What's new

Skincare Clinic

Just some news. Recently the FDA proposed a ban on over-the-counter sales of skin-lightening products. These products typically contain hydroquinone, a possible carcinogen also linked to a skin-disfiguring condition called ochronosis. Symptoms include darkening and thickening of the skin, tiny dome-shaped bumps and grayish-brown spots. Under the proposed FDA rule, all skin-bleaching products -prescription and over-the-counter would be considered new drugs. Manufacturers would have to get FDA approval to sell them , and only then with a doctor's note - FYI

Hi Nicole,

I have been meaning to ask you for a while what is your opinion on SLS and SLES in shampoos and Shave creams.

I have been reading horror stories about what can happend to the human nervous system taking up this ingredient.

Why is the industry using SLS and SLES ? is there a safe treshold of usage for these? All I know as a layman is that it makes a big part of the foaming process we like in shampoos,toothpaste, Shave creams.

SSLStudio said:
Hi Nicole,

I have been meaning to ask you for a while what is your opinion on SLS and SLES in shampoos and Shave creams.

I have been reading horror stories about what can happend to the human nervous system taking up this ingredient.

Why is the industry using SLS and SLES ? is there a safe treshold of usage for these? All I know as a layman is that it makes a big part of the foaming process we like in shampoos,toothpaste, Shave creams.
The industry uses it because it foams well as a surfactant and it's cheap to buy in bulk. The industry for the most part is unregulated and so they are looking out for their pockets and not your health. I don't know if there is a safe threshold. I will not use products nor offer any products containing these ingredients-period. I can tell you that it is a proven eye irritant as well.

GentsLLC Shaving-Skincare said:
The industry uses it because it foams well as a surfactant and it's cheap to buy in bulk. The industry for the most part is unregulated and so they are looking out for their pockets and not your health. I don't know if there is a safe threshold. I will not use products nor offer any products containing these ingredients-period. I can tell you that it is a proven eye irritant as well.

MY GOD ! and it is litteraly in everything ! try finding a toothpaste that has no SLS or SLES ! and I dont know if every manuf. writes everything on the label !
I think the products from SCS contain SLS or SES aswell but she doesnt write anything on her label I dont think she even has labels on her products?

Isnt there a law for these kinds of things even if they are home soap makers to still have a label on the product ? FDA ?

I think its a criminal offense to use products that harm people.. we can go all nutts over this and I dont want to stir a war or fight with SCS or anything I mean its her right to not tell us whats in the soaps but its also our right to do know whats insomething when your using it on the skin and everyone knows skin takes up ingredients you put on the skin.

The Arko cream doesnt have SLS or SLES but im pretty sure your not happy that it has propylene Glycol in it ? Im bearing with all this now but Im really thinking in cutting out any products that smell after SLS or SLES . even my beloved Aqua di Gio shampoo has SLS. :mad:

Nicole,
Thank you for taking the time to help us out. I have one question regarding sunscreen. Is there any kind that will not sting the eyes when you start sweating...also my eyebrows feel like fireants are biting them when I start to sweat profusely. This makes it next to impossible to keep sunscreen on when working outside.

P.S. I do wear a hat to keep as much sun off of my face as possible.

bearbeard said:
Nicole,
Thank you for taking the time to help us out. I have one question regarding sunscreen. Is there any kind that will not sting the eyes when you start sweating...also my eyebrows feel like fireants are biting them when I start to sweat profusely. This makes it next to impossible to keep sunscreen on when working outside.

P.S. I do wear a hat to keep as much sun off of my face as possible.

You're welcome. We are probably going to be switching over to Colorscience for their sunscreen: http://www.colorescience.com/1024x768/flash/index.html It's a mineral powder which should do the trick for you. Your biggest decision would be brush or roll-on. Unfortunately, the chemical sunscreen ingredients run into your eyes and cause the stinging (apart from the other nasty effects that these chemicals have on our body.) From what I understand, Organic Pharmacy makes a good product as well. You will pay more for a natural sunscreen product but you shouldn't have the stinging issue. Hope that helps.

