What's new

Show us your Japanese Natural Whetstones

He has evolved. Take his occasional sale of koma over the years. I posted the pic 2 years ago. Asano like stamps but the wrong color. Next step, colors get right. People who have years of knowledge and expertise in jnats and I talked to speculated that he was stamping Chu nagura. Who knows.
I am pretty sure he has a connection in Japan and they push stones together. At the quantity he is selling we are talking about a business. This is not a guy that just randomly buys on the internet and then sells. 2 different eBay accounts and add to that that he used to have a dedicated store where he sold his nicer pieces.
Bottom line, it's a free world and he can sell whatever he wants but I refuse to support him. Some stuff looks decent but I dont bid on his auctions. If somebody gets a spectacular stone for few dollars then God bless. It aint gonna be me.

Yeah he also sells even more on yahoo.jp. He does get some stones from there as I have seen some there and then they show up on his ebay listings. Yeah he just sold a big Koma on his ebay for lots. Hope the buyer didn't get a chu. I keep watching cause I want to see what he does next.

Idk what I’d do with all my rage if I paid Koma prices from Japan and got Chu from Russia. I can’t justify Current Koma prices even if it ended up being the real thing.

How crazy is it to think we’ve built a market where first time buyers are more likely to gamble on an eBay stone with a stamp on it than search out used classified ads on whatever forum? If that doesn’t say something about the mysticism around certain mine and stone names...

I think it comes down to the fact that people are willing to gamble in the hope of saving few dollars instead of buying from verified sources.

If you’ve never experienced a good JNAT edge I guess I’d be questioning if it’s worth $150+ for a good size, good performing, but not pretty chunk of rock. And I would definitely struggle with asking an old line retailer why one rock is 50% more expensive than another and getting an answer like “more skin” or “better pattern”.

I really need to go buy an ugly super hard grey rock actually... I’m only missing one of those and a decent chunk of suita.

Suitas are sweet. I am in the middle of suita fever and picked few new ones recently. One turned out to be very very hard, like a good finishing awasedo - pulled a whole nagura progression on it and finished with tomo. :)

Suitas are sweet. I am in the middle of suita fever and picked few new ones recently. One turned out to be very very hard, like a good finishing awasedo - pulled a whole nagura progression on it and finished with tomo. :)

No way! You could put “this suita is hard as a razor awasedo” into more broken English and it sounds like a claim straight from our comrade.

Is that one going into the private collection?

Mozambique is a country in Africa.
Come on man we live in the age of internet and can confirm just about anything online.

No no, I think we are misunderstanding one another. I know Mozambique is a country in Africa.

What I’m saying is the guy isn’t in Japan, but he gives off the impression that he is shipping from Japan.

Confirm what? All I’m saying is the guy is a fraudster. Buyer beware. Caveat emptor.

First of all Kansai is an area in Japan.
I have been very clear on what i think about our Russian "friend", and ofcourse the stone i bought is not from him as i wrote in my post.
I wrote in another post that even if his stones are 100% genuine i wont buy from him.

Reading your response - I think we are misunderstanding one another. I’m not sure why you appear to be taking me the wrong way. Hey, if you got a stone from this guy and you like it and are happy, that’s all that matters in the end right? I’m just saying, the guy is damn shady.

And when I fly to Japan I fly into Kansai International Airport. But my point in saying that was merelty to point out that he’s lying about where his stuff ships out of and just looking at his past auctions shows this clearly.

My last word on Kossy on eBay is just that maybe he might sell you (plural) a great stone - and buy from whoever you wish, none of my business, but what he’s willing to write and misrepresent in his listings is enough to keep me from buying from him.

Reading your response - I think we are misunderstanding one another. I’m not sure why you appear to be taking me the wrong way. Hey, if you got a stone from this guy and you like it and are happy, that’s all that matters in the end right? I’m just saying, the guy is damn shady.

And when I fly to Japan I fly into Kansai International Airport. But my point in saying that was merelty to point out that he’s lying about where his stuff ships out of and just looking at his past auctions shows this clearly.

My last word on Kossy on eBay is just that maybe he might sell you (plural) a great stone - and buy from whoever you wish, none of my business, but what he’s willing to write and misrepresent in his listings is enough to keep me from buying from him.
Yes i think we misunderstand eatchother.
But it seemed like you left things out in my post and twisted it into something i didnt say. Like, IF i have bought a stone from the russian guy and am happy with it. I clearly say from where i bought the stone and that i will never buy from the russian guy.

Off topic, kansai is an area in Japan which includes Osaka and Kyoto ect.
Tokyo international airport is also an airport but that doesnt make Tokyo an airport.

Im sorry if i come of somewhat arrogant. But i feel like it is important to be correct in what im saying.

Just got this lovely brick of Shinden Suita today - my first Shinden - and now I know why people make a big deal out of these stones. I’ve been honing on it for a good part of the day and I’m really happy with the results. It’s got a glassy yet creamy feedback.

