What's new

Slanthammer

I'm new to the forum but not to wet shaving and after reading so many things about the slant head I went ahead and got one. I mentioned somewhere that I had been shaving with an adjustable Gillete more than 20 yrs old and I was living in the past as far as wet shaving is concerned.
Well I got the Merkur long handle slant and it is all is supposed to be I must admit I was bit paranoid from what I read on this forum before shaving with it. I thought it was going to be a face chomping piranha and as a concesion to my fears used a Dorco blade, no feathers on this one; at least not this time.
Well the trick as everyone pointed out is angle and nooo pressure. I finished with a smooth and whole face. Thanks for the tips on the slant:biggrin:

Welcome to the brotherhood.:biggrin:

The slant seems to have a following all it's own. Some people won't use anything else while others hate it.

I am one of the converted. I use a slant when traveling, it does almost as well as my straights!

+1 Sledgehammer

In my nooby-dom, I am guilty of many shaving sins (i.e. too much pressure, wrong blade angle, against the grain, too fast & sloppy), but I have never really done all that much damage, even with the slant loaded with a feather.

Thayers Witch Hazel, Alum, (and recently Aqua Velva) are my damage control. Most people tell me they couldn't tell I had massacred my face that same morning.

I think people are spreading a lot of fear of these products as a sort of precautionary overkill against that one guy with no common sense who really doesn't deserve to shave with anything other than safety scissors.

In my opnion, the slant cuts just slightly more smoothly than a normal razor (in my case, futur), but for the same cost, the slant is definitely the better value.

And yes, I really like the added weight and handle length that helps maintain control.

Since the Slant is my regular shaver, I think you upped the ante a bit here and are really tempting me to get the 'hammer. Hmmmm....same great Slant shave with more weight AND a longer handle? Ohhhh too tempting...

I got my first one, a 37G, in December. By February, I had added a 39C and two of the Hoffritz versions. Great razors all.

39C: Slant SledgeHammer is one of my favorite razors.
Just be careful with the ATG passes and youll be fine.

I can't sing the praises of the 39c enough - definitely my go to razor... With a Feather you don't even feel the shave happening...

Top Bottom