What's new

Mechanical properties of TOBS soaps

Hello,
Which of the TOBS soaps has the best mechanical properties, I mean the slickest, ensuring a close shave with an aggressive razor.
So far I've only tried Sandalwood, which I'm happy with, but the scent is very far from the Sandalwood found in expensive perfumes.
Anyway, the fragrance is not the main thing in this case, I'm just interested in the soap/soaps of this brand, with the best mechanical properties.

lasta

Blade Biter
Hello,
Which of the TOBS soaps has the best mechanical properties, I mean the slickest, ensuring a close shave with an aggressive razor.
So far I've only tried Sandalwood, which I'm happy with, but the scent is very far from the Sandalwood found in expensive perfumes.
Anyway, the fragrance is not the main thing in this case, I'm just interested in the soap/soaps of this brand, with the best mechanical properties.
Most TOBS perform the same to me, pick for scent. Then work on the amount of cream you use, more = better.

I also assumed it was the same base with different scents, but in another post I saw that actually, even the consistency of the soap in the boxes is different. This prompted me to ask the question from the first post.

lasta

Blade Biter
I also assumed it was the same base with different scents, but in another post I saw that actually, even the consistency of the soap in the boxes is different. This prompted me to ask the question from the first post.
Cheers.

Consistency comes with age, cream dries up over time. Shouldn't affect the shave!

lasta

Blade Biter
Does this mean that the Jermyn Street Collection for sensitive skin is no different from the others in the range?
Hmm, Jermyn wasn't my favourite scent from TOBS, a bit too sweet, but I didn't notice much difference in performance.

On the other hand, I'm not the best person to ask about lather qualities lol. I load heavy with everything and they all "perform" pretty much the same to me.

I used $2 Arko a few days ago, and $40 SV today, both were equal in slickness!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Does this mean that the Jermyn Street Collection for sensitive skin is no different from the others in the range?
I have not used TOBS creams for several years but at one time I used Sandalwood, Mr.Taylor, Cedarwood, and also Jermyn Street which was my favourite. I used to leave the lids off between uses in order to intentionally dry the creams and harden them as much as possible, as I preferred them that way. It is my recollection that Jermyn Street had a noticeably different appearance to the other creams. I suspect, but do not know, that Jermyn Street had a different base, or chemical makeup, than the other creams which were all the same cream simply with a different scent.

I have not used TOBS creams for several years but at one time I used Sandalwood, Mr.Taylor, Cedarwood, and also Jermyn Street which was my favourite. I used to leave the lids off between uses in order to intentionally dry the creams and harden them as much as possible, as I preferred them that way. It is my recollection that Jermyn Street had a noticeably different appearance to the other creams. I suspect, but do not know, that Jermyn Street had a different base, or chemical makeup, than the other creams which were all the same cream simply with a different scent.
When you mention Jermyn Street, I assume you mean different in a positive way?

Hmm, Jermyn wasn't my favourite scent from TOBS, a bit too sweet, but I didn't notice much difference in performance.

On the other hand, I'm not the best person to ask about lather qualities lol. I load heavy with everything and they all "perform" pretty much the same to me.

I used $2 Arko a few days ago, and $40 SV today, both were equal in slickness!
I understand that a large amount of soap will make for a smoother shave. But when using an aggressive razor like the R41, you can very easily feel the quality of the soap. For example, yesterday I used Proraso Red for the first time in combination with R41, it just wasn't good. It pulls, scrapes and doesn't go well. Dry shave sensation. Same soap, works great with softer razors. TOBS sandalwood, does a great job with the aggression of the 41, but still, I'd like to try others from this line. Not sure if the foundation is the same, smoothness and slipperiness.
Until this Sunday, in my strata I can buy TOBS for 9€ for a 150ml can.

Hello,

Welcome to B&B, Sir horizon!!

Are you referring to TOBS hard soaps or the soft creams??

taylor soap and cream.jpg

Hello!
Thanks for the welcome! I mean the soft creams

Ah!!

