What's new

Skincare Clinic

Joedy, In my opinion, if something is causing you pain, it should not be used. Ingredients are listed in order of predominance. So, the first ingredient listed is at the highest concentration in the product and so on. You are basically paying for the first three ingred. in a product and if one wants to be a savvy shopper for shaving/skincare products, it would behoove everyone to keep this in mind when making purchases. The first ingred. for Tend Skin is alcohol. I should hope by now that everyone knows that this is extremely dehydrating for the skin and should not be used. The salicylic works by dissolving dead skin cells. Once the dead skin is removed, the trapped ingrown hair can liberate itself. I am going to do a separate post hopefully by this weekend addressing glycolic acid and why I don't particularly like it. In general, people are using way too many products with way too many active ingredients from cleansers to scrubs to moisturizers and this is too agressive in my opinion with regards to maintaining the integrity of the skin.

Hi Nicole

What are the ingredients in this-Intelligents Formula Lev8 Aftershave Gel

You are basically paying for the first three ingred. in a product and if one wants to be a savvy shopper for shaving/skincare products,

Is this the only aftershave product you sell? can you recommend others?

Thanks

It seems from the ingredients from the cleanser that there is a particulate in it. Does it feel somewhat "grainy" when you put it on? I am not a fan of this type of cleanser (scrub) because it can cause microtears in the skin. Also, the benzoyl peroxide is also very drying for the skin. If you are very oily, I prefer a moisturizer or treatment cream with sulfer which acts to control the production of the oil glands and/or certain botanical oils which control oil gland production as well. Also, it seems that their moisturizer has soap in it??? Just my comments after a somewhat cursory review.

Jim, I apologize for the fact that the complete ingredient listings are not on the website since the ingredients (in addition to their concentration) are what really distinguishes the selection compared to other mass market as well as prestige brands. I was chosen to participate in a panel hosted by WCBS and the Wall Street Journal and so time was of the essence in getting the site live with relatively short notice and I had to forgo listing the ingredients. I am working on this somewhat arduous task and hope to have it completed shortly: Distilled water, aloe vera (D-complex), glycerin, D-alpha-tocopherol (Vitamin E), D-glucuronic, L-alpha-bisobolol, rye polyglucose, L-lactic acid, L-menthol, melaleuca (L-complex), allantoin, citric acid, sandalwood, ylang ylang, tangerine, lime, bergamot, beet/liquid crystals, blue chamomile/ liquid crystals. The ingredients are chirally correct. For an explanation of the significance of this, please read the "Chirally Correct Skincare Thread" (one caveat, it does get a bit heated.) We put this up against several "straight aloe products" and the Lev 8 was favored every time. It ices you down in minutes. Many products will list "enriched with aloe" and only include trace amounts of it in the product for example. I do offer another "aftershave gel" by Eminence Organic Skin Care which is called "Stone Crop Hydrating Gel" (I plan to have an organic section on the website in the future.) It offers intense oil-free hydration and antiaging benefits. The ingredients are as follows: Stone Crop Pulp, Stone Crop Juice, Bearberry Extract, Green Tea Extract, Glycerine (plant source), Natural Moisturizing Factor, Lavender Extract, Glycine Deriviative, Xanthan Gum, Biocomplex (Vitamins A-C-E, Coenzyme Q10, Alpha Lipoic Acid), Lavender Oil, Chlorophyl. The stone crop is similar to a cactus in that it holds tremendous amounts of water. It also has incredible regenerative powers. I use the stone crop line from Eminence in my facials for men and they love it and are crazy about the smell. I like clean, effective ingredients in sufficient quantities w/o nasty chemicals. You can also get evening primrose oil, borage oil, jojoba oil and use those as well. IMO, nothing beats the antiinflammatory properties of the Lev 8 for after shaving. If you know of something natural that can outperform it, I would love to know about it.

