What's new

Simpson Shedding

I have a Simpsom badger brush I bought online that's shedding like mad every time I use it. Is there some way I can stop it?
IMG_2490.jpg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
It was used
If you bought the brush used on EBay, and the shedding was not declared in the description, then I would request a refund from EBay and return the item. No matter if the seller states 'returns not accepted', EBay will always refund a buyer who declares the item was not as described. Great if you are a buyer as you are less likely to be conned, not so good if you are a seller as you are more likely to be conned. If you bought the brush elsewhere and the seller refuses a return and refund, then I would wash it, comb it, and hope for the best; sometimes they stop shedding and sometimes they don't but I would not be optimistic 👍

If you bought the brush used on EBay, and the shedding was not declared in the description, then I would request a refund from EBay and return the item. No matter if the seller states 'returns not accepted', EBay will always refund a buyer who declares the item was not as described. Great if you are a buyer as you are less likely to be conned, not so good if you are a seller as you are more likely to be conned. If you bought the brush elsewhere and the seller refuses a return and refund, then I would wash it, comb it, and hope for the best; sometimes they stop shedding and sometimes they don't but I would not be optimistic 👍

+1! Good luck!!

I purchased a Simpson Berkeley last year that shed more hair than I did before I started shaving the dome. It slowed down after a bit, but will still shed a hair or two now.

I bought a Berkeley 46 during Black Friday and that little guy scared the shait out of me.

First 3 shaves it shed like I’ve never seen before. 10+ hairs easily.

After shave 4 or 5 it settled and now I see one or two when it happens.

First thing- understand what you have. It's a Simpson in Best grade and these are all notorious shedders. Some will tell you their brush doesn't shed and they're probably lucky, but the great majority of these things in that particular grade shed like dogs. If it's used- you either have a total dud and it will never stop shedding or the previous owner only used it once or twice and it hasn't completed its initial shedding phase- and you don't know for sure if it will stop. Especially with this grade- you should expect shedding even past the break-in period. I would personally try to return that one, or at least ask how much the brush was used before you.

First thing- understand what you have. It's a Simpson in Best grade and these are all notorious shedders. Some will tell you their brush doesn't shed and they're probably lucky, but the great majority of these things in that particular grade shed like dogs. If it's used- you either have a total dud and it will never stop shedding or the previous owner only used it once or twice and it hasn't completed its initial shedding phase- and you don't know for sure if it will stop. Especially with this grade- you should expect shedding even past the break-in period. I would personally try to return that one, or at least ask how much the brush was used before you.
My chubby 1 in best badger is about 8yrs old and it continues to shed, not as much when new but at least 2-3 per shave soon enough I'll have nothing left.

There is another possibility: The brush was abused (e.g. not properly rinsed out after shaves), started shedding, and will keep shedding until it is discarded.

For a long time I held back from buying Simpsons, because Simpsons appeared to have a higher rate of shedding reports on forums than other brushes and I have two notorious shedders that were made by Vulfix, which acquired Simpsons a few years back.

About five years ago, I bought my first Simpson and when that one performed flawlessly five more, most of them Best Badger grade.
All are excellent and at the most shed an occasional hair (Simpson considers shedding up to five hairs per shave normal). But I am a little more careful with them than with my other (Shavemac, Semogue, Mühle, Omega, etc.) brushes and primarily use the ‘to and fro’ motion that Simpson recommends.
The only other brushes where I take similar care with are the two Vulfixes and two Thäters.

B.

Last edited:
There is another possibility: The brush was abused (e.g. not properly rinsed out after shaves), started shedding, and will keep shedding until it is discarded.

(Simpson considers shedding up to five hairs per shave normal).
WRT the brush being abused- i think for that to happen it had to be over a relatively long period and steady use. Given the brush in question has a history we don't know about- definitely possible.

5 hairs per shave is excessive and not normal unless one is drinking the Simpson cool aid.

I've owned 6-8 or so Simpson over the years, still have a couple that are amongst my favorites. None shed or had any issues.

My one and only Saville Row was a shredder. It was purchased from the BST, from a reputable and reliable seller who I trust, new in box. No warranty as no original owner. Sold as "shredder" on eBay.

I have a Paladin (M&F knot) that also sheds a hair or two, on almost every use. I love the brush so much, I love with it.

Simpson Best are not worse than any other market for being "notorious shredders". I'm not sure there that statement came from above.

What I do know is, people are ultra quick to bash Simpson as they don't have a forum presence like some other brushes. From what I've seen, if you purchase a Simpson NEW and have issues, they take care of you.

I've owned 6-8 or so Simpson over the years, still have a couple that are amongst my favorites. None shed or had any issues.
I have 3 Simpson brushes in best. All bought directly from Simpson. I’ve had pretty much the same experience. Except maybe 10-15 hairs total from each brush shedding

First thing- understand what you have. It's a Simpson in Best grade and these are all notorious shedders.
I try to do research as best I can before purchasing, but did not know about the Best Badger actually being the worst. I purchased mine from Maggard's, who I assume receives their stock new directly from Simpson. I was aware of the positive reputation of Simpson, but not the poor reputation of Best knots. Are the Best just constructed poorly? Or is there something inherent to that hair type that makes it more prone to shed?

By comparison, I purchased two Pure grade knots from Aliexpress last year to put in two vintage handles I restored. Neither one of those inexpensive knots has shed a single hair.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I try to do research as best I can before purchasing, but did not know about the Best Badger actually being the worst. I purchased mine from Maggard's, who I assume receives their stock new directly from Simpson. I was aware of the positive reputation of Simpson, but not the poor reputation of Best knots. Are the Best just constructed poorly? Or is there something inherent to that hair type that makes it more prone to shed?

By comparison, I purchased two Pure grade knots from Aliexpress last year to put in two vintage handles I restored. Neither one of those inexpensive knots has shed a single hair.
The statement you quoted is simply not true. They are not all notorious shedders. There's no reputation that best badger is more prone to shedding that I'm aware of, I also research what I buy and haven't seen that. I've had one minor problem with a Simpson brush, it was a pure knot with a donut hole, and I have about a dozen -- mostly in best. Good hair, good build. Don't worry.

Thanks, @nemo . The Berkeley in Best slowed its shedding after a bit, but still loses a few hairs. I really enjoy both versions of the Simpson synthetic knots. Great performers for me, and both have retained all the hairs they came with :)

Sorry if you’ve had bad luck with Simpsons Badgers, but I currently own 15+ Simpsons bought over the last 5 years and none of them are shedders, as do many others on this forum.

Simpsons are not in fact notorious shedders, although there can be the occasional outlier that might fit into this category.

Top Bottom