What's new

Single blade cartridge razor

In another thread

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=223996#post223996

I asked what cartridge razor was best to use when air travel made the use of a DE razor impossible.

I expressed the concern that having (re)learned the skills of DE shaving a multi-blade razor might not sit well on the beard.

I was offered the view that the two blade Sensor should be chosen even in preference to the Mach 3. I guess this is because the Sensor heads are fixed and because the tug and tear principle is less dominant with two blades.

Now having rehearsed the history I raise a new question. Would not a single blade quality cartridge razor be the legitimate descendent of the injector razor?

The injector razor was designed in the age of metal only products, but the advent of good plastics changes everything. A metal cartridge was used to insert a metal blade into a metal handle, but with excellent industrial processes that use plastics the sensible route is to put the blade is a plastic disposable case.

So the replica injector razor is an a poor design by the standards of modern production engineering. If another style of single blade razor is needed alongside the DE razor it should be a high quality single blade cartridge razor that mimics the geometry of the Schick but avoids the complexities of the old metal technology injector.

Is there such a product? I there any likelihood of such a product being marketed? A high quality single blade cartridge could be produced tomorrow to click into an existing handle.

You know, I have thought this myself, and I have even bought some single-edge razors. However, the only ones I could find were the disposable kinds, like from Bic, or the equivalent Target brand ($1.99 for a dozen.) Those are just plain aweful. I personally always liked the pivoting head of a Mach3. That feature makes it a lot easier, IMO, to maintain a proper blade angle. Like you, I was wondering if one couldn't make a high-quality, heavy razor that has a single edge. I guess it's all about marketing and profits. "Five blades" sounds a lot better than "single-blade." You could get the two-blade cartridges and get one of those nice and heavy handles. That might do it. Or you could snap some Feather blades in half and shove them into a Schick injector. I think I'll be giving that a try. Best - MM

Or the big manufactures could show some honesty and say that even though multy blade shaving offers a fast, easy and effective solution for most, for a minority it can make for problems like ingrowing hairs. They could then make a big splash about the perfect solution for those men.

I think if companies themselves started to draw attention to the fact that multi-blade systems can cause ingrown hairs, tens of millions of people will suddenly realize that they have exactly that problem. Sales would shift to single-blade systems where the profit margins are much smaller. It's in the best interest for these companies to be very quiet about their systems causing/promoting ingrown hairs. I think the only way to draw attention to it is to start a law suit against these companies. That would work only in the US where companies are held responsible for people's questionable life choices, but it would be a good start. Maybe, we can all get our money back :biggrin:

In another thread

I asked what cartridge razor was best to use when air travel made the use of a DE razor impossible.

[snip]

Now having rehearsed the history I raise a new question. Would not a single blade quality cartridge razor be the legitimate descendent of the injector razor?

The injector razor was designed in the age of metal only products, but the advent of good plastics changes everything. A metal cartridge was used to insert a metal blade into a metal handle, but with excellent industrial processes that use plastics the sensible route is to put the blade is a plastic disposable case.

At least one injector-blade manufacturer -- Ted Pella -- sells its SE blades in a plastic-bodied case, with a metal "key" for proper insertion.

These blades are, as the saying goes, "razor sharp"; and, together with one of the classic Schick safety razors (the model "E"- and "G"-series quickly come to mind) make a terrific shaving team -- one which airport security personnel would be hard-pressed to prohibit from carry-on luggage.

Just looked at the Ted Pella site - so injector style blades are still in production? They are used in varous surgical instruments. Are they on sale in UK or Europe?

Does that mean that the Injector razor is still a serious contender, if you can find a handle?

Wilkinson Sword sold a single-blade cartridge razor in the '70's. They called it their "Bonded Blade" system, as the blade was fixed, or bonded, into the replaceable cartridge. I have one in the original packaging.

I skipped the Sensor when it first came out, because I didn't think it would be any better than the Atra. So I recently picked up a Sensor due to the many recommendations on this site. It really is a good design; It glides over your face nicely and gets under the nose quite well. It just wasn't sharp enough. After about 5 passes, I still had stubble. It made me wonder if Gillette really does lower the quality of their older blade systems to steer shavers to their latest? I know the Fusion cartridges are very sharp.

Norm :boat:

I second the Gillette Guard. A fantastic razor & a crime that Gillette does not make them available at mass merchandisers in the USA. There is also the Personna made Bumpfighter razor - it's just not a close shave though.

Does anyone know why the Wilkinson Bonded seemed not to catch on or have a long run? Or was it just quickly replaced by the Trac II types?

The Bump Fighter is a single-blade cartridge. The cart blade is "wired" in such a way as to prevent from getting too close a shave and hence "Bump" or ingrown hairs. I use it when I've over shaved or have irritation but still need to shave.

I would love to see a single blade cart that cut as close as my Schick Injector does.

In another thread

I expressed the concern that having (re)learned the skills of DE shaving a multi-blade razor might not sit well on the beard.

I was offered the view that the two blade Sensor should be chosen even in preference to the Mach 3. I guess this is because the Sensor heads are fixed and because the tug and tear principle is less dominant with two blades.

So the replica injector razor is an a poor design by the standards of modern production engineering. If another style of single blade razor is needed alongside the DE razor it should be a high quality single blade cartridge razor that mimics the geometry of the Schick but avoids the complexities of the old metal technology injector.

Is there such a product? I there any likelihood of such a product being marketed? A high quality single blade cartridge could be produced tomorrow to click into an existing handle.

Well actually only Schick ST2 has the same head-body position as SE razors. I do not how to explain it, but head is connected with handle on the top not on the bottom as other razors, so angle is rather specific.
Shaves great and has a great grip and button that unclogs the razor.

I second the Gillette Guard. A fantastic razor & a crime that Gillette does not make them available at mass merchandisers in the USA. There is also the Personna made Bumpfighter razor - it's just not a close shave though.

Does anyone know why the Wilkinson Bonded seemed not to catch on or have a long run? Or was it just quickly replaced by the Trac II types?

I was a user of the Wilkinson Bonded Blade when it came out. It provided a great shave if my memory serves. About six months later the Trac II showed up. (this was in the PX as I was I the army.) Very shortly afterward the Bonded Blade disappeared. I can only surmise that the Trac II just drove the Bonded Blade from the market.

The Bump Fighter is a single-blade cartridge. The cart blade is "wired" in such a way as to prevent from getting too close a shave and hence "Bump" or ingrown hairs. I use it when I've over shaved or have irritation but still need to shave.

I would love to see a single blade cart that cut as close as my Schick Injector does.
Have you seen or used this? Kai S-Gold disposable. Not a cart but kind of Schickish.
proxy.php

Fendrihan sells them. Ebay too sometimes. Reviews seem to either really like them or really hate them. I've never tried it, I think it uses the Feather single edge blade (which is a thicker blade) as opposed to half a Feather DE blade.

Top Bottom