What's new

Slickest Shaving Soap (or Cream)?

Barrister and Mann - soft heart soap (any scent).

Tonka bean shave co (any scent).

Both give insanely good lather. I’d say TBSC gives a slightly slicker lather, but the B&M is just sooo easy to use.

I was just reminded by another thread,
that as far as enhancing the quality of the shave goes,
I like Barbasol better than any other commercially available cream or soap.

This stuff is really slick, along with the usual suspects Tabac Cream, ABC Cream and Williams if you can lather it.
20210421_200429.jpg

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
These posts keep popping up from time to time, always with the same result. I was going to count how many different soaps/creams appeared in this thread but gave up half way through when I hit 23.

So what conclusion can we come to? Any decent soap/cream will be more than slick enough if you hit the proper water/product ratio. Maybe we should try a list of soaps that are not slick enough. It would no doubt be a much shorter, more manageable list.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Spot on @musicman1951. I find these types of threads interesting but mainly for entertainment purposes. There is almost never a consensus.

We are spoiled for availability of great shaving products.

For me so far Cremo is slickest but I am new

I did buy about a dozen or more to try and compare so this might change in a month or so :)

the hard soaps tend to be squeaky odd after a pass or two
the sticky soaps as I call them like stirling are better than the hard but still more squeaky than creams

could be the insane hard water of AZ ? But never really used soaps until this last month getting into the DE thing just used cremo for years so maybe I know how to work/use it with my hard water ?
And only going to use what comes out my tap :) no desire to have a shaving water source :) I do that withy my espresso though ?

I like the hard soaps as the most fun to use and swirl a brush around but if they cant be as slick for me as a cream I go with performance first

also as of a few days ago the whole scent thing in soaps I am over already they last to short so fun while I use them but as long as I like the base smell of one or two I see no need for anymore also no need to have options as I am the type that tends to want to only use my one fav but types cream vs hard I can see having one of each based on the fun of using :) silly I reckon but I am kinda a minimal type person and choice kinda freaks me out :) hahahahahah

going to give a few more preshaves the try but really those also I cant tell a difference but will come back to in 6 months or so and see again as I learn more :)

so bottom line Cremo so far in the lead (tube cream)
followed by Proraso cream (tube cream)
then my taylor of old bond sensitive (creamy in tub)
then stirling (sticky but kinda hard)
then the hard soaps (as in hard to touch you cant scoop any of it)

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
These posts keep popping up from time to time, always with the same result. I was going to count how many different soaps/creams appeared in this thread but gave up half way through when I hit 23.

So what conclusion can we come to? Any decent soap/cream will be more than slick enough if you hit the proper water/product ratio. Maybe we should try a list of soaps that are not slick enough. It would no doubt be a much shorter, more manageable list.
This is why each man needs to compile his own list ranking his top 100 soaps for residual slickness. This is very important work.

Owen Bawn

By the way... Williams Mug Soap is ahead of the entire field in this category but it is seldom mentioned because it doesn't cost you lot enough money. Even those of you who are somehow incapable of making a lather with it will discover Williams' slickness simply by running your wet fingers over the area where there would be lather and then shaving said area. Williams is Number One on my list of The Top 100 Soaps for Residual Slickness.

Owen Bawn

I am not sure i have used 20 different products! Oh, dear! What should i write! The anxiety! :o15: So i am 80 soaps behind everyone else?! :scared:
You can only work with what you have, or with what you know. Don't be deterred from starting your list because you only have 20 soaps. Establish your residual slickness criteria, and then rank each of the twenty soaps that you have at present. Then as your collection expands with each failed GRUME you can insert newer soaps among those you will have already ranked. Soon you'll have 30, 50, or 75 soaps, well on your way to 100 or more. And the important thing is that you'll be able to pinpoint which soap is number 33 or number 64 or 81 in terms of residual slickness.

You can only work with what you have, or with what you know. Don't be deterred from starting your list because you only have 20 soaps. Establish your residual slickness criteria, and then rank each of the twenty soaps that you have at present. Then as your collection expands with each failed GRUME you can insert newer soaps among those you will have already ranked. Soon you'll have 30, 50, or 75 soaps, well on your way to 100 or more. And the important thing is that you'll be able to pinpoint which soap is number 33 or number 64 or 81 in terms of residual slickness.

I will try to be as thorough and objective as possible. I will check Amazon to see if there is a slickometer too. :lol: Oh, Richard! You and @FarmerTan make the most enjoyable posts in the forum!

P.S.: Wait! What was this about "each failed GRUME!" :o15:

Top Bottom