What's new

Simpsons Brush Ivory Shades

Hi everyone,
I recently acquired a Simpsons Berkeley in best badger and noticed that the ivory handle has a bit of a pinkish tint when compared to the Duke 3 and Case I currently own. Is this just some simple variation of color in how the handles are made? Both are post-vulfix Simpsons.
IMG_3641.JPG

I can't see any difference in the photograph, but I'm sure there is one. I believe the Simpsons handles are turned from resin rods which would be produced by another firm, or possibly more than one over the years. Production runs of these rods will be quite short and it's a safe bet there would be very small differences in the resins used, which would account for the slight differnce in shade.

Yes. It's normal variation in resin batches. Some are green/yellow hue, others red/salmon. Good badger grade on that 46 BTW. Above average. Is it very soft and stinky?

Yes. It's normal variation in resin batches. Some are green/yellow hue, others red/salmon. Good badger grade on that 46 BTW. Above average. Is it very soft and stinky?
I haven't tried it out yet but its in the lineup this week. I'll give an update post-shave lol

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I own more than 20 Simpsons and it's pretty normal.

By the way both brushes look fantastic, why not add a Chubby 1? ;)

I own more than 20 Simpsons and it's pretty normal.

By the way both brushes look fantastic, why not add a Chubby 1? ;)
Thanks. I have a few brushes atm that I should give some time to before justifying another purchase LOL. But the Chubby 1 looks like a nice brush and probably the most I would spend on a brush too. There is a good deal on the Chubby 1 in best on amazon but would you recommend the Chubby 1 in super instead?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Thanks. I have a few brushes atm that I should give some time to before justifying another purchase LOL. But the Chubby 1 looks like a nice brush and probably the most I would spend on a brush too. There is a good deal on the Chubby 1 in best on amazon but would you recommend the Chubby 1 in super instead?

I own the Chubby 1 in both Best and Super. The Super is slightly softer, but I was lucky to get a very nice Best grade of hair. For that reason I would suggest the Super, which is more selected, while with the Best you can get more or less softness depending on the batch.

Shaved with the 46 yesterday. The brush is quite soft and feels similar to my Duke 3. The initial "badger" smell was mild (I think the scent of my soap neutralized the badger smell LOL). Out of the box, I am very pleased with the Simpson Berkeley and plan to have apart of my rotation.

Shaved with the 46 yesterday. The brush is quite soft and feels similar to my Duke 3. The initial "badger" smell was mild (I think the scent of my soap neutralized the badger smell LOL). Out of the box, I am very pleased with the Simpson Berkeley and plan to have apart of my rotation.

Awesome! Enjoy it.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
I have no experience with newer ivory brushes but I have several from one of the Somerset mills. They all have the pink-red tint to the handels. Hard to pick up in the pictures but noticeable in my hand. All are great vintage brushes

4EBA9F02-0B94-4766-8B50-3DCF4E8500DD.jpeg
2F114FAB-980C-461C-B2D8-B7ED5D920C7A.jpeg

Top Bottom