SSLStudio said:
MY GOD ! and it is litteraly in everything ! try finding a toothpaste that has no SLS or SLES ! and I dont know if every manuf. writes everything on the label !
I think the products from SCS contain SLS or SES aswell but she doesnt write anything on her label I dont think she even has labels on her products?

Isnt there a law for these kinds of things even if they are home soap makers to still have a label on the product ? FDA ?

I think its a criminal offense to use products that harm people.. we can go all nutts over this and I dont want to stir a war or fight with SCS or anything I mean its her right to not tell us whats in the soaps but its also our right to do know whats insomething when your using it on the skin and everyone knows skin takes up ingredients you put on the skin.

The Arko cream doesnt have SLS or SLES but im pretty sure your not happy that it has propylene Glycol in it ? Im bearing with all this now but Im really thinking in cutting out any products that smell after SLS or SLES . even my beloved Aqua di Gio shampoo has SLS. :mad:

Rene,

FDA is pretty much hands off unless you ingest something as a drug or food. Most people don't realize this when shopping for this category, but it's true. You might be interested to check out www.safecosmetics.org to get some more info. I believe there is a link to the actual FDA language as it relates to cosmetics.

mrs. chefchris said:
I love it when companies say their product is "not tested on animals". So what, the company is testing it on us, the consumer? :eek:

Sad, but true. We are guinea pigs in a sense. It's a 35 billion dollar industry that's more about package than purpose. Definitely check out that website if you have a chance. You can also find some info on a bill that was passed in California which hopefully will be the first of many at the state level - with regards to disclosing ingredients linked to cancer, birth defects, etc.

Rene,

FDA is pretty much hands off unless you ingest something as a drug or food. Most people don't realize this when shopping for this category, but it's true. You might be interested to check out www.safecosmetics.org to get some more info. I believe there is a link to the actual FDA language as it relates to cosmetics.

Thanks Nicole Bookmarked the site and subscribed to Skin Deep eNews mails.

A note on benzoyl peroxide as an ingredient:

While benzoyl peroxide does effectively kill the bacteria that are known to be part of acne, one of the side effects is an increased presence of oxygen free radicals, which may affect endogenous cells and lead to accelerated skin aging. Peroxides are not strictly selective for bacteria and so they can also alter other cells. If you insist on using benzoyl peroxide, please make sure to use it sparsely and exclusively on acne-prone areas. This is part of the reason why I could never understand the interest in oxygen treatments.

cotton swab
hydrogen peroxide
½ oz. powered oatmeal
½ T. fresh lemon juice
¼ c. egg whites
3 drops honey

Directions:
1. Dab cotton swab in hydrogen peroxide and cleanse the infected area. (This will keep the infection from spreading.)

2. Mix everything else in a small bowl.

3. Cover blemish with mixture and leave on for twenty minutes.

4. Rinse with warm water.

5. Store leftovers in fridge for up to one week. Apply twice daily until pimple disappears.

A note on benzoyl peroxide as an ingredient:

While benzoyl peroxide does effectively kill the bacteria that are known to be part of acne, one of the side effects is an increased presence of oxygen free radicals, which may affect endogenous cells and lead to accelerated skin aging. Peroxides are not strictly selective for bacteria and so they can also alter other cells. If you insist on using benzoyl peroxide, please make sure to use it sparsely and exclusively on acne-prone areas. This is part of the reason why I could never understand the interest in oxygen treatments.

Nicole,

Since you don't recommend benzoyl peroxide for fighting acne what do you recommend? I have been using a 2.5% benzoyl peroxide solution for awhile and have had mixed results. My skin only cleared up recently after I went strictly to only using shaving soap. Is accutane the only way? I have tried other dermatoligist medications and nothing seems to eliminate the problem. My acne has never been really bad but it is there.

