What's new

Sizing/compressing cell phone images for use online

This is a simple explanation about how to post photos taken on a cell phone in this forum. It is not a tutorial on how to use an app but more of a what to do in order to get proper sized and compressed images.

Most modern cell phones take very large images of 2500 x 1400 pixels in physical size and over 1 megabyte in file size at their SMALLEST size settings. Many phones default to double or larger of this setting.

Size of a digital photo is expressed in both physical size (pixels wide by pixels tall) and file size (kilo or mega bytes in file size). The smaller the numbers the smaller the photo. Your large default phone images are good for making print/paper reproductions of 8x10 and larger sizes on paper but impossibly large for display on the web within a forum, especially when there may be 20 or more posts with large images in each of them trying to display.

As an example, the two screenshot images in this post are 250 pixes wide and have a file size of only 11k (11,000 bytes).

By default, your modern cell phone does not have the tools built in that you can use to change these large settings down to a web usable picture size.

You will require an add on photo editing app in order to properly size, crop, and compress phone photos so that they are usable online.

As of this writing, Snapseed is considered one of the most popular for Android and Apple phones. It has all of the tools you will need for simple image manipulation (crop, resize, and compress). AND it is FREE and simple to use. Should you use a different photo editing app on your phone use google to find out where these settings are located. If the app you are using does not allow you to resize/compress for the web, consider using another app.

Once the SnapSeed app is installed and running, click the settings icon
settings.gif
Set the default save settings to 800 px wide and 80% jpg compression.

SS-img-size.gif
SS-img-compress.gif

This will give you an image that is physically sized to display full page wide on the forum post. The image will be compressed to a file size of between 50-75 kilo-bytes so that it loads quickly but is still sharp and useful to forum members.

You should always crop your images if they show more than you need. In the tools section you will find several crop options.

The proper image editing order is
1) crop.
2) resize.
3) compress & save.

Saving your edited photo as a copy will keep your original image at the default large size.

This is basic information that should help you post better quality photos online

If you have questions about any of this information, do not hesitate to ask in this thread for help.

Last edited:
I use Snapseed as well for processing photos taken with my ipod but export the full size image to my computer. Haven't tried Snapseed's resizing, thanks Mick hadn't even come across it yet within Snapseed.

To resize on the computer i've been using another free software, Irfanview. For a square image and with my monitor i've found 600 pixels tall, gives me an image that can be seen on the forum without having to scroll. An image 400 pixels wide allows for two images side by side, can probably take that a bit higher maybe 425-450 pixels will still fit two but haven't played around any more.

dave

Interview is a nice piece of free kit

I've been a Photoshop beta tester from version 4 up until Adobe bought Macromedia. I still use Photoshop but I'm not all that involved any more

With this post I'm just trying to impart very basic info.

Users can custom size and compress but setting defaults makes it very simple.

Even though I store a gazillion images in their digital form on the web, there is something about having an old school flip-through album of pics to document periods of time. Something has put the bug back in me to do that after years of hiatus.

Probably due to posting here at the Darkroom!

Does Snapseed support removing EXIF data, at least the location info? I could not find that option in the settings or tools section of the App. Otherwise it looks like a nice tool.

Does Snapseed support removing EXIF data, at least the location info? I could not find that option in the settings or tools section of the App. Otherwise it looks like a nice tool.

I shoot with that disabled.

Look in your camera settings. You should find it in there.

I like to leave the Camera App settings to include location, etc as it can be useful later.

I did find an Android app called Photo Editor (by dev.macgyver) that will remove EXIF when saving. However the user interface is not nearly as nice as Snapseed. For instance when saving the edited photo it presents six options on where to store the file. Selecting the first one gave the desired result. It also has a batch mode but I did not look into it.

Top Bottom