What's new

Show us your Japanese Natural Whetstones

Thank guys. The main thing is it is super fine and yields lovely smooth edges.
Oh and just realized the wet pic showing the iromono got cut off.

View attachment 978022

Sure looks my Narutaki. Came from Alex G. Pretty colors indeed. It's my go-to stone for my premium kitchen knives. Still working on figuring it out for razors. Alex said it worked for him, but it's eluding me as a razor finisher right now.
D4S_4974email.JPG

I have a cute little laser-sharp funayuki that I bought from Murray Carter about twenty years ago, and a master smith gyuto that I got from him last year. A true work of art. I also have two carbon steel Japanese knives that I picked up in Little Tokyo in LA forever ago. Stained, used, but never abused for many years, still excellent (bargain priced) knives.
1557068067376-661950139.jpg
Here's Murray's gyuto. That's a twenty inch cutting board for scale's sake. Good size knife that definitely prefers a pinch grip for control during fine work.

Sure looks my Narutaki. Came from Alex G. Pretty colors indeed. It's my go-to stone for my premium kitchen knives. Still working on figuring it out for razors. Alex said it worked for him, but it's eluding me as a razor finisher right now. View attachment 978066

Yes that is a beautiful Narutaki stone. I really like that knife too. Narutaki to me has some of the most beautiful stones and they can be great performs too. The problem you maybe having is the hardness of the stone. In being a knife stone it maybe a bit more on the softer side. I have one I would consider a knife/razor stone. It is my softest, but still like a lv4 no self slurry with a razor and not much with knife pressure. It is a Narutaki iromono I believe, but that is just a guess based on the color and pattern. Was just sold as a Sho Honyama as it was purchased in Japan and used as a razor stone, but then purchased by the buyers friend as a knife stone. I then got it from that friend. It requires a super light touch and water only to finish. When I say light touch I mean like the blade is floating in water on the stone. It will yield an edge way sharper than a Coticule, but with the same smooth feel as a coticule edge. My only problem is I like barber hand held stones and this one is 1.3kg and I have other bench size knife stones. So this one doesn't get a whole lot of use.

Nakairo1.jpeg

Here it is. Prelim lapping. It's really hard. Beautiful kawa on the back.
Next step is cashew and sone more lapping tomorrow after work.

IMG_3051.JPG
fullsizeoutput_19af.jpeg

Yes that is a beautiful Narutaki stone. I really like that knife too. Narutaki to me has some of the most beautiful stones and they can be great performs too. The problem you maybe having is the hardness of the stone. In being a knife stone it maybe a bit more on the softer side. I have one I would consider a knife/razor stone. It is my softest, but still like a lv4 no self slurry with a razor and not much with knife pressure. It is a Narutaki iromono I believe, but that is just a guess based on the color and pattern. Was just sold as a Sho Honyama as it was purchased in Japan and used as a razor stone, but then purchased by the buyers friend as a knife stone. I then got it from that friend. It requires a super light touch and water only to finish. When I say light touch I mean like the blade is floating in water on the stone. It will yield an edge way sharper than a Coticule, but with the same smooth feel as a coticule edge. My only problem is I like barber hand held stones and this one is 1.3kg and I have other bench size knife stones. So this one doesn't get a whole lot of use.

View attachment 978732

Definitely the Narutaki is softer. Easy to bring up a slurry with mejiro, koma, or the tomo that Alex included.

I'll work on that super light touch and clear water you mentioned. Though if it only ever gets my kitchen knives just how I like them, I'm perfectly fine with that, as I get to play with others (karasu, Shobu Kiita, and Naka mizu) for razors. It's all great.

That is one beautiful karasu!
By the way, how much do you thin your cashew before applying it?

I like it runny. I dilute in a glass jar so looking at the bottom of the jar you want it nicely flowing and not too sticky to the glass. When watery you need more layers but the application is more even and in my opinion better looking.

Tom I think I will leave the kawa be on this one. I have a mizu that has a nice thick kawa, covered it and honestly I kind of regret it.

Top Bottom