What's new

SIXTH ANNUAL "One Blade in February" Challenge

I used the Captain for the 15th and last time today. So at least this year I was one of the fools trying this challenge for real but to be honest I cheated by using less passes per shave as the total number of passes from this blade remained about the same. Time to finally try out my Treet black beauty donated by Galaktus for my next shave!

Hi,

Ok. Today, I removed and (carefully) cleaned up the P74 and wrapped it in the wrapper from a new Med Prep and put it away. For next February. Next year it will start at Shave 31.

In contrast, the fresh new current-production Personna blade operated with little difference from the P74, save in one respect: I did not need that touch-up along the jawline which the P74 needed in the last week.

I think the P74 can go another two weeks, and we will find that out next year. ;)

Stan - The Madman

Hi,

Ok. Today, I removed and (carefully) cleaned up the P74 and wrapped it in the wrapper from a new Med Prep and put it away. For next February. Next year it will start at Shave 31.

Stan - The Madman

proxy.php

Neat to see how far people are taking these blades. I made it through 3 weeks of the month and 10 shaves on my GEM SS PTFE before I switched back to a DE. The blade was still going strong; I just got bored of using an SE razor and wanted to use my ATT slant again. Maybe, I'll save the blade to continue with it next year.........no..wait..what was I thinking..I haven't completely lost it like that Madman Stan up there :laugh:

I'm up to 31 shaves on the Wilkinson Light Brigade. I'm now actively trying to kill the blade. Today I used a Leresche 77, which is a very aggressive razor. Tomorrow, I have already loaded up my R41. We'll see how long The Blade can stand up to this punishment ...

UK Wilkinson LB (34). Today's shave was with my ATT H2. My routine involves 3 full passes plus a touch-up pass. I'm getting a little frustrated. How can this blade still perform so well after 34 shaves (4 of which were using the steep angle technique)?
I know Mick and Bosse have both gotten more than 100 shaves from vintage Wilkinson blades. Given how I'm using it, I'm pretty sure this one will not make it even half that long ...

I'm currently at 26 shaves with the Gillette 7 O'Clock Black blade. Shaved with it yesterday and got a BBS shave - so smooth, my face doesn't even feel like I shaved. This blade just gets better and better. I'd started a new Astra SP blade in the Muhle R41 at the beginning of March and it felt so harsh compared to this blade.

How can this blade still perform so well after 34 shaves (4 of which were using the steep angle technique)? ...
There are things that we will never understand... :thumbup1:

At 124 shaves and counting this blade continues to amaze and teach me about my shaving.

English Wilkinson Sword, Super Sword Edge, shave 58.

Will February ever end?

Same routine, 3 passes to get BBS on the face and darn close on the neck. No irritation, no nicks or cuts. Smooth as can be and showing no signs of letting up.

As usual, the last man standing - Steve in Shalimar.

Way to go! :thumbup1:

Keep in mind, I'm only doing one-pass shaves, so there's an "apples and oranges" issue there. Also, I'm content with socially acceptable shaves--not BBS by any means toward the end. My beard is probably a bit on the "light" side compared to some guys.

The "One Blade in February Challenge" is a lot of fun every year. All the participants are "the winners," and I salute them! It's fun and instructive toward good technique to push the blade to it's limit.

Top Bottom