I did not get a Tomo with it and I’d like to - I have a nice collection of tomos but no Shinden. I know I don’t have to have one to enjoy this stone but I’d like to pick one up. Any suggestions on dealers? Do you have experience with a stone such as this one? If so, what do you think?

Yes i think we misunderstand eatchother.
But it seemed like you left things out in my post and twisted it into something i didnt say. Like, IF i have bought a stone from the russian guy and am happy with it. I clearly say from where i bought the stone and that i will never buy from the russian guy.

Off topic, kansai is an area in Japan which includes Osaka and Kyoto ect.
Tokyo international airport is also an airport but that doesnt make Tokyo an airport.

Im sorry if i come of somewhat arrogant. But i feel like it is important to be correct in what im saying.

Well, I don’t try to “twist” things but there are implications and permissible interpretations based on the words one uses. I may not have used the exact same words but I tried, and apparently failed, to capture your meaning. But this isn’t a linguistics or logic forum.

Arrogant?! Nah, don’t worry about it. You won’t hurt my feelings. I argue professionally. And I’ve done my time in much tougher forums than the vaunted shaving forums. Though I’ll admit I just wanted to hone, and was reluctant to join these forums based on what I’d heard of the amount of fighting that goes on in these forums.

And please, if I misunderstood you, and that’s highly possible, I do that a lot, then please set me straight. My sincere apologies for missing your point.

As to the Russian: I want to spread the word. I don’t sell stones. I buy them. So my interest is not a competitive one.
I have to admit I’m out for blood with that Russian vendor. I didn’t buy anything from him but I did participate in two of his auctions recently and if you pay close attention to the timing of the bids and the indentity of the bidders (if possible, as many of his auctions have only ‘private listing’ - which is strange as well). The auctions where the bidders were not private listing were all the same accounts. There are at least ten different accounts bidding on his stones. So he is jacking up the price. I also noticed that when the auction ended only a day or two later the same stone appears in his listings again.

Well, I don’t try to “twist” things but there are implications and permissible interpretations based on the words one uses. I may not have used the exact same words but I tried, and apparently failed, to capture your meaning. But this isn’t a linguistics or logic forum.

Arrogant?! Nah, don’t worry about it. You won’t hurt my feelings. I argue professionally. And I’ve done my time in much tougher forums than the vaunted shaving forums. Though I’ll admit I just wanted to hone, and was reluctant to join these forums based on what I’d heard of the amount of fighting that goes on in these forums.

And please, if I misunderstood you, and that’s highly possible, I do that a lot, then please set me straight. My sincere apologies for missing your point.

As to the Russian: I want to spread the word. I don’t sell stones. I buy them. So my interest is not a competitive one.
I have to admit I’m out for blood with that Russian vendor. I didn’t buy anything from him but I did participate in two of his auctions recently and if you pay close attention to the timing of the bids and the indentity of the bidders (if possible, as many of his auctions have only ‘private listing’ - which is strange as well). The auctions where the bidders were not private listing were all the same accounts. There are at least ten different accounts bidding on his stones. So he is jacking up the price. I also noticed that when the auction ended only a day or two later the same stone appears in his listings again.
Alright im glad we can put that behind us.
I didnt wish to give you any bad experience with this forum, but others read and use this forum as a source for information and has helped many, including me. That is also the reason i want to be as clear and correct as possible in what i say.
I have only had good experience with the members on this forum, i didnt aim to one of the ones giving bad experience, the oposite actually.

As for the Russian guy, i dont think anyone on this forum is supporting/defending him. The ones who have bought from him have probably done so unaware. Hence the reason hes changing name all the time.
But alot of guys here are spreading the word and characteristics about him. And i can be nothing but grateful for that.

Abit funny hes buying from 330mate aswell. I have been in contact with 330mate and they dont sell razor class stones, they however told me that they sell some higher class stones for "skilled workers" i belive was the word they used. They do have some "lesser class" stones aswell though.
They refered me to another vendor who probably has them.

Last edited:
I must agree with everything you said. They do look synthetic. Beautiful stone! What’s it like to hone with?

One of my favorites. Very hard stone that doesn't feel glassy or dead, despite the hardness there is some plasticity to it if that makes sense. Easy to work with and land a good edge. Just hone on thin slurry and stop.
True razor hone. The fact that it came with the famous stamp and in a box just adds to the whole story.

Alright im glad we can put that behind us.
I didnt wish to give you any bad experience with this forum, but others read and use this forum as a source for information and has helped many, including me. That is also the reason i want to be as clear and correct as possible in what i say.
I have only had good experience with the members on this forum, i didnt aim to one of the ones giving bad experience, the oposite actually.

As for the Russian guy, i dont think anyone on this forum is supporting/defending him. The ones who have bought from him have probably done so unaware. Hence the reason hes changing name all the time.
But alot of guys here are spreading the word and characteristics about him. And i can be nothing but grateful for that.

