDC, Tabac), using a large Omega boar brush and the Italian barber’s technique.

I had 7 great shaves but they were “uninspiring”. With that little product and that much water, I couldn’t discern one soap from another with this technique. My conclusion is that most shaving soaps out there are plenty slick to provide enough glide for a close shave. By over-hydrating, they all had similar slickness

Top Bottom