GentsLLC Shaving-Skincare said:
Joedy, In my opinion, if something is causing you pain, it should not be used. Ingredients are listed in order of predominance. So, the first ingredient listed is at the highest concentration in the product and so on. You are basically paying for the first three ingred. in a product and if one wants to be a savvy shopper for shaving/skincare products, it would behoove everyone to keep this in mind when making purchases. The first ingred. for Tend Skin is alcohol. I should hope by now that everyone knows that this is extremely dehydrating for the skin and should not be used. The salicylic works by dissolving dead skin cells. Once the dead skin is removed, the trapped ingrown hair can liberate itself. I am going to do a separate post hopefully by this weekend addressing glycolic acid and why I don't particularly like it. In general, people are using way too many products with way too many active ingredients from cleansers to scrubs to moisturizers and this is too agressive in my opinion with regards to maintaining the integrity of the skin.

THANKS Nicole ! for reminding me Alcohol de-hydrates the skin , I overlooked that ! I have lots of aftershave here and always wondered if im not overdoing it by using aftershave and then a/s balsem on top of it ! well obviously not because the balsem hydrates the skin back. everyone knows drinking alcohol dehydrates you and so does coffee but I would think no one here is using coffee on their face after shaving are we ? :tongue_sm

its feels I have my own private dermatologist at hand , we are lucky to have someone as knowledgeable as Nicole at here.

Hi Nicole...thanks for all of your valuable information. What do you recommend as a regimen for treating ingrown hairs? Tendskin works, but obviously at the detriment of your skin...and sure burns like hell when you use it post shave...

boboakalfb said:
Hi Nicole...thanks for all of your valuable information. What do you recommend as a regimen for treating ingrown hairs? Tendskin works, but obviously at the detriment of your skin...and sure burns like hell when you use it post shave...
Dear Bob, A bit of an Eastern approach to your question. Do you know why you are getting ingrowns? We should explore this before deciding what product to use b/c it may be a question of you changing your technique. Let me know or I can throw some possible causes your way. Nicole

Four reasons to avoid regular use of AHA's (like glycolic acid.)

1) They are not physiologically compatible since the ph is too low for normal skin. They alter skin enzymes and denature other skin proteins.

2) They cause an inflammatory reaction in the skin by inducing damage to skin cells. It is the repair process induced by this damage that provides some apparent benefit to the skin, but continued use exhausts this process in many individuals.

3) While the skin must normally exfoliate (shed dead cells,) any excess exfoliation will induce an immature population of cells on the skin surface, cells which are not prepared to defend the skin against environmental dangers.

4) There are so many safer and more effective methods to exfoliate, such as natural enzymes, gentle washcloth, seaweed, etc. that IMO the use of AHAs are not justified.

Check to see if you are using too many products with actives like cleansers and moisturizers containing glycolic acid. I have even heard of cases where people are requesting glycolic peels before a microdermabrasion treatment at the spa - a recipe for disaster including the potential for post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (spots.) I hope to do the next post on "diabetic skin."

Nicole,

What procedures and techniques do you recommend for ingrown bumps once they are already present?

-joedy

Dear Bob, A bit of an Eastern approach to your question. Do you know why you are getting ingrowns? We should explore this before deciding what product to use b/c it may be a question of you changing your technique. Let me know or I can throw some possible causes your way. Nicole
Not sure why...I use to have a huge problem but since switching to wet shaving I have eliminated most of them. I still get them from time to time on my neck though. I have curly hair which contributes to the problem. I don't go against the grain on my neck...just with and across...

Joedy/Bob, If an ingrown hair exists, do not pick at it or tweeze it. This can result in possible scarring and/or damage to the hair follicle. You want to make sure to moisturize the area where you have the ingrown(s) preferably three times a day. A soft hair is easier to liberate. I recommend a product (w/c I haven't uploaded to the website yet,) called Lerosett. It's a clay and water mixture from Sweden, only two ingredients. It does a very good job of removing the dead skin to allow the hair to come out (it's not an overnite fix) and once it does, you want to shave it off (not pluck it) in the normal course of grooming. Exfoliating once a week helps (not in connection w/shaving though,) change your blade more often, use fewer blades if using a multi-blade razor, and make sure you are softening the hairs enough before shaving (preferably shaving after the shower) and try to leave the cream on longer before beginning to shave (3 mins.)

