What's new

Slant/Feather Vs. HD/Feather

For those who have used both the Slant and HD (with Feathers), is the shave really that different?

I'm currently using the HD/Feather combo (with great results) but am wondering if the Slant is really that much better.

Opinions?

For me... yeah, it's much better.

In general I hear the slant is better for sensitive skin. Since I got the slant I haven't used the HD if that gives you any indication of how they work for me.

YMMV of course, but it's definitely worth trying.

It is a really different experience. I've done a handful of HD/Feather shaves and two Slant/Feather shaves. In the HD, it did the job, but irritation was a factor.

Less so with the slant bar (I think). The blade seemed to just float over my skin in many areas. As if it weren't in contact with my face at all.

However on the second slant shave, I tried to use it on my mustache the same way I would an HD (using the left side of the head). Mistake. The blade is curved somewhat and, at that angle, I got a couple of nasty nicks.

I'm sticking with my Derby/HD setup for a while, but I'll try the slant at least a couple more times before I give up on it.

Overall, I'd say that the slant is forcing the blade itself to do more of the work than it does in an HD. You'll notice this especially on an ATG pass. The blade either cuts the hair, or it catches.

I'm seeing a common theme among the responses:001_smile

I think I'm almost convinced....but now I'm faced with another issue...

Gold or Stainless?

My main reason for wanting to make the move to a slant is that my beard is pretty thick and dense.

I am thinking a slant might lower the number of passes needed for a close shave, with the HD I must take at least 4 passes to get BBS, sometimes 5.

Michael, keep in mind if you start using a feather/slant combo, to use light pressure. It will give you a very close shave. Good luck.

Michael, keep in mind if you start using a feather/slant combo, to use light pressure. It will give you a very close shave. Good luck.

Austin,

I just noticed your avatar, is that a sub-no date or a sea dweller?

I've been in the market and can't decide between the sub, aquatimer, or seamaster....

decisions, decisions, decisions

Austin,

I just noticed your avatar, is that a sub-no date or a sea dweller?

I've been in the market and can't decide between the sub, aquatimer, or seamaster....

decisions, decisions, decisions

It's a submariner. I have collected Rolex' for years and this model is my favorite.

Since I have been using the slant/feather combo, I have not even thought about using the hd/feather combo(which I love when in a hurry).

Marty

I'm seeing a common theme among the responses:001_smile

I think I'm almost convinced....but now I'm faced with another issue...

Gold or Stainless?

I like stainless. The gold finish seems easier to damage, plus I'll bet a little bit of soap scum makes it look even worse in gold. I'd end up having to give it a thorough cleaning after each shave.

Top Bottom