What's new

Shu vs Sheng and tea/water ratio

Pretty simple - do you guys find your self using more raw tea per volume of water than ripe tea? Other way around?

I'm starting to get the feeling that I can better tolerate a higher quantity of raw tea than I can of ripe tea.

I generally use the same amount of tea when doing either a shu or a sheng. However, that is just a general guideline. If the tea seems a bit on the namby pamby side, I may increase the amount by a couple of grams for the session. On the other hand, if the tea is just one of those "knocks your socks off" teas, I may use a couple less grams (some of the Bulang teas might be a good example).

If the tea seems a bit on the namby pamby side, I may increase the amount by a couple of grams for the session.

That phrase is really awkward in this context. :001_huh: I've seen folks using it lately but it really doesn't fit. Maybe, uninteresting or unexciting are more accurate to the intent. Hrm.

With Jim, namby pamby refers to delicate and or femme teas, which doesn't have anything to do with strength per se.

The use here derives from Hobbe's take on Nannuo tea, which in it's light floralness, is outside of his typical preference for very dark tasting, strong, manly teas like a flinty shicang from Yiwu, say. It's sort of a sarcastic label. Nobody would really think a good Nannuo is actually weak. Teas can be light, floral, and femme, and still be very strong.

The trouble above is merely that the tea described is weak, specifically so. It's like confusing a lithe fencer with a couch potato just because said fencer doen't look like Zangief.

The trouble above is merely that the tea described is weak, specifically so. It's like confusing a lithe fencer with a couch potato just because said fencer doen't look like Zangief.

For future reference, I believe analogies are intended to be less esoteric and confusing. FYI. :lol:

Wow! Lots of discussion about the use of the phrase "namby pamby." I did not realize that this phrase was so well defined. hehe. I only meant it to be a qualifier of whether or not the tea seemed to be a little weak. If so, increase your leaf. If to strong, decrease your leaf or infusion time. Hmmm... .... ... way too brain cells engaged in even thinking about this one. haha.

Top Bottom