What's new

Simpson Shedding... Problem?

Are you sure you didn't count the same hair twice? :001_tt1::001_tt1:

--james

No... seriously! The shedding was so bad (I thought) I was about to return it to the vendor. I bought this brush from Lee of Lee's Razors at the Austin meetup in March 2010. Lee asked me to keep it and use it daily for two more weeks and if the shedding persisted he would replace it. Lee said my experience was not uncommon and I should give the brush more time. He was right. The brush stopped shedding 3-4 days after we spoke.

No... seriously! The shedding was so bad (I thought) I was about to return it to the vendor. I bought this brush from Lee of Lee's Razors at the Austin meetup in March 2010. Lee asked me to keep it and use it daily for two more weeks and if the shedding persisted he would replace it. Lee said my experience was not uncommon and I should give the brush more time. He was right. The brush stopped shedding 3-4 days after we spoke.

I am finding the same thing with my Duke 3. I have been using it almost exclusively for three months and all of a sudden I am down to losing about five of six hairs. After every use I dry the brush on a towel and then comb it.

I am finding the same thing with my Duke 3. I have been using it almost exclusively for three months and all of a sudden I am down to losing about five of six hairs. After every use I dry the brush on a towel and then comb it.

Just my personal view but I think drying the brush on a towel and then combing it it pretty hard on a brush. I was always told that rinsing the brush and then shaking it and letting it dry was the best care. When I travel and don't want to pack a damp or wet brush, I use a blow drier.

--james

I always rinse my brush, give it a few laps on a towel and hang up.... Never a problem on TGN, Rooney, and Shavemac knots. I can count on 1 hand the hairs I have lost

Just my personal view but I think drying the brush on a towel and then combing it it pretty hard on a brush. I was always told that rinsing the brush and then shaking it and letting it dry was the best care. When I travel and don't want to pack a damp or wet brush, I use a blow drier.

--james

A blow drier can be harder on a brush than a towel.

--james

Both WCS and Simpson recommend that I comb the hairs of the brush with the idea that any loose hairs would be removed. They said that often the cause of shedding is that loose hairs were not fully removed when the brush knot was set into the handle. They further said that brush makers use a comb to remove loose hair, and that I should run a comb through the brush hairs vigorously to see if that helps.

Also, keep in mind that one cause of brush deterioration is when water remains in the knot of the brush. The prolonged presence of moisture in the knot will eventually start to deteriorate the hairs and cause them to start falling out.

Duke 3's are notorious shedders. I love mine and just deal with it. I have damn near tortured the thing trying to get every bristle that wants to come out, out. Still shedding. I find it unacceptable personally but everyone is different. If you do buy a Simpson's....buy it new and save your receipt. If not you are basically SOL. I will also say the quality of the bristles seem inferior to even those of my Colonel. Both are in best of course but the Duke seems to have thinner shafts. Who knows. I will still enjoy my other non shedding Simpsons though. No more new Simpsons though. Too much of a sour taste in my mouth.

I just picked up a used (1 shave on her) duke 3 in best. This is not what I wanted to hear. I'll say a prayer tonight, to the Shaving Gods, that mine is healthy.

Steve

Hope yours does well. Many folks find this though. Maybe its isolated to a bad batch which I was the unfortunate recipient. Its probably a minor issue but normally only those with issues speak up. Good luck and you will enjoy the brush! It does perform well.

Don't dense brushes have thousands of hairs? As in upwards of 10,000? Maybe not that much but I don't understand why some folks get all crazy about relatively small hair loss. I get that these brushes are pretty pricey for most people, but unless the brush loses hairs constantly, on just about every use, I think some folks need to chill out a bit.

Don't dense brushes have thousands of hairs? As in upwards of 10,000? Maybe not that much but I don't understand why some folks get all crazy about relatively small hair loss. I get that these brushes are pretty pricey for most people, but unless the brush loses hairs constantly, on just about every use, I think some folks need to chill out a bit.

Its annoying. Hairs on your face, razor, sink, soap, etc. I am not worried about it losing all of its hair. I am just pissed because its defective regardless if it was $10 or $400. How about if you had a high end tooth brush that shed 1-2 bristles a day? You had to dig them out of your mouth or throat every day. Same thing. I have no problem with the occasional shedder but this is a bit extreme. I combed the brush last night to see if that helps. I was able to get ~ 40 hairs out and of course more came out this morning. I might just sell it at a deep discount. Many other better options out there.

Top Bottom