What's new

Size 15 Shoe Suggestions

A little history and a request for assistance from my fellow gentlemen here with better taste than myself -

The past 12 years or so I've been able to get by with Army boots or some form/fashion of boots. Two years ago upon separating from the Army I moved into a position where my employer bought me work boots, so I took the liberty of getting some Red Wing boots for the first time. These were exceptional boots, but I have very large feet (size 15 mens, E/EE), and just about all of the nicer styles they have in the store do not fit me. This was not a problem when my position did not require a more professional/fashionable presentation, however, I have since been moved into the downtown corporate setting and find myself struggling with my attire. Recently, I was pulled aside and informed that things are going exceptionally well for me and that I will be looking at some nice perks and promotions coming my way, however, it's time I start looking the senior/managerial part. I already revamped my wardrobe and that department is coming along nicely, but the shoes are killing me.

So far, I have been balancing cost and value and have shopped mostly at Nordstrom Rack for my shoes. I've now torn through three different pairs of shoes, all seemingly well made, but I tend to just be rough I guess and am a big guy, so I put some strain on these shoes. I tried rotating, then gave that up as the first two pairs broke around the same time, this last pair has lasted me for a while now but is starting to show signs of wear. The seam between the leather near the heels and the sole of the shoe just seem to disintegrate on all of them, regardless of brand.

I don't know if it's the shoes or me, as I also tend to destroy my socks. Ergo, I continue to shop at Nordstrom Rack since the cost is not too bad, but find myself lacking in selection and I am not satisfied with this.

I know I am not the only big guy who needs nice shoes, so I am wondering if anybody out there in a similar situation with larger feet can recommend to me brands/styles available that they have had success with. Also, I'm looking at better quality construction vs the mass produced glued shoes that are sold at the rack.

As far as styles go - I have always been an oxford type when I dress up, partially due to them being the uniform requirement, however, I am not against trying out chukkas or maybe some slip on six inch boots. Really what I'm trying to get at is lasting quality, particularly where in the event that I did have to go somewhere to repair the shoe, the money to fix the shoe at one of the local shoe hospitals would actually be worth it.

When I do searches online for size 15 shoes, I either get work shoes or I get ugly thick loafer style oxfords with sneaker lasts. These cannot be my only options. Here's hoping that someone in this community can share some wisdom and guidance. Many thanks in advance.

You can find some great deals at Nordstrom Rack, however there's also a lot of "deals" on relatively poorly built designer shoes. Sounds like you've been buying shoes with glued construction. Have you taken them to a shoe repair shop to see what they say? Are you familiar with shoe construction and what to look for in quality footwear? Different kinds of welts, leather, and whatnot?

A quick look at Allen Edmond's website shows that they sell shoes in a lot of their flagship styles in sizes up to US 16. It probably wouldn't hurt to call a sales rep and ask about custom widths or other made to order shoes. Houston has at least one, and probably more boot and shoe makers. This will be expensive but worth it if you maintain the shoes.

That's the other part, if you're buying quality footwear, you have to maintain it. Condition, shine, polish, use shoe trees, attempt to keep them dry, etc. Don't just use Kiwi wax polish and think that's enough. The real key is keeping stuff moisturized/conditioned, which wax polish doesn't do.

A quick look at Allen Edmond's website shows that they sell shoes in a lot of their flagship styles in sizes up to US 16. It probably wouldn't hurt to call a sales rep and ask about custom widths or other made to order shoes. Houston has at least one, and probably more boot and shoe makers. This will be expensive but worth it if you maintain the shoes.
That's exactly the kind of thing I was thinking. If you're a bigger guy than average, you're going to put more pressure on shoes, and the difference between good shoes and cheap shoes will surely be more pronounced - good ones will cost a lot, but they'll last so much longer than cheap ones it should be a good investment in the long run.

So I'd say get two pairs of shoes from a good maker (Allen Edmonds isn't so big here in the UK, but their shoes are clearly excellent), and alternate them so you don't wear the same pair on consecutive days and thus allow them to dry/air properly between wears - two pairs worn that way really do last longer than wearing one pair until it's finished and only then buying another. And that will be especially true if you do this...

That's the other part, if you're buying quality footwear, you have to maintain it. Condition, shine, polish, use shoe trees, attempt to keep them dry, etc. Don't just use Kiwi wax polish and think that's enough. The real key is keeping stuff moisturized/conditioned, which wax polish doesn't do.

All of that is absolutely right. Wax polish is fine for the shine, but a good clean and a treatment with a good conditioner once in a while will keep the oils in the leather and it will last a lot longer.

Oh, and finally...

Recently, I was pulled aside and informed that things are going exceptionally well for me and that I will be looking at some nice perks and promotions coming my way...
That's great to hear, many congrats! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the feedback, I have seen many shoe repair places but alas have never gone inside them thinking only expensive shoes got worked on. I will certainly need to find an Allen Edmonds and get cracking on the process. I have probably spent enough on poor quality designer brands to buy at least one nice shoe. Thankfully my wife is happy I'm finally taking more care of myself and is supportive, she let me get my ATT 7 piece so I'd shave daily, and blessed off on the clothes so I had more just than basketball shorts and T-shirts to wear when not at work. Hopefully these shoes will be the same!

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
. I have probably spent enough on poor quality designer brands to buy at least one nice shoe.

For years I bought cheap boots wishing I could buy some Red Wings. Well, last year I finally pulled the trigger, and cannot believe the difference. A good shoe is going to cost you more up front, but will pay off in the long run.

Thank you all for the advice. I went to a local Allen Edmonds and tried on some shoes, many styles were not carried in my size, but I finally got to try a size 15 and found it quite tight around the arch and sides of my feet with a lot of wiggle room in the toes.

I decided to try a 14EEE and was pleased with the fit. I decided not to buy in store as the selection was not to my liking, but immediately went online and got the Long Branch Wingtips in Golden Brown/Chromexcel, and since I was at it, I got some black Strandmok Cap Toe Oxfords. Along with these, I added two sets of shoe trees! My first step towards nice civilian quality shoes!

I'm excited, the website says it'll take 4 weeks to make them, I can't wait!

Top Bottom