Abit funny hes buying from 330mate aswell. I have been in contact with 330mate and they dont sell razor class stones, they however told me that they sell some higher class stones for "skilled workers" i belive was the word they used. They do have some "lesser class" stones aswell though.
They refered me to another vendor who probably has them.

Well - as you get to know me you’ll realize that I’m also very interested in clarity in language use. After all, I do it for a living. My training is in law and philosophy and both groups spend copious amounts of time and energy defining terms, or trying to capture meaning in word and symbols.

Most of the time people are talking past one another. They aren’t trying to answer the same question or both participants have different goals they seek to obtain in the conversation. I’m all about putting the discussion back on, and keeping it on the same tracks.

I also wanted to point out - regarding Kansai - that the Russian fellow has listed - and this was what I believed strange and the reason for what I said about it last night - “Kyoto, Kansai, Japan,” as item location.

Yes, Kansai is an actual place, though a prefecture. Kyoto is not located in that prefecture. Osaka, however, is located there and so is Kansai International Airport. When you look at auctions closed and actual stones sold - he shows economy shipping Hong Kong, China. But he has found a way to mislead prospective buyers by squeezing “Kyoto, Japan,” in his listings, despite having nothing to do with Kyoto.

And, I am one of those folks who uses this forum as a place of information but I would like to say, for those long timers, who’ve been here for some time, that the shaving forums reputation preceeded it and that reputation isn’t a good one. One hears all sorts of things about trolling, fighting, contentious arguments etc. Before I even signed up here I’d prepared myself for all of this and I would think if we want to expand the membership or increase interest “we” as a community might do some things to subvert that reputation.

One of my favorites. Very hard stone that doesn't feel glassy or dead, despite the hardness there is some plasticity to it if that makes sense. Easy to work with and land a good edge. Just hone on thin slurry and stop.
True razor hone. The fact that it came with the famous stamp and in a box just adds to the whole story.

Superb!

I am actually looking for a particular stone and I wanted to discuss that with you. I’ve been looking for months and the internet, as far as I can use it, has not turned up any positive results. I figured I’d consult you on that and see what your thoughts are - really, just looking for a large Tenjyo Nagura benchstone but not Betsu-jo. Tokkyu. I’ve seen one but that belonged to someone’s personal collection and they aren’t parting with it for the time being.

Well - as you get to know me you’ll realize that I’m also very interested in clarity in language use. After all, I do it for a living. My training is in law and philosophy and both groups spend copious amounts of time and energy defining terms, or trying to capture meaning in word and symbols.

Most of the time people are talking past one another. They aren’t trying to answer the same question or both participants have different goals they seek to obtain in the conversation. I’m all about putting the discussion back on, and keeping it on the same tracks.

I also wanted to point out - regarding Kansai - that the Russian fellow has listed - and this was what I believed strange and the reason for what I said about it last night - “Kyoto, Kansai, Japan,” as item location.

Yes, Kansai is an actual place, though a prefecture. Kyoto is not located in that prefecture. Osaka, however, is located there and so is Kansai International Airport. When you look at auctions closed and actual stones sold - he shows economy shipping Hong Kong, China. But he has found a way to mislead prospective buyers by squeezing “Kyoto, Japan,” in his listings, despite having nothing to do with Kyoto.

And, I am one of those folks who uses this forum as a place of information but I would like to say, for those long timers, who’ve been here for some time, that the shaving forums reputation preceeded it and that reputation isn’t a good one. One hears all sorts of things about trolling, fighting, contentious arguments etc. Before I even signed up here I’d prepared myself for all of this and I would think if we want to expand the membership or increase interest “we” as a community might do some things to subvert that reputation.
For clarification, if you dont want to take my word for it.
Kansai region - Wikipedia
And we can all agree on that the Russian guy does not ship from that region.
I am well aware of that this is fraud, and i dont support it one bit. On top of this he chill bids, so that is taking it to another level.

For clarification, if you dont want to take my word for it.
Kansai region - Wikipedia
And we can all agree on that the Russian guy does not ship from that region.
I am well aware of that this is fraud, and i dont support it one bit. On top of this he chill bids, so that is taking it to another level.

Ok - I’ll take your word for it. I will say this, my point was only to say that he is shipping from China and not Japan. But he says Japan. The buyer finds out only after he’s committed to buying and can do nothing about it.

Anyway - I think we’ve talked the Russian guy to death. Though I could go on forever on that. :)

But I won’t.

I’m honing on a thin, but very hard Ozuku Asagi. I think this is my second hardest stone, under this brick of a Tenjyo Suita I bought a few months ago. I posted it earlier in the thread and it’s in my media section too.

I’m buying a lot of stones from domestic (US) sellers lately. I’ve been all over Alex’s site, Japan Stone and picked up my Shinden from AFramesTokyo, he’s got great stuff. And I know Alex is top of the line. And of course, Tomo Nagura and Keith.

Top Bottom