What's new

SIXTH ANNUAL "One Blade in February" Challenge

UK Wilkinson Light Brigade (42). Yes, it is the Energizer bunny.
proxy.php

Derby (63)

I'll be on a cruise for the next three weeks with nonexistent to spotty web connectivity. I shall endeavor to post, however reticence will probably be the rule.

UK Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade (50).
I have been doing my best to kill this blade by using it with my R41 and ATT H2 and other super-aggressive razors. Recently, I thought that I had succeeded, but now I'm not so sure. I compared it to a fresh Wilkie and found the performance to be effectively identical. Back to work ...

I have been doing my best to kill this blade by using it with my R41 and ATT H2 and other super-aggressive razors. Recently, I thought that I had succeeded, but now I'm not so sure. I compared it to a fresh Wilkie and found the performance to be effectively identical. Back to work ...

Haha, they really made it with Unobtainium, didn't they?

Good luck Doc.

UK Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade (50).
This is the very odd thing about this blade.

Listen to it and it will teach you a few things about shaving! :thumbup1:

Listen to it and it will teach you a few things about shaving! :thumbup1:

... that is for sure!:biggrin1:

Update: I am declaring victory after 52 shaves on my Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade (aka The Blade). The first 28 shaves (in February) were all with a Barbasol floating head razor, which is somewhat aggressive but very forgiving. IOW, the barbie is not a blade-killer. If I had continued with that razor, I have no doubt whatsoever that The Blade could have made it well past 100 shaves.
However, for the next 24 shaves, I used mostly hyper-aggressive razors such as the R41. What I noticed is interesting (perhaps only to me): The Blade eventually started to show some minor roughness, but only with aggressive steep-angle razors. Even after 52 shaves (including roughly 20 blade-killers), The Blade is performing magnificently in mild and medium razors. What is more, its shaving effectiveness in the steep-angle razors remains flawless (i.e., identical to a fresh blade). But, there is no question that it became slightly-but-noticeably rougher towards the end in the super-aggressive razors.

I have no desire to use any blade for 100+ shaves, but I could not toss this valiant soldier until it showed at least the tiniest sign of deterioration. So, I subjected it to the most abusive treatment I could devise. Even then, it survived another 24 (3.5 pass) shaves and could clearly continue on for dozens more in mild/medium razors.

Next February, I will not use a Wilkinson blade ...

Last edited:
... I have no desire to use any blade for 100+ shaves, but I could not toss this valiant soldier until it showed at least the tiniest sign of deterioration. So, I subjected it to the most abusive treatment I could devise. Even then, it survived another 24 (3.5 pass) shaves and could clearly continue on for dozens more in mild/medium razors.

Next February, I will not use a Wilkinson blade ...
I know the feeling about loading one of these Wilkies again!

Congrats on a magnificent journey into shaving knowledge.

$IMG_1259-2.JPG

Derby (100). That's it for me.

Nice to reach the "century mark." (I only got 83 "Derby shaves" last year.)

If I'm still around next year, I'll try harder.

Last edited:
Top Bottom