What's new

Slick Back Hairstyle - What hairproduct 2 use ?

I am a guy and wana have a slick back hairstyle. The quality of my hair is silky smooth and straight like girls!

Now what kind of product shall i be using? please give ur inputs..

A hair stylist have recommended me - "Wella Matte Styling paste" but its a lil expensive.

You ppl think i should be using tht, or sumthing like hairwax will do? [If this option what strength hold]

My only requirement is the product should keep the hold daylong and not let my hairs slip as its extremely smooth.

Sample image of my desired hairstyle:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
If you don't want it too greasy looking, Aveda makes a men's pomade that gives a bit of hold with a natural look, and smells really good.

proxy.php
<---this, or Murray's pomade.

Layrite

http://www.hawleywoods.com/pd-hawleywoods-layrite-original-pomade-4oz-can.cfm

It's heavy, like a wax, and will hold all day. Water based, so it washes out really well with one shampoo. Depending on your hair (mine is thick/coarse), the Groom & Clean and the Brylcreem won't hold since they're so soft. I use the Layrite in a pompadour and it will hold tight as long as I want and then wash right out. A little goes a long way, so it ends up being pretty cheap. Smells kind of like vanilla.

I'll second some of what has already been mentioned:

Brylcreem
Groom&Clean
Layrite
Suavecito
Murray's
Murray's Super Light (shinier and lighter weight)
Royal Crown (similar to Super light)
Dax (multiple varieties)

check out thegreaseshop.com for tons of products

Any pomade that you like, many can be had for a few a dollars and some others are quite expensive. But read a few of the other articles in here there has been a few discussions recently about these products.

I have a similar hair style to what you want although mine is real short around the sides and long on top,with a side part.i just got a product called grants pomade its a real nice product holds really well and has the right amount of shine.Washes out very easy which is a big +.I guess to some it may be kinda pricey.....but then again you see my quote...:ladysman:

I am living in asia and hence many products mentioned above is not available here.

I got myself Dax (Blue) & Brylcream.

Now, i have tried Dax but i guess it isnt the right variety for me , as it is able to hold my hair in place only for about 30mins after application after which hairs starts getting in front of my face and i have to keep on adjusting and after a few hours not effective at all, as most of my hair start to get on my face :(

I will try Brylcream tomm. and post my review with this product now.

In the meantime, i am open to all types of valuable suggestion you folks might have got for me.

PS: I have tried everywhere and pomade is not available where i live, but the blue dax i got has almost similar ingredient to what pomade contains.

Groom & Clean. I swear by it. It keeps a firm hold with a slick look all day, but doesn't even feel like there is anything in your hair.

Ok guyz, i have used Brylcream now and again its strictly OK. It doesnt last more than 1Hour and my hair starts coming off frm sides....

Now, what shall i do - Any recommendations? My hairs, apart frm smooth are thin if thts gona help you in recommending me sumthing...

Also, as i have posted in my first post - please tellme hows this product an hair stylist recommended me... it says the hold level of the product is 2, so dont you guys think it will be having similar effect on my hair as the Dax/Bryclream ?

The link to the product:
http://www.lookfantastic.com/wella-...-move-matte-styling-paste-150ml/10552829.html

PS: I dont use Hairdryer... do i have 2 use one so tht the products work better ?

Last edited:
Dono about the stuff you were recomended but I use Axe pomade. They have several different types so you can see what works for you.

Using a brush instead of a comb will help it to stay in place too. It really makes a difference for traditional hairstyles.

I've never used it, but here's the description of Booster Russian Bear Oil:

proxy.php

"Russian bear oil is what the old time movie stars threw in the hair to “slick” it back. A little bear oil helps you keep that retro style and well conditioned hair as well!"

I always use my pomade when my hair is damp as it makes it easier to get to look how I want. I dont know if that will help it hold all day though.

You might want to try this http://www.suavecitopomade.com/ suppose to be pretty good have not tried it myself yet, if you don't like im sure you could toss it in BST or PIF it away.

Last edited:
Top Bottom