Four reasons to avoid regular use of AHA's (like glycolic acid.)

1) They are not physiologically compatible since the ph is too low for normal skin. They alter skin enzymes and denature other skin proteins.

2) They cause an inflammatory reaction in the skin by inducing damage to skin cells. It is the repair process induced by this damage that provides some apparent benefit to the skin, but continued use exhausts this process in many individuals.

3) While the skin must normally exfoliate (shed dead cells,) any excess exfoliation will induce an immature population of cells on the skin surface, cells which are not prepared to defend the skin against environmental dangers.

4) There are so many safer and more effective methods to exfoliate, such as natural enzymes, gentle washcloth, seaweed, etc. that IMO the use of AHAs are not justified.

Check to see if you are using too many products with actives like cleansers and moisturizers containing glycolic acid. I have even heard of cases where people are requesting glycolic peels before a microdermabrasion treatment at the spa - a recipe for disaster including the potential for post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (spots.) I hope to do the next post on "diabetic skin."

To me it all sounds like WHAT !!!! if Glycolic Acid hurts the skin no ! damages the skin why was it invented in the first place ? and is it being marketed on Ebay as the next best thing like the same stuff beauty parlors use .

Well I guess its just one of those things you really have to investigate deep into just like people who think eating cereals is healthy , or Soja milk. they are both doomed. or White sugar for that matter it will slowly kill you aswell.

Is the Clear and Smooth by Carley as well? I can't find a website for the company and so I'm unable to find the ingredients. Is it possible to direct me to a place to find the ingredients or for you to post them in the order in which they are listed on the labels?

Ingredients Carley's Clear and Smooth Skin treatment

benzoyl peroxide (active) 2% , additional ingred: purified water [natural soap solution saponified oils coconut,olive, soybean,cottonsee,sodium hydroxide,walnut shell powder,shea butter,vegetable glycerin,propylene glycol,apricot kernal oil, vegetable stearic acid,cetyl alcohol,aloe vera,corn meal ,mango butter, emulsifyning wax nf,hemp oil (no thc),macadamia nut oil,xanthan gum,triethanolamine (for ph balance),evening primrose oil,sambucus nigra extract (elder flower),chamomile powder,sodium citrate,citric acid.

No artificial fragrances ,we use only natural EO . a list of them which I think is irrelevant for you Nicole ?

Preservatives : we use a non-paraben bactericide &fungicide :Germall Plus [two ingredietns are diazolidinyl urea,iodopropynyl butylcarbamate (IPDC) & grapefruit seed extract (GSE)

Does that help you Nicole ? basically I need a good regiment for my face , a good wash,toner.moisturiser im almost running out on CArley's so I might be in the need for new products to test. basically I want something that fights off
Acne, im not a severe case if I was id get something from a Doctor its just sometimes I get an outbreak.

Rene - Unfortunately, we live in a quick fix society. People run in for "lunchtime peels" w/o thinking about the consequences. The French are known for skincare and trust me, they are not fond of acids or agressive exfoliation. If you went in for a facial, you wouldn't see an arsenal of machinery. They're not sandblasting aluminum crystals onto their skin (microdermabrasion) and you would even be hard pressed to sell a high foam cleanser there as people have an awareness about maintaining the skins barrier function. I'm with you on the soy milk- it's much better to consume things in their natural form.

When are we going to get to the diabetic skincare subject? I'm trying to be oh so patient!!! :biggrin:

Also I can't find any haircare products that don't :mad3: contain alcohol or other big scary sounding chemicals. Any thoughts? Anyone?

