What's new

Show Your CHAINSAWS!

Powered by Stihl. Here is my MS 250, one of the best tools I have ever purchased. This is my first pic right after getting home with it, I was going to change and clean up debris from hurricane Sandy last year, and some left over from Irene the previous year. Love this saw, and love this thread!

$stihl.jpg

$IMG_2020[1].jpg
It hasn't been used in a while but we have this two-man Homelite 66 Super Wiz with a 5' bar at work. I still enjoy my Homelite 925 but not as much as my Stihl MS 360, Farm Boss 290, or Husqvarna 338XTP.

Tom

I don't have a picture of it handy but I've got a nice little Stihl 024. Great little saw. I've only had it a couple of months and mainly use it to cut firewood when I go camping.

It's an old thread, but I have a new chainsaw (my first), so here we are!

Before winter, I ordered a truckload of a wood that was the remains of a felled dead oak. I knew that it would be "rough-cut" but didn't realize that the pieces would be so dang big - three feet across, 18 inches thick on average, and weirdly shaped. With my assortment of four axes and two splitting wedges, I had managed to break some of them, but I definitely wasn't splitting them. That method was going to take days of effort, with no guarantees of success.

I've wanted a chainsaw for quite some time and after seeing that load of oak, I just asked for one for Christmas. My dear, sweet old mum bought a 20" Stihl Farm Boss (MS 271) for me and I finally got to fire it up yesterday. In a mere half-hour, once I got the hang of starting the little beast, I made bread-loaf-sized chunks of two of the "rounds", and had two bags of shredded wood to use as fire-starter to boot.

That was really satisfying, and far easier on my back. As they say, you need the right tool for the job. :D

I live in NorCal, so our "winter" isn't really winter, especially with the way the weather is changing. We've been in severe drought while other parts of the country are getting pounded with snow, ice and rain. Still, on a "cold" night - or when we get some of our now-infrequent rain - it's really nice to have a fire in the fireplace.

Pics will be taken on another day.

@FoolishMortal A very fine and lifetime first saw you have there. Here's a vid on how to sharpen your chain and another if you need it. Here's another on setting the chain tension. No. 2 is a MS261, another 50cc saw and cousin to your Farm Boss. Fun!

View attachment 1406429 View attachment 1406427
Very nice, and thank you for the resources. I fear that this might be another rabbit hole, but I do feel like I should be satisfied with this one chainsaw. It certainly works a treat, so if I can keep it in fighting form, there's no reason it can't last me a lifetime. Cheers!

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
I have an old Husqvarna 340 that has been used to death for firewood and general clean up around the yard and that of various friends and relatives, but still starts, runs, and cuts great. I always wanted to upgrade to a bigger saw in the 50cc range but never had the cash. Now with a blown up back the 340 is more than enough.

Last edited:
@ylekot Just in case...

Husky's 550XP Mk2 is suppose to be a little 50cc beast. It's a pound more than your your 340. Folks that have them say they are so well balanced they feel lighter than Stihl's MS261 which is the same weight as your 340. I've never run one so can't say. Tried to get one for Christmas but SWMBO says I'm not worth that much! :lol:

I have a newer Stihl at my house and we have one that's a little over 20 years old that we use at the farm. Both are reliable.

With that said, I favor this Shindaiwa 500 we bought new in the early 80's. It's got a different sound than the newer stuff. It sounds like a chainsaw should. Often times, I just let it idle while I am moving brush or doing other things just so I can hear it purr...lol

20220210_131437.jpg

Last edited:

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
@ylekot Just in case...

Husky's 550XP Mk2 is suppose to be a little 50cc beast. It's a pound more than your your 340. Folks that have them say they are so well balanced they feel lighter than Stihl's MS261 which is the same weight as your 340. I've never run one so can't say. Tried to get one for Christmas but SWMBO says I'm not worth that much! :lol:
I'm not worth that much either!

So far, so good, though I had to corral a wayward bar nut and tighten the chain. I’m successfully through my first “tank” of premix!

9F045B41-AF1B-4D8F-8697-CB0B946E431F.jpeg1D941EB0-9251-4256-9787-EB5971107AF1.jpeg

Top Bottom