What's new

Single pass ATG

I always had the feeling that when doing a 3-pass shave the stubble had been reduced too much that when going against not 'enough' hair was left to grab for the blade. I acquired a 37C last friday and had the most wonderful 2-pass shave (WTG + ATG= 100% BBS), and yesterday tried a 1-pass shave ATG. The result was much closer (almost BBS) and comfortable than all my previous shaves on a 24 hour growth.

Any of you use this method?

will be trying it tonight. i usually shave every other day, WTG, ATG and touch up, but have gone for a mild blade in a mild razor and am going to attempt just ATG +touch up each day. ill let you know what i think.

I started AGT today and continued with a couple mixed AGT/XTG touchups. The growth since yesterday was somewhat light, so there was no need for the beard reduction of WTG. Perfect BBS has been nearly impossible to achieve in the hard-to-reach areas but I am about as close this morning as I have ever been.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I tried ATG only and I didn't get a very good result so I went back to my 2 pass WTG / ATG shave. Apparently there's something to this "beard reduction" thing for me.

I tried it. Multiple times. My results always sucked. It may be because my hair goes in all directions, and there is no such thing as a true "ATG pass" on my face.

I very very seldom even do against the grain at all, but the next time I do for when I need that good shave, I may just go for the single pass this way?

I very very seldom even do against the grain at all, but the next time I do for when I need that good shave, I may just go for the single pass this way?

I do feel the slant is much more efficient and comfortable against the grain. I worked a lot on my technique to the point where I could go against ATG with the R41 and no extensive prep. But the single pass ATG on 24 hour growth was always tricky with the R41 and the R89 was way too mild to give me a close shave. I guess the 37C is ideal for my style of shaving, truly amazed by this little razor.

Heb je de 'slant' al een kans gegeven?

I always had the feeling that when doing a 3-pass shave the stubble had been reduced too much that when going against not 'enough' hair was left to grab for the blade. I acquired a 37C last friday and had the most wonderful 2-pass shave (WTG + ATG= 100% BBS), and yesterday tried a 1-pass shave ATG. The result was much closer (almost BBS) and comfortable than all my previous shaves on a 24 hour growth.

Any of you use this method?

That is how I started shaving many years ago. But I don't think it agreed with my stubble anymore as soon I got in my twenties.

That is how I started shaving many years ago. But I don't think it agreed with my stubble anymore as soon I got in my twenties.

At 23 my beard is reasonably filled out and hair is like copper wire, I just feel that ATG works better for me with a bit of length. The slant does everything I expect from a safety razor and although my skin can tolerate a lot, the straight bar razors always gave me a tiny bit of discomfort when doing touch-ups. I'm converted I guess, what a razor that 37C is..

At 23 my beard is reasonably filled out and hair is like copper wire, I just feel that ATG works better for me with a bit of length.

Just wait till you're nearing 53 :wink2:

As with everything on the site ... if it works for you, then it's probably a good way of doing for you!

I did a one-pass ATG on my face and cross XTG/ATG on my neck with an R41 recently. Good results, but a bit tough on my chin and upper lip.

I can generally do a single pass S-N which is wtg on my neck and atg on my face (with a couple touch ups) Gets me sas on neck and dfs on face. This is my typical weekly routine.

Last edited:
tried one pass ATG last night and juuuuust about got away with it after just one days growth. neck still a little tender even with mild razor and astra blade. ill maybe try one pass WTG plus touch ups tonight, save the ATG for when my neck feels it can take it.

aaaand another tonight. read a bit about cold shaves so tried that tonight. felt ok actually, and i even went for the second pass ATG, no burn. ill try this for a few days now, but just want to make sure im doing a cold shave right.

im guessing you still need hot water to open pres, so still hot flannel on the face, then its brush soaked in cold water, lather made with cold water, and shave with cold water. the only thing i wasnt sure of was the rinse between passes. cold water would close pores, hot water open them? so which do i do between passes?

Top Bottom