Rene, I prefer not to use benzoyl peroxide as it can be very drying. Also, there are some questionable ingredients like the propylene glycol and urea. You can certainly read up online and bear in mind that any info referencing the Ingredient Review Board should be taken with a grain of salt as they are funded by the cosmetic giants. Also, if you feel any rough particulate in the cleanser, this would not be the best thing to use as it can cause microtears in the skin (wondering about the walnut shell powder and how fine that is.) You have to determine your own tolerance level for chemicals in a product. I prefer cleansers with seaweed and essential oils and cleansers which are ph balanced to the skin so that you can save your money and time by avoiding an extra step and so a toner wouldn't be necessary. If the breakouts are frequent, I would opt for some type of "treatment" product which contains sulfur as it regulates oil gland production. A good moisturizer for you would give you hydration with oil controlling oils.

mrs. chefchris said:
When are we going to get to the diabetic skincare subject? I'm trying to be oh so patient!!! :biggrin:

Also I can't find any haircare products that don't :mad3: contain alcohol or other big scary sounding chemicals. Any thoughts? Anyone?

Avalon Organics carries a very good line of hair products, in addition to other things. No harsh chemicals, SLS, parabens, propelyne glycol in them.

edit -

here's the shampoo i have, it works great:
http://www.avalonorganics.com/?id=88&pid=203

Rene, I prefer not to use benzoyl peroxide as it can be very drying. Also, there are some questionable ingredients like the propylene glycol and urea. You can certainly read up online and bear in mind that any info referencing the Ingredient Review Board should be taken with a grain of salt as they are funded by the cosmetic giants. Also, if you feel any rough particulate in the cleanser, this would not be the best thing to use as it can cause microtears in the skin (wondering about the walnut shell powder and how fine that is.) You have to determine your own tolerance level for chemicals in a product. I prefer cleansers with seaweed and essential oils and cleansers which are ph balanced to the skin so that you can save your money and time by avoiding an extra step and so a toner wouldn't be necessary. If the breakouts are frequent, I would opt for some type of "treatment" product which contains sulfur as it regulates oil gland production. A good moisturizer for you would give you hydration with oil controlling oils.

Thanks,

Yes it has some harsh grainlike sandpaper like feeling on the face but thats why I also GENTLY rub it over the face and dont go to town with it and also use just a tiny bit of it.
Moisturising well I am very impressed by Thayers Witch hazels Lavender product have a 12oz bottle here decanted to spray on my face after everyshave or whenever my face needs a pick me upper.

Diabetes can affect every organ of the body, especially the body's largest one-the skin. As far as facials are concerned, diabetics generally benefit from facials designed for sensitive skin. Any facial treatment that improves the circulation, texture, hydrates and incorporates lymphatic drainage will encourage cellular turnover and repair. Try to drink plenty of water and avoid extreme temperatures when bathing the body and washing the face. Use caution if waxing any areas of the body since bruising is a common side effect in diabetics, who heal slowly due in part to the thinness of the skin. Since there is a lack of proper circulation and blood flow, there is generally an accumulation of dead or hardened skin cells. Insulin resistance affects the hair follicles as well, so diabetic's skin sporadically may be hairless. Gentle enzyme peels often help to remove excess dead skin cells (just make sure if using on the body to keep away from the injection site to avoid irritation) and I would caution the use of acid products due to the diabetic's photosensitivity and reactive and sensitive skin. Sunscreen should be used daily. To improve circulation, diabetic skin will benefit from stimulating ingredients like algae extracts, menthol and eucalyptus which increase blood flow by dilating the blood vessels just under the skin. Algae will also help to moisturize the skin in order to maintain the lipid barrier. This is extremely impt for diabetics since they are prone to skin infections due to severely dry and often cracked skin. Healing agents such as chamomile extract are good to use as well. Obviously, diet, exercise and medication are important. However, in order to prevent skin complications, it is crucial to maintain the skin's natural moisture barrier and healing function. This can be accomplished with dedicated care, using products containing a higher percentage of key ingredients to be effective for this specific skin condition.

Top Bottom