What's new

Silvertip on a budget

I'm looking around for a nice silvertip brush to add to my rotation, but I'm not willing to spend a fortune on a Simpson or Rooney etc.
I'm thinking more in the range of Whipped Dog, Frank Shaving, ... I'm sure there are many more brushes that fit the bill.

So what would be your recommendations? What's the best silvertip brush possible for a max of about $40?
I'm a 100% face latherer and looking for around a 22mm, your middle of the road sized silvertip I guess :)

Whipped Dog is the best deal for silver tip brushes. I have two WD silvertips and love them. One is 30mm knot and enjoy it as much as my famous name brushes.

Last edited:
The Chinese FS ones on ebay are pretty good. Hogs the lather, but a very comfortable brush & it hasn't shed.
I have to use maybe 25% more cream to get 3 full passes out of it in comparison with my AoS pure badger.

Without any doubt, Whipped Dog makes an excellent silvertip brush for under $30. You can also choose a custom loft for a very minimal extra fee. Larry, the proprietor, also is very friendly and knowledgeable, call or email him if you have any questions or concerns.

Another BIG vote for Larry at Whipped Dog! One thing you will get with WD is the personal attention of the owner. Larry is widely known for excellent customer service and business practices. I have personally dealt with him, and have one of his excellent synthetic badgers.

Whipped Dog set at 47mm to 48mm for face lathering. I want to try a TGN two band finest in an ancient handle I'm going to restore, but for now, Whipped Dog.

- And Larry is a great guy to do business with.

FS (Frank Shaving) quality control is varied and you roll the dice when you order brushes from them. On the same order, I recently bought two identical FS silvertip (except handle colour) badger brushes. The black handle is good for the money although I don't honestly expect to get long mileage from it. The ivory colour one was terrible. It shed more than a Husky dog in July, had the backbone of a feather duster, extra glue extending into knot and just overall felt awful. I ended up PIFing the ivory to a friend who is new to wet shaving with full disclosure. When I complained to Ebay vendor, they replied "what do you expect for cheap money".

I hear great things about Larry and his Whipped Dog brushes but have no personal experience to share.

Last edited:
Go with Whipped Dog! Ideal knot sizes and short lofts for face lathering. Very completable prices, very low postage ($2-3) for world wide delivery.

Another BIG vote for Larry at Whipped Dog! One thing you will get with WD is the personal attention of the owner. Larry is widely known for excellent customer service and business practices. I have personally dealt with him, and have one of his excellent synthetic badgers.

Jim, how does Larry's synthetic knot compare with the G4 Muhle's? Thanks.

My Whipped Dog is my favorite brush very good quality at a fantastic price. And Larry is great with any questions you have about the products.

Gotta go with Larry.
Do ask that he set the knot a few mm deeper than normal though, that will help with the backbone if you like that.

I have two, one of the older Firehouse in 30mm, and it is one blooming SOB. The 2nd one is a 24mm, that I set into one of Rudy Vey's "orphan" blem handles (I still haven't been able to find the blemish).
I like them both, but the 24mm gets more use because I set it a little deeper and it's not as floppy.

BUT... Silvertip is a very soft hair and some people like them a bit floppy.

Bang for the buck, Larry is the way to go.

I do have a Frank's turnback travel brush. It's a good brush, and for $35 for a turnback Silvertip, it's not the end of the world if it is lost or damaged on the road. Honestly, it looks and feels the same as a $160 AoS turnback.
But for "run of the mill" handles, Frank's aren't the value that they were a couple of years ago. I would not buy a "regular use" Frank's over one of Larry's today.
But if you want a travel brush, his turnback is reasonable.

+1 for WD. Very well said.

Codfish, do you know what synthetic knots Larry carries?

I have 2 FRAnK SHAVIng Silvertip and 2 Ace Shaving silvertips. Got them both off eBay at reasonable prices. They have all performed well.

im gonna have to agree with everyone that is suggesting a whippeddog silvertip. his prices are great and his customer service is outstanding. i had one firehouse brush from him that was shedding. when i emailed him about it he offered to send me a resin handle with a silvertip knot or get me another firehouse without question. also there is a hobbyist, wolf whiskers, that i recently got a brush from, and he was also a great guy to deal with. he custom makes his own handles from resin blanks he pours, and then sets the type of knot you want, at the depth you want. hope that helps!

Top Bottom