I've enjoyed many TOBS creams!
All have great and similar "mechanical" (ie shaving) properties.
I find that there can be some variances due to age, amount of water, shave prep, brush, etc!
I think TOBS, like many other excellent Brit creams, are all made under contract by Creightons, a British soap maker.

tobs samples dec 4 2013s.jpg

All the TOBS creams should perform the same with the possible exception of the Organic ones which have slightly different base ingredients. Anything that uses the same cream base from a different brand should also perform similarly well.

My favorite TOBS lather is the old formula "stearate first" lavender hard soap. They don't make that anymore and there isn't a direct replacement either.

Of the creams my favorite was Avocado but that is also gone. I bought some jars recently, Lavender and Cedarwood, to try.

All the TOBS creams should perform the same with the possible exception of the Organic ones which have slightly different base ingredients. Anything that uses the same cream base from a different brand should also perform similarly well.

My favorite TOBS lather is the old formula "stearate first" lavender hard soap. They don't make that anymore and there isn't a direct replacement either.

Of the creams my favorite was Avocado but that is also gone. I bought some jars recently, Lavender and Cedarwood, to try.
I don't like the lavender scent, no matter what product the smell comes from.
What is your opinion about cedar wood?

I don't like the lavender scent, no matter what product the smell comes from.
What is your opinion about cedar wood?

Lavender not macho enough for you? LOL.

Anyway I used the cedarwood cream this morning. Out of the jar it's quite woody with some citrus in the background. Once lathered up the citrus goes further to the back and it's a subtle woody powdery soap scent. I quite like it but would probably only use it in the winter. It's a very different scent to TOBS sandalwood if you know that one.

I paired it with a sample spritz of Epsilon Scottish Spirit aftershave and it matched pretty well due to some common notes. They don't smell exactly the same though.

Lavender not macho enough for you? LOL.

Anyway I used the cedarwood cream this morning. Out of the jar it's quite woody with some citrus in the background. Once lathered up the citrus goes further to the back and it's a subtle woody powdery soap scent. I quite like it but would probably only use it in the winter. It's a very different scent to TOBS sandalwood if you know that one.

I paired it with a sample spritz of Epsilon Scottish Spirit aftershave and it matched pretty well due to some common notes. They don't smell exactly the same though.
Yes, I have tried sandalwood from TOBS. This is practically the only soap of this brand that I currently have.
The mechanical qualities are great, but the scent that should be sandalwood is not quite the same. I have niche perfumes with stark realistic sandalwood and it is different than this soap. Anyway, I like the scent of the soap, even though it's not exactly what it's advertised to be.
About lavender. I live in a region where there are rose farms, where, almost all summer long, first roses are brewed, then lavadula, from which essential oils are extracted. I honestly hate the smell of both plants.

I will definitely try the cedar wood.

Greetings!

Yes, I have tried sandalwood from TOBS. This is practically the only soap of this brand that I currently have.
The mechanical qualities are great, but the scent that should be sandalwood is not quite the same. I have niche perfumes with stark realistic sandalwood and it is different than this soap. Anyway, I like the scent of the soap, even though it's not exactly what it's advertised to be.
About lavender. I live in a region where there are rose farms, where, almost all summer long, first roses are brewed, then lavadula, from which essential oils are extracted. I honestly hate the smell of both plants.

I will definitely try the cedar wood.

Greetings!

If you go to the TOBS website they do explain their scents a bit. The Sandalwood cream/soap/whatever has never been anything like Mysore sandalwood. It is a spicy cologne with some woody elements. Most of the old British brands of soap/cream/whatever are the same way - just an "interpretation" or "suggestion" of sandalwood - not really the real thing.

Most sandalwood perfumes and fragrances are in a similar boat, maybe a bit lighter in tone than TOBS but almost all of them use aroma-chemicals these days and have for some time. If they do use real sandalwood oil, they only use a minuscule amount. Doesn't matter if the bottle was over 200 dollars either.

Top Bottom