What's new

Single Edge vs. Double Edge

I am a little late to this party but I agree with everything said. I have the difficult combination of a grisly, gray beard beard and sensitive skin. As much as I loved the quality of the shave from my DE razors, my skin was chronically irritated if I did anything more than a one pass WTG shave. To my surprise, the irritation disappeared when I tried a GEM razor 1 year ago. I have since switched entirely to SE razors. I own an ATT SE1, Blackland Sabre L2 and a treasure trove of vintage GEM razors. My favorite is the Sabre L2 but they are all superior to the best DE razor (and that includes a wide variety of vintage and modern stainless razors). I am convinced that the rigid SE blade is the key to a better shave. The Artists Club blade is modern sexy and the GEM blade is ugly industrial, but they both give a great shave. Despite its humble look, I think that the GEM blade is the very best of the bunch.

Good Luck

I am a little late to this party but I agree with everything said. I have the difficult combination of a grisly, gray beard beard and sensitive skin. As much as I loved the quality of the shave from my DE razors, my skin was chronically irritated if I did anything more than a one pass WTG shave. To my surprise, the irritation disappeared when I tried a GEM razor 1 year ago. I have since switched entirely to SE razors. I own an ATT SE1, Blackland Sabre L2 and a treasure trove of vintage GEM razors. My favorite is the Sabre L2 but they are all superior to the best DE razor (and that includes a wide variety of vintage and modern stainless razors). I am convinced that the rigid SE blade is the key to a better shave. The Artists Club blade is modern sexy and the GEM blade is ugly industrial, but they both give a great shave. Despite its humble look, I think that the GEM blade is the very best of the bunch.

Good Luck
Rodmonster, I couldn't agree more. I started shaving with a DE back in the early 60's and went through the gamut of cartridges up until the 4 & 5 blade monsters arrived. I went to electrics at the turn of century because of irritation. In 2014 I returned to the DE but still had irritation. Then I remembered my dad always shaved with an Injector, I switched to an early E-2. It was much better and I had a lot less irritation. Then I discovered the Japanese Twin II injector blade. That blade in either the N-1 or ebarbershop O type clone combination has completely eliminated the irritation and given me remarkably excellent shaves. I will admit the blades are a little pricey, but, considering I have a coarse 74 year-old beard, I get 65-70+ shaves per blade not too expensive to use.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
If you're using those blades to scrape anything, you're using the wrong blades.
proxy.php

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Like I said, wrong blade, just because it will fit doesn't mean it's right. Try sticking your tongue in a light socket, it will fit, but the results will be unpleasant.
this was the blade I am commenting on

full

I have a fairly good sized collection of both vintage and modern Razors in all types of formats. DE, AC, Gem and injector and I have to honestly say i have gotten equally great shaves with some Razors from all formats again both modern and vintage. A very simple example would be:
DE - Paradigm 17-4 . Very smooth and very efficient.
AC - ATT SE1 - smooth and efficient
Gem - Blackland Sabre L2 - smooth and efficient
Injector- Schick M Type Adjustable- smooth and efficient

So at the end of the day same thing applies to all the SE Razors as it does DE Razors. The right razor using the right blade will give you a great shave and just as nice shaving experience.

I will say that as far as blade longevity I’d have to give that to the injectors but price per shave if that matters to you can vary depending on what you buy and how many you buy. My personal rotation is very mixed with all of the mentioned formats and in both modern and vintage Razors.

I truly enjoy the diversity of shaving with them all.

Hope that helps!

Of all the DE razors I own, and I own far too many, only 3 or 4 equal the shave quality of most of my SE razors, of which I also own far too many.

Of all the DE razors I own, and I own far too many, only 3 or 4 equal the shave quality of most of my SE razors, of which I also own far too many.

+1 That's the best answer to the question so far! A good SE with a GEM stainless blade will trump most DE razors even on a bad day.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've got a couple of vintage hollow ground SE for refurb, but I'm not going to bother exploring the modern SE systems. The reasons are that I already get great shaves with DE, and DE blades are cheaper and more freely available. There's simply no incentive to me to try them. YMMV

Those of you that own the Blackland, do you prefer it to your AC razors (especially ATT SE1 and The General)?

I started collecting only vintage Gillettes, then got into GEM type SEs because I started having dry spells when out antiquing - the only Gillettes I would find were in bad shape, or I already had that one. It didn't take me long to get excited about SEs, even though my first SE was a MMOC. Last summer, after building up a small collection of Micromatics and 1912 types, I acquired an Ever-Ready 1924, and it was like shaving heaven! That's the smoothest, most comfortable SE I now own, with my GEM Damaskeene right behind it.

For some reason, I still prefer to shave with my Gillettes, but I do love my SEs. I have quite a few Shicks, but I haven't fallend in love with them, yet.

Those of you that own the Blackland, do you prefer it to your AC razors (especially ATT SE1 and The General)?

I prefer the L2 to the SE1 but the margin is small. The L2 smoother and maybe a touch less aggressive than the SE1. The L2 is spot on for me. Both are wonderful shavers and good enough to rid me of my RAD. I have never tried the General.

My limited collection of SE razors includes 4 GEM's and an aluminum Colonial General. I prefer the General largely because I prefer the Artist Club style blade over the GEM style.

My rotation this year has the GEM razors sitting on the sidelines. In play I have the General, a Timeless .95 SB, and a Feather AS D2. The General is more than holding its own against the much more expensive DE razors.

@MntnMan62 I was a long-time DE user who was tempted by SE razors. I have to say honestly that GEM shaves were not for me, as I could never get as smooth and comfortable a shave as with my DEs.

However, I discovered that the Asylum RX SE with an AC blade gives me the finest shave ever, day after day. It should, for the price, and I will likely never switch back to DE on a regular basis.

My $0.02. I used DEs exclusively for about 8 years. Then, last July, I bought a MMOC at an antique store. I used it "like a straight razor," i.e., at a very shallow angle and with a bit of skin stretching. Mind blown.

That led to the acquisition of several other SE razors, all of which shave pretty nicely IF (and this is a big IF) you use them in like fashion (shallow angle, light touch, "like a straight.")

I also got an aluminum General and a pack of Schick Prolines, and got good shaves with it, although it really isn't much fun to shave with it.

Here's where it gets interesting/scary.....because I enjoyed the MMOC the most, which was the most aggressive of the razors, and also because I liked the AC blades, I decided why not try the Feather SS kamisori razor, which is an open blade razor (shavette, or straight-like razor). It takes the Proline blade. No guard, so you have to use it almost exactly the way one uses a straight razor. I like this, too. More difficult, but a smooth shaver.

Now, I have a straight razor and a strop on their way to my house in the mail. And the MMOC is to blame.

This is my cautionary tale. Don't try an MMOC and use it properly, lest you be dragged into the straight razor rabbit hole.

Top Bottom