Here is my daily routine that has helped clear up my skin. Wash face in shower with cleanser. Wetshave with pre de provence soap. Then lightly rinse again with a cleanser (either baxter's or cetaphil).
Finish up with Thayer's witch hazel, add Clear Skin Regimen 2.5% benzoyl (after skin dries), wait 5 minutes then nancy boy aftershave gel/balm.

Then at night I wash my face with a cleanser, put on the benzoyl and leave. I usually don't moisturize since my skin is oily but if I do at night i'll either use cetaphil or Nancy Boy daily facial moisturizer.

It is frustrating to not have clear skin (at 23). I don't want to go on accutane but fear that I may have no other choice. Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Jack Bauer said:
Nicole,

Since you don't recommend benzoyl peroxide for fighting acne what do you recommend? I have been using a 2.5% benzoyl peroxide solution for awhile and have had mixed results. My skin only cleared up recently after I went strictly to only using shaving soap. Is accutane the only way? I have tried other dermatoligist medications and nothing seems to eliminate the problem. My acne has never been really bad but it is there.

Here is my daily routine that has helped clear up my skin. Wash face in shower with cleanser. Wetshave with pre de provence soap. Then lightly rinse again with a cleanser (either baxter's or cetaphil).
Finish up with Thayer's witch hazel, add Clear Skin Regimen 2.5% benzoyl (after skin dries), wait 5 minutes then nancy boy aftershave gel/balm.

Then at night I wash my face with a cleanser, put on the benzoyl and leave. I usually don't moisturize since my skin is oily but if I do at night i'll either use cetaphil or Nancy Boy daily facial moisturizer.

It is frustrating to not have clear skin (at 23). I don't want to go on accutane but fear that I may have no other choice. Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Chris,

I know this can be frustrating but I would really not consider Accutane as an option (IMO.) You will have to go for blood tests b/c it can affect your liver. Accutane dries you out like a prune. I know people who have dry lips and dry patches years after going off of this drug. It is also suspected that Accutane may be cause emotional disturbances which may be linked to suicidal behavior.

So let's proceed down a more pleasant path. If I'm counting correctly, it seems as though you are putting some type of soap or cleanser on your face about 4x/day. Unless you are waking up and look in the mirror and see major amounts of oil, you should limit cleaning your face to 1x/day, preferably in the evening to remove dirt, pollution, etc. Also, try changing your pillowcase every day or every other day to avoid spreading bacteria around your face. There should not be a need to lightly rinse with a cleanser after shaving. I am not a proponent of shaving with soap and would prefer that you used a non-soap based shaving cream which provided good hydration.

As far as controlling oil gland production, I prefer using "oil controlling oils" in your face wash and using a leave on product that would either have "oil controlling oils" with some type of moisturizing agent and/or a treatment with zinc which is very good at controlling oil gland production. Astringents (like witch hazel) can also be drying. If you use a cleanser which is ph balanced
to your skin, the witch hazel is an unnecessary step IMO.

I am assuming that these are the ingredients from the Nancy Boy moisturizer:

Purified water, Isopropyl palmitate, Propylene glycol, tea tree oil, Glyceryl stearate, Hybrid safflower oil, Shea butter, Cucumber hydrosol, Essential oil, Cetyl alcohol, Vitamins E, A & D, Sulfated castor oil, Lecithin, Corn oil, Diazolidinyl urea, Ceteth-24, Choleth-24, PEG-12 oleate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

I'd like to know what the essential oil is. As it stands, the tea tree oil is antibacterial (w/c is good) but I'm not seeing anything that is controlling oil production (w/c is what you want in a leave-on product.) Is it possible that you are using a moisturizer just to counter the drying effects of the Benz. Per. and all of the washing???????

Chris,

I know this can be frustrating but I would really not consider Accutane as an option (IMO.) You will have to go for blood tests b/c it can affect your liver. Accutane dries you out like a prune. I know people who have dry lips and dry patches years after going off of this drug. It is also suspected that Accutane may be cause emotional disturbances which may be linked to suicidal behavior.

