What's new

Show us your butterscotch brushes!

timwcic

"Look what I found"
A Made-Rite 303 in its labeled house. Uncommon to find in its box in this condition

0569AF0A-F0B3-4D7D-AC88-E0D0D741E34D.jpeg
46CB1E3E-924A-4887-96C3-94359A5F6D5A.jpeg
0F53D4C4-1EA5-4A76-860B-3014D847CA11.jpeg

I was very happy to be the only bidder on this NOS brush recently. I have now used it and it's rather good, as well as being I think rather pretty. Coupla q.s for the experts here if you don't mind...

1.) There's no maker on this anywhere afaics, so I was wondering if anyone recognized the sticker? I thought the handle looked fairly Simpson-like, however the knot isn't all badger. It's badger round the outside and boar in the middle I think, and I'm not sure Simpson ever did that?

IMG_3529.jpg

IMG_3458.jpg

2.) I also have a very nice old Japanese Ribbon razor, where the plastic scales have done a similar kind of 'butterscotching'. Would these be made out of the same thing then? Or do lots of plastics do it?

IMG_3537.jpg

IMG_3534.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I was very happy to be the only bidder on this NOS brush recently. I have now used it and it's rather good, as well as being I think rather pretty. Coupla q.s for the experts here if you don't mind...

1.) There's no maker on this anywhere afaics, so I was wondering if anyone recognized the sticker? I thought the handle looked fairly Simpson-like, however the knot isn't all badger. It's badger round the outside and boar in the middle I think, and I'm not sure Simpson ever did that?

View attachment 1805474

View attachment 1805454

2.) I also have a very nice old Japanese Ribbon razor, where the plastic scales have done a similar kind of 'butterscotching'. Would these be made out of the same thing then? Or do lots of plastics do it?

View attachment 1805504

View attachment 1805503

The knot might be boar dyed to look like badger, but I'm not at all sure.

The straight looks to me like it might be bakelite but I'm no expert.

In any case, these are both great finds.

7-16-23.Plasticet.Bakelite.Lake.640.JPG

This old brush and its stand are bakelite for sure. Bakelite goes through a number of color changes over time.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The knot might be boar dyed to look like badger, but I'm not at all sure.

The straight looks to me like it might be bakelite but I'm no expert.

In any case, these are both great finds.

View attachment 1805514

This old brush and its stand are bakelite for sure. Bakelite goes through a number of color changes over time.

Happy shaves,

Jim

It’s a bit tricky to see in my pics above, but the sticker says ‘bristle & badger’ at the top, and has a picture of a badger’s head in the middle.

To my eye it looks like a little bit of badger round the outside and then boar in the middle? (Though I know very little about brushes tbh).

IMG_3482.jpeg

Yours is lovely btw! Mine certainly hasn’t gone that dark yet.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It’s a bit tricky to see in my pics above, but the sticker says ‘bristle & badger’ at the top, and has a picture of a badger’s head in the middle.

To my eye it looks like a little bit of badger round the outside and then boar in the middle? (Though I know very little about brushes tbh).

View attachment 1805537

Yours is lovely btw! Mine certainly hasn’t gone that dark yet.

Very interesting "mistura!"

Thanks for clarifying the construction.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom