What's new

Simple, But Unusual Dairy Free One Pot Winter Warmer Recipes

It's getting cooler, nights are drawing in - time to stop eating salads and enjoy heartier hot meals.

I love cooking and eating dishes like Spaghetti & Meatballs, Beef Stew, Jambalaya, Chilli Con Carne and Thai or Indian style Chicken or Turkey Curries as much as the next man, but....

What are your favourite winter warmer dishes ?

Conditions.....

Simple recipes and methods, quantities aren't necessary - unless vital to the recipe
One pot wonders that I can cook on the hob - Recipes that require an oven, BBQ or grill are not for me
Preferably dishes made with pork, beef, chicken, turkey or fish - lamb and shellfish are like gold dust in Mallorca !!
Above all else - no butter, cheese or milk products

Nothing that involves tripe, lungs, offal, etc. - fried/boiled/stewed lamb's, pig's or cow's guts aren't my idea of fun !!

I'll start the ball rolling with a simple recipe......

Maltese Pork Stew - Stuffat tal-Majjal

1. Cut onions, garlic, carrots and potatoes into small pieces. Then fry in olive oil for a few minutes.
2. Add pork and bacon cut into cubes.
3. Add tomato paste and red wine and stir well.
4. After 5 minutes, add a can of peeled tomatoes.
5. When the meat is tender, add some peas, season with salt & pepper to taste.
6. Serve on a bed of rice. With plenty of crusty bread.

Very tasty, filling and warming.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I like a good bowl of beans, although I generally like corn bread with them. Using the crock pot, I cook up limas or black beans with either ham hock or diced up salt pork, along with salt, pepper, garlic, and onion. Turn it on, and come back in 8 hours. If using ham hock, once cooked I get all the meat of the hock and stir it up. Oh, one bit of possible heresy- when I spoon up a bowl, I add ketchup. It fills you up on those cold days.

"Pot Noodles" Basically a healthy, homemade version of the dorm room staple, Ramen. @adamchur, you may have to get creative with ingredients - not sure how much of these may be available in Mallorca.

1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 red chile, seeded and finely chopped
1 tablespoon Shaoxing rice wine *
1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
1 c fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced or 1/2 c dried, reconstituted and sliced
3 cups vegetable stock
1 (8 ounce) can bamboo shoots, drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 tablespoon black rice vinegar *
Pinch freshly cracked white pepper
1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with 2 tbs cold water
7 ounces cooked egg noodles, soba, ramen or spaghetti
* Substitutions: Shaoxing rice wine - dry sherry or gin. Black rice vinegar - equal parts red wine
vinegar and Balsamic vinegar

Heat a large sauce pan over high heat, add the oil, and stir-fry the ginger and mushrooms until
softened. Add the chile, Shaoxing rice wine, vegetable stock, bamboo shoots, soy sauces, black rice
vinegar and the white pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, thicken with the cornstarch slurry and set
aside to keep warm over low heat until it's time to eat.
To Serve:
Ladle soup into small bowls.
Add some cooked noodles. Top with desired garnishes and a few drops of toasted sesame oil.

Garnish ideas: Bean sprouts, sliced baby corns, sliced green onion, cooked shredded chicken, pork or
shrimp, sliced fresh hot or sweet peppers, sliced water chestnuts, cilantro, Thai basil, cooked egg,
cooked peas, carrots, corn, Chinese cabbage (bok choi), radish.

Lentil soup.
I do mine with diced bacon and wieners. Frankfurters should also be good.
And there has to be some vinegar in it.

Top Bottom