So let's proceed down a more pleasant path. If I'm counting correctly, it seems as though you are putting some type of soap or cleanser on your face about 4x/day. Unless you are waking up and look in the mirror and see major amounts of oil, you should limit cleaning your face to 1x/day, preferably in the evening to remove dirt, pollution, etc. Also, try changing your pillowcase every day or every other day to avoid spreading bacteria around your face. There should not be a need to lightly rinse with a cleanser after shaving. I am not a proponent of shaving with soap and would prefer that you used a non-soap based shaving cream which provided good hydration.

As far as controlling oil gland production, I prefer using "oil controlling oils" in your face wash and using a leave on product that would either have "oil controlling oils" with some type of moisturizing agent and/or a treatment with zinc which is very good at controlling oil gland production. Astringents (like witch hazel) can also be drying. If you use a cleanser which is ph balanced
to your skin, the witch hazel is an unnecessary step IMO.

I am assuming that these are the ingredients from the Nancy Boy moisturizer:

Purified water, Isopropyl palmitate, Propylene glycol, tea tree oil, Glyceryl stearate, Hybrid safflower oil, Shea butter, Cucumber hydrosol, Essential oil, Cetyl alcohol, Vitamins E, A & D, Sulfated castor oil, Lecithin, Corn oil, Diazolidinyl urea, Ceteth-24, Choleth-24, PEG-12 oleate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

I'd like to know what the essential oil is. As it stands, the tea tree oil is antibacterial (w/c is good) but I'm not seeing anything that is controlling oil production (w/c is what you want in a leave-on product.) Is it possible that you are using a moisturizer just to counter the drying effects of the Benz. Per. and all of the washing???????

Nicole,

Thanks for all of your help. I will be following your directions with regards to the pillow case and washing my face 1x a day. I am thinking about getting some products from your page and I saw fisherc recommended the Osea Ocean Cleanser. Is this a product recommended for people with semi-oily skin or should I go the route of the mudd cleanser instead? Also would you suggest the Osea corrective complex? If I decided to get the emu oil should I get the AR creme? My acne isn't severe or moderate even but it is there and I would like to eliminate it completely if possible. I will most likely be giving you a call within the next week or so after I figure this all out.

Also, you suggested that I not use the shaving soap that I have, but I believe
it is all natural. (maybe?) I need to use a badger brush when shaving (the lather it creates helps fight against the razor burn I am prone to). Any suggestions on the shaving front?

Thanks.

Chris

Jack Bauer said:
Nicole,

Thanks for all of your help. I will be following your directions with regards to the pillow case and washing my face 1x a day. I am thinking about getting some products from your page and I saw fisherc recommended the Osea Ocean Cleanser. Is this a product recommended for people with semi-oily skin or should I go the route of the mudd cleanser instead? Also would you suggest the Osea corrective complex? If I decided to get the emu oil should I get the AR creme? My acne isn't severe or moderate even but it is there and I would like to eliminate it completely if possible. I will most likely be giving you a call within the next week or so after I figure this all out.

Also, you suggested that I not use the shaving soap that I have, but I believe
it is all natural. (maybe?) I need to use a badger brush when shaving (the lather it creates helps fight against the razor burn I am prone to). Any suggestions on the shaving front?

Thanks.

Chris

Chris,

The Osea Ocean Cleanser is for a normal to oily skin while the Mudd is for a very oily skin. The Mudd is quite active and has helped clear up to cystic acne (much worse than anything that you are experiencing.) If you aren't breaking out right now, I would suggest that you get into a good cleanser and the Corrective Complex could work as a possible moisturizer. I would hold off though on any "treatment" type product unless you are experiencing a flare up right now. One caveat though, when you are using active products, you may experience a setback at first. If you have congestion beneath your skin, this cleanser will cause it to "express itself" and you will "come clean"
before going forward. Same with the treatments. I would stick with a simple course of action first with as few products as possible. Also, you'll want to give any new product at least 30 days to truly see a difference as it takes on avg. 30 days for cells in the "basement" layer of the skin to move up to the "top floor."

