What's new

Show us your Japanese Natural Whetstones

Hey isn't this a pic thread? :001_005:

file1-15.jpeg

2B69E417-DBA3-4BCB-A406-2BDC844185B7.jpeg
BB30861D-DAA6-40A3-AEA8-64A864F0D262.jpeg

A large chunk of Aiwatani. I got this one for an unbelievably low price, I hesitate to say. Picked it up from a trusted Japanese eBay/Etsy vendor in an auction during the middle of the month (which the vendor told me was the best time of the month to bid). I slapped some Nagura on there and the kamisori for comparison.
This stone is the heaviest stone in my collection at roughly 2.7 kg.

I’ve finished a few razors on it but it’s not my favorite finisher. More a last stone before Awasedo. Its very glassy sounding, perhaps medium in hardness (lvl 4), and slurry is creamy but mild in thickness.

I sealed it with 5 coats of cashew lacquer. 3 just didn’t seem enough as it greedily ‘drank’ the first two thin coats.

This one about a year. It had a tragic story on its journey here.
When I received it the postal employees where not kind. It spit along a namazu line.
With some cutting edge surgical technique I was able to save its life. Now it is perfect for razor or knife.

karasuiromono injury.jpg Karasuiromono.jpg

Ok - I’ll take your word for it. I will say this, my point was only to say that he is shipping from China and not Japan. But he says Japan. The buyer finds out only after he’s committed to buying and can do nothing about it.

Anyway - I think we’ve talked the Russian guy to death. Though I could go on forever on that. :)

But I won’t.

I’m honing on a thin, but very hard Ozuku Asagi. I think this is my second hardest stone, under this brick of a Tenjyo Suita I bought a few months ago. I posted it earlier in the thread and it’s in my media section too.

I’m buying a lot of stones from domestic (US) sellers lately. I’ve been all over Alex’s site, Japan Stone and picked up my Shinden from AFramesTokyo, he’s got great stuff. And I know Alex is top of the line. And of course, Tomo Nagura and Keith.
I have to give that asagi a look. They are beautiful stones.
Thanks!

Very hard, fast kiita. One of the stones that can and will take you from 1k to the finish. The darker color on the right side of the first pic is water drying.

fullsizeoutput_265.jpeg
IMG_2638.JPG

Hey isn't this a pic thread? :001_005:

View attachment 968636
Beautiful, what stone is it.

This one about a year. It had a tragic story on its journey here.
When I received it the postal employees where not kind. It spit along a namazu line.
With some cutting edge surgical technique I was able to save its life. Now it is perfect for razor or knife.

View attachment 968726 View attachment 968727
No evidence of the mishap, awesome technique.

Very hard, fast kiita. One of the stones that can and will take you from 1k to the finish. The darker color on the right side of the first pic is water drying.

View attachment 968826 View attachment 968827
Yesterday I went straight from one k to nagura progressions. Not quite there but will resume today.
I got the Asano naguras from the bay and noticed that the tenjyo takes most effort to raise slurry. Mejiro and Koma release it quickly and without much pressure.
Was under the impression that naguras get harder as you move further to finer ones.

Regarding Mikawa, not always hardness moves up as you progress. I have some old komas and they are much softer and easier to slurry comparing to what one would call modern ones. Of course my experience is limited so making conclusions from a handful of stones can be misleading.
The 1k to finish on the kiita was done with 1200 Atoma slurry. No Mikawa, no tomo. I still feel that finishing on tomo takes the edge a bit further. My very best edges have come from thin tomo slurries. Very hard stone with very hard tomo combo. Funny thing is that 6 months from now my opinion may change and I will see something different. That's the thing I like about honing, still learning and will be learning for a very long time. Keeps me from getting bored:)

Got this Koppa from CKTG, very hard it was a bear to lap. Just put an edge on a previously shaving Henckels with 1200 Atoma slurry. We’ll see how the shave goes tonight or tomorrow. This to me is the “Goldilocks” size around 6*3.25”.
974B5A84-A6B8-4353-A26C-55F8E9512C4C.jpeg
2C282080-6488-4DE5-9842-17D263A093B1.jpeg

How are the shaves guys? Nice hones.
Solid, but it could be better. I'm going to have to "dial" in to this stone a bit more. Overall though I'm very happy with the stone for the money and look forward to working with it more. I just sealed it last night because of all of the inclusions.

How are the shaves guys? Nice hones.
Smooth shave, wish it was abit closer. But to be honest i probably just need to get to know the stone better, could probably have polished up the razor abit more.
I do too much experiments with stones. Need to lay back abit and work with just one stone :001_rolle

Beautiful stones! Just picked one up too. Can’t wait for it to arrive.
You won’t be disappointed. I horned up another razor today that I restored for a member here. Went 1.5k Shapton straight to 1200 Atoma slurry. Started with some circles then moved on to x strokes lightening the pressure as I went. No dilutions, the shave was fantastic super comfortable BBS.

You won’t be disappointed. I horned up another razor today that I restored for a member here. Went 1.5k Shapton straight to 1200 Atoma slurry. Started with some circles then moved on to x strokes lightening the pressure as I went. No dilutions, the shave was fantastic super comfortable BBS.
Sounds awesome. Can’t wait to try it out. The only hones I have currently are coticules so will be fun to learn something new.

Sounds like a really handy stone, im impressed!

Top Bottom