What's new

Simpson Shedding

A used shedding brush without a disclaimer is a common eBay bait and switch from a shady seller.

Buy from a reputable dealer going forward who will let you return a shedding brush.

Simpsons is a great maker of shaving brushes. But just like any manufacturer of anything, there will be the occasional problem product that any reputable dealer will be more than willing to replace to keep their customer happy.

I have a pile of Simpsons. Some of them I love and some shed and break hairs pretty consistently. I will leave it at that. There is plenty to read about on the subject on various forums.

So far, so good with my 3 Commodores. There’s a hair or two that comes out from time, to time but I’m not worried about it. I figured that I’ll keep using them until I can’t anymore.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
This is my full array of brushes.

20240119_125537.jpg

The top three rows are all from the Vulfix/Simpson factory. None are heavy shredders. Yes, the odd hair or two may work loose occasionally, but no more than the four badger brushes on the bottom row.

Throw it in the garbage and buy a brush from a different brand.

I don’t agree.
I’d rather mail it to Simpsons and see whether they can make it right.
Maybe they will, maybe they point out that the brush was treated improperly and the hair loss is not covered by warranty.
Simpsons are not cheap and all you have to loose is the postage…

Unlike what someone claimed here, Simpsons Best Badger brushes can be quite nice and quite good, and they are by no means ‘the worst’.
For me, Best Badgers are Simpsons’ (price and quality) sweet spot and ideal if you are looking for a brush with more feedback than their Supers.

Notwithstanding hygienic considerations, before I‘d buy a second-hand brush from someone I don’t know, I’d rather play in the lottery. Chances are better, you know… :001_cool:

B.

I don’t agree.
I’d rather mail it to Simpsons and see whether they can make it right.
Maybe they will, maybe they point out that the brush was treated improperly and the hair loss is not covered by warranty.
Simpsons are not cheap and all you have to loose is the postage…

Unlike what someone claimed here, Simpsons Best Badger brushes can be quite nice and quite good, and they are by no means ‘the worst’.
For me, Best Badgers are Simpsons’ (price and quality) sweet spot and ideal if you are looking for a brush with more feedback than their Supers.

Notwithstanding hygienic considerations, before I‘d buy a second-hand brush from someone I don’t know, I’d rather play in the lottery. Chances are better, you know… :001_cool:

B.
I respect and appreciate your approach. However any of us winds up with a shedder, it just puts a real damper on this fun hobby we have. I am sorry that you got unlucky and wound up with a shedder. Best of luck.

I respect and appreciate your approach. However any of us winds up with a shedder, it just puts a real damper on this fun hobby we have. I am sorry that you got unlucky and wound up with a shedder. Best of luck.

I think you are mistaken, as I don’t have any Simpsons shedders and am very happy with the Simpsons I own.

I merely suggested that instead of tossing the brush, as someone suggested, I would rather spend the postage, mail the brush to Simpsons, and see whether they can rectify the problem under warranty. If Simpsons should not identify the problem as an warranty issue, the OP could still decide whether he is willing to bear the cost or not.

A more economic and sensible approach than discarding the brush straight away.

B.

I think you are mistaken, as I don’t have any Simpsons shedders and am very happy with the Simpsons I own.

I merely suggested that instead of tossing the brush, as someone suggested, I would rather spend the postage, mail the brush to Simpsons, and see whether they can rectify the problem under warranty. If Simpsons should not identify the problem as an warranty issue, the OP could still decide whether he is willing to bear the cost or not.

A more economic and sensible approach than discarding the brush straight away.

B.
Ok, that clears it up. I find getting Simpson to recognize shedding issues, particularly for a 2nd hand brush unlikely. Part of my perspective is based on dealing with a shedder with them and hearing from others who have as well. Post in thread 'Shipping from USA to Simpson'
Shipping from USA to Simpson - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/shipping-from-usa-to-simpson.643474/post-12374193

I would choose to ignore sunk costs at the used best price level. Again, respect your approach. Glad you have had good experiences.

I've always found shedding a potential problem with badger hair brushes. Sometimes you're lucky, sometimes you pay big money and end up with a terrible shedder. This is one of the reasons I buy mostly synthetics these days.

Top Bottom