I know I may sound like a broken record but lather is not required in order to protect against razor burn. Only that which physically sits right on the skin is protecting you in reality. Non-soap based creams are healthier for the skin as long as they provide good slip. Are you possibly pressing too hard with a dull blade or going over the same spot too often??

Don't remember if I ever posted this. Of course you can work a brush into the equation if you use one.

Proper shaving techniques, quality products and post-shaving skin care can help you put your best face
forward:

1) WATER, WATER, EVERYWHERE
Either shave after taking a warm shower (hot water dehydrates the skin) or apply a warm moistened towel
to your face for a few minutes. Hair swollen with water becomes weak and is easier to cut. Never shave
cold or apply shaving products to a dry face.

2) CRÈME DE LA CREAM
Massage a quality shave cream into the skin with upward motions and leave on 1-3 minutes before starting to shave. The best products will lock moisture into your whiskers and DO NOT FOAM UP! Foam is merely soap-filled water and is a waste of money since it’s only what is in contact with your skin and beard that matters. Chemicals in commercial shaving foams actually dry skin and can cause ingrown hairs. Generally, pre-shave oils are unnecessary and are sold to supplement the inadequate lubrication of most shaving products.

3) GRAINS OF WISDOM
Shave WITH the grain. This can be in different directions on your face versus neck area. Shaving against
the grain causes ingrown hairs (razor bumps) and is a great way to donate blood.

4) SKIMMING THE SURFACE
Use short strokes starting with the side burns, cheeks, and neck. Finish with upper lip and chin last since
your whiskers are heaviest in this area. Do not apply too much pressure unless you are particularly fond of
razor burn.

5) RAZOR SHARP APPROACH
Rinse the blade under hot water before you begin to shave and after every few swipes. Replace your blade somewhere between every three to seven shaves if you shave every day. Don’t wipe the blade dry as it will dull faster. A dull blade is more traumatic to the skin and will make your face feel scratchy and look blotchy. Those of you holding out for two weeks, we know who you are.

6) CLOSE ENCOUNTER
For an even closer shave, apply more shave cream and re-shave WITH the grain.

7) RUBBED THE WRONG WAY
Rinse with cool water and pat dry with a towel, NEVER RUB.

8) NON-ALCOHOLIC, PLEASE
Shaving can remove up to two layers of surface skin so you MUST use a quality after-shave
moisturizer. The best products will replace lost moisture from shaving and soothe, cool and refresh
the skin. No alcohol-laced concoctions (all pain, no gain.)

Nicole, you are absolutely awesome. Thank you so much for being around :) Do you have an entire set-up that you would reccommend, or product lines that you know of that you would reccommend?

Kyle Stoner said:
Nicole, you are absolutely awesome. Thank you so much for being around :) Do you have an entire set-up that you would reccommend, or product lines that you know of that you would reccommend?

Kyle,

Thank you very much. As far as entire set-up do you mean recommending a kit or all products from a given line?? I personally wouldn't deal with suppliers who require me to purchase their whole line in order for me to retail their products since I prefer to "cherry pick" products to get the best of what is available. In terms of recommendations, I am biased in that I will only offer "clean" products to my clients which are devoid of a lot of the nasty synthetic chemicals available at both the mass market and prestige levels. Basically, I would try to keep the regimen simple as less=more. In my opinion, a good cleanser and aftershave/moisturizer as well as sunscreen (if anti-aging is a concern,) are indispensible. I prefer Osea's cleansers and I'm currently looking into Sircuit Skin cleansers as well as A-D-E Creamy Cleanser (for dry skin) which is VERY reasonably priced. I'll send a pm so that we can address your specifics without boring everyone here :)

Top Bottom