What's new

Simpson special 1 vs chubby 1

I'm looking at both these simpson shaving brushes, looking for best badger hair because it's within my budget. Both are faux ivory handle, no imitation ivory on both. Both brushes are filled with best badger hair. The special 1 is $50 and the chubby 1 is $160. I want to know if there is any differences in the quality of the best badger hair! Tnx. Steve.

Oh I forgot to add the photos! Here they are first one special 1 second chubby.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190214-111540.png
    Screenshot_20190214-111540.png
    83.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20190214-111722.png
    Screenshot_20190214-111722.png
    115.7 KB · Views: 28
Oh I forgot to add the photos! Here they are first one special 1 second chubby.
First, let me start by saying, if your thinking about buying a chubby 1 in best for $160, you need to look around. I'm positive you can find one much closer to $100 (to wit: chubby 1 best). I think i paid $125 or so for mine with super badger hair.

Second, I have owned a special in best, and I still own a chubby 1 in super. the chubby 1 is one of my favorite brushes. It is much more densely packed with hair than the special. Also, i believe the knot width on the chubby 1 is about 23 mm. I believe the special knot width is around 19mm.

First, let me start by saying, if your thinking about buying a chubby 1 in best for $160, you need to look around. I'm positive you can find one much closer to $100 (to wit: chubby 1 best). I think i paid $125 or so for mine with super badger hair.

Second, I have owned a special in best, and I still own a chubby 1 in super. the chubby 1 is one of my favorite brushes. It is much more densely packed with hair than the special. Also, i believe the knot width on the chubby 1 is about 23 mm. I believe the special knot width is around 19mm.
Those ones don't ship to my address it says, the link you gave me. The only one is from West coast shaving which equals out to the same cost I gave $160. Tnx for trying. The cheapest one I found was on eBay I think for $130 with shipping.

I have had both. I still have the Special which is my travel brush, but still gets used at home once in awhile. The Ch1 was sold since it was so close to the Duke3 I own and use regularly. My experience was the Ch1 hair was a bit nicer than the Special, but I'm quite happy with the Special hair and I feel like I'm sensitive to scritch (fine with a little scrub though - do not like any scritch). I expected the Ch1 to have better hair than the Special due to price. Both great brushes.

I must have sold or given away 15 brushes in the past 9 years and a Special is the only brush I still miss. I never had a Chubby, but I've had other dense brushes. Over the years I moved away from brushes with a lot of backbone (and/or scritch) to softer brushes with some splay, which is why now I miss the Special. I can't recommend one over the other. It depends on what features you're looking for in a brush.

I'm also thinking the Simpson Berkeley 46 best badger as a starter, I am thinking it may be an in between. Nice brush! Well priced!

im not sure the densities of the CH series is really close to other “dense” brushes. it is something else.

i found the ch1 handle slightly uncomfortably small. i love the CH2 handle though.

It's going to be a chubby. I have a general question for you. These are the best deals I can find that will deliver where I live. Tell me what you think? $116 USD including shipping for simpson chubby ch1 best badger, or $149 USD including shipping simpson chubby ch1 super badger. Best deals I can find on this model that will ship to me. Exhausting research! I will be looking forward to your reply tnx. Steve. I have to add if I get it from Germany, production was done in the united kingdom, it's $121 USD including shipping. And that's for simpson ch1 super badger.

Last edited:
Get it in Super. I kept my Duke3 since I liked it just a touch more. If my Ch1 was in Super, I likely would have made a different choice. For those price differences, Super!

Get it in Super. I kept my Duke3 since I liked it just a touch more. If my Ch1 was in Super, I likely would have made a different choice. For those price differences, Super!
I am just trying to find out from Jut if I do get it in super should I get it from Germany. It's a great price!

Steve, I will tell you why I got mine in super, and let you make your decision based on that.

I have bought Simpson brushes in best and super. Sometimes the best brushes that I have bought have been to my liking (good backbone and little scritch) and some have been really scratchy and rough. Some have been better than some of the Simpson brushes that I have in super. I find it to be a complete crapshoot.

On the other hand. When I order a brush in super, it has always arrived with good backbone and little scritch.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I can't comment on whether you should get it from Germany or not. I know the brushes that I bought were made in the UK and sent to me in the US. I have no idea what route they took to get to me.

I can't comment on whether you should get it from Germany or not. I know the brushes that I bought were made in the UK and sent to me in the US. I have no idea what route they took to get to me.

Thanks for your reply, and through further research I found the simpson ch1 in best badger hair for under $100 USD like you said. With import charges and Canadian taxes comes up to $99.97 USD. And the super badger really comes up to $133.27 USD with import charges and Canadian taxes. You get what I mean if you just convert USD to CAD in those totals, it all adds up! Thanks again, I just need to make a decision on best or super!

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I am not a fan of dense knots (I love flow through, not lather hogs), so I would take the Special in the blink of an eye and buy soaps with the left over moolah!

Well I have made my decision based on what Jut said. End of story for me! I'm making my purchase for the ch1. Thanks for all your help everybody that posted!:001_cool:

Well I have made my decision based on what Jut said. End of story for me! I'm making my purchase for the ch1. Thanks for all your help everybody that posted!:001_cool:

The CH1 in Best is a magnificent brush...it'll definitely treat you well. Simpson's Best is one of my favorite hairs out there...it's where the Simpson's brand really shines.

The Chubby 1 in best is one of my favorites!! That said, my Tulip 2 in super is also a favorite!

There is considerable variation in Simpsons badger with my favorite ‘best’ grades overlapping the ‘super’ and others overlapping their ‘pure’ grade.

Top Bottom