What's new

Simpson Quality

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I have an old broken CH2 around, the knot was shot (big donut hole and shedding badly), so it made no sense to make a new handle for it.
Just cut an opening so one can see how deep the CH2 knots are set: 22-23 mm. I have restored several CH 2 over the years and the knots were always so deep in the handle. One can also see the string that are used to tie the knots, one is visible here, the other was gone.

View attachment 1603254
Wowsa! That knot is set deeper than the straight razor and honing rabbit holes!

I have an old broken CH2 around, the knot was shot (big donut hole and shedding badly), so it made no sense to make a new handle for it.
Just cut an opening so one can see how deep the CH2 knots are set: 22-23 mm. I have restored several CH 2 over the years and the knots were always so deep in the handle. One can also see the string that are used to tie the knots, one is visible here, the other was gone.

View attachment 1603254
Kind of interesting to see. Kind of looks like the second string you mentioned might have been above the one that’s still there. I wonder if having the string(s) or not is due to knot maker preference and/or the type of brush being made

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Kind of interesting to see. Kind of looks like the second string you mentioned might have been above the one that’s still there. I wonder if having the string(s) or not is due to knot maker preference and/or the type of brush being made
Yes, the second one was above the one that is left. All the CH2 I restored had these two ties.
Some makers still use the ties in some knot models, like Shavemac has two ties in the D01 grade. The other knots are made like the video showed that someone posted from Zahn Pinsel GmbH.

It's a very nice brush. Of course, it's hard to form a good opinion on a brush after just one use. One thing is for sure the shape is the classic Simpson fan hybrid. It lost quite a few hairs on the first shave- something I've never experienced with the 2 band Silvertips I've purchased. Some scritch but I hope it subsides with use. And a stinker.

Regardless of what anyone at Simpson says in this thread, I'm not convinced they were tying their own Silvertip knots. They didn't shed a hair and they were perfect bulb shapes. I've never seen that shape with any other grade hair.

Shape looks good. Don’t freak out when you feel a bit of scritch with the Manchurian. Against common knowledge mine broke in with 8-10 shaves and 1-2 lost hairs.
Lost quite a few more hairs than that. Kind of expected based on past experience and the fact that this brush has way more hair. When I used the defective CH2 I lost 0 hairs after the first use. Definitely some scritch but very plush and enjoyable.

It's a very nice brush. Of course, it's hard to form a good opinion on a brush after just one use. One thing is for sure the shape is the classic Simpson fan hybrid. It lost quite a few hairs on the first shave- something I've never experienced with the 2 band Silvertips I've purchased. Some scritch but I hope it subsides with use. And a stinker.

Regardless of what anyone at Simpson says in this thread, I'm not convinced they were tying their own Silvertip knots. They didn't shed a hair and they were perfect bulb shapes. I've never seen that shape with any other grade hair.
I had a similar experience with my 2-band which I received around the same time - the knot type was a bulb as opposed to the more traditional Simpson hybrid. It didn’t drop a single hair. I will note that if you take a look at the synthetic knots on the website, there seems to be a lot of bulb tendencies developing with “the girls” tying the knots. Between that and several orders around that time shipping from Germany and the long time that took, something